Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The Pentagon announcing that it will be spending 1.5 TRILLION dollars on the F-35 fighter program.

The huge amount of money aside, it's a totally unjustified expenditure of money that could be so better served elsewhere.

All the justifications that those defending it use for this are daft. Yeah, 9/11 would really have been prevented by a new fighter instead of the top of the line ones (F-22s) you have already which are far ahead of anything anyone else has (including what the Russians and Chinese are coming up with). And yes, I'm sure splurging on a new fighter will stop Putin from escalating in the Ukraine rather than...say, your existing nuclear stockpile. There just is zero need for it.

It just strikes me as a truly colossal waste of money, especially when you see how broken the healthcare and education systems are in the US.

The Pentagon announcing that it will be spending 1.5 TRILLION dollars on the F-35 fighter program.

The huge amount of money aside, it's a totally unjustified expenditure of money that could be so better served elsewhere.

All the justifications that those defending it use for this are daft. Yeah, 9/11 would really have been prevented by a new fighter instead of the top of the line ones (F-22s) you have already which are far ahead of anything anyone else has (including what the Russians and Chinese are coming up with). And yes, I'm sure splurging on a new fighter will stop Putin from escalating in the Ukraine rather than...say, your existing nuclear stockpile. There just is zero need for it.

It just strikes me as a truly colossal waste of money, especially when you see how broken the healthcare and education systems are in the US.

It keeps a huge amount of highly skilled engineers and scientists in work though and they all pay taxes. The US arms industry is more like a high end workfare programme.

It keeps a huge amount of highly skilled engineers and scientists in work though and they all pay taxes. The US arms industry is more like a high end workfare programme.

That's the one benefit it brings, and you're right - It is a big one.

Isn't it sad though when the finest minds in the STEM industry are largely working on ways to kill and maim other humans?

There should be less objectionable but equally demanding pursuits for such people to be employed in on a mass scale.

Edited by leicsmac

They could in fact use those same engineers and mighty brains to work on less lethal tech, and invest that same money on something with better returns for humanity, instead of for keeping their buddies stock portfolios healthy.

Weren't you talking about the need to defeat ISIS the other day? How they gon' do that without no fighter jets?

Managers getting fined for expressing views about the performance of referees. Provided they are not abusive or insulting a manager should be able to express their opinion.

Can't see how the present rules are compatible with free speech.

Everybody in the game has to come out and face the media, apart from referees. It's so wrong.

Weren't you talking about the need to defeat ISIS the other day? How they gon' do that without no fighter jets?

IS might as well be using Sopwith Camels, though, compared to current us military technology. That's mac's point.

This isn't money on buying a few new jets it's money on developing whole new ones.

It's worth pointing out davieg's recent budget graph thread and how much the states already over spends on "defence" to begin with.

• Like 1

That's the one benefit it brings, and you're right - It is a big one.

Isn't it sad though when the finest minds in the STEM industry are largely working on ways to kill and maim other humans?

There should be less objectionable but equally demanding pursuits for such people to be employed in on a mass scale.

My Dad was an MD at British Aerospace and his proudest boast was he never worked on a military project, space science and projects like concorde filled his career.

Rude hospital staff. I understand it must be pretty demanding at times and the hours can be long but surely there should still be an element of customer servive.

We had our 20 week scan and the sonographer was so miserable and blunt it ruined it for my girlfriend. The baby wasn't in the right position to find out the sex so she just said "that's not what this scan is for, it's to check the baby is healthy".

That's fine and obviously the main thing but her manner was really poor.

rude people in general are not ok imo 

edit - probably even more frustrating with a hospital cos you can't exactly take matters into your own hands and never go back or start using the competition instead cos, er, it's a hospital 

Edited by ScouseFox

Rude hospital staff. I understand it must be pretty demanding at times and the hours can be long but surely there should still be an element of customer servive.

We had our 20 week scan and the sonographer was so miserable and blunt it ruined it for my girlfriend. The baby wasn't in the right position to find out the sex so she just said "that's not what this scan is for, it's to check the baby is healthy".

Where was that?  I dunno about you, but I'm always a bit nervous about these things and someone being a cantankerous arse isn't going to ease the tension is it?  Maybe we've been lucky but everyone we've ever seen at the LRI has been really nice.  Hope everything was alright

rude people in general are not ok imo

edit - probably even more frustrating with a hospital cos you can't exactly take matters into your own hands and never go back or start using the competition instead cos, er, it's a hospital

Yeah there was just no need for it. Supposed to be a special moment for us and she just made it really uncomfortable.

Where was that? I dunno about you, but I'm always a bit nervous about these things and someone being a cantankerous arse isn't going to ease the tension is it? Maybe we've been lucky but everyone we've ever seen at the LRI has been really nice. Hope everything was alright

It was at the LRI mate. Yeah exactly, you're just finding oit if everything is ok with your baby and you're made to feel like you're an inconvenience, it upset my partner more than it did me but it was just a little bit tactless.

Everything is fine though so that eased things and we have a private scan booked for Wednesday to find out the gender (girlfriend's choice lol )

£40! :o

It was at the LRI mate. Yeah exactly, you're just finding oit if everything is ok with your baby and you're made to feel like you're an inconvenience, it upset my partner more than it did me but it was just a little bit tactless.

Everything is fine though so that eased things and we have a private scan booked for Wednesday to find out the gender (girlfriend's choice lol )

£40! :o

£40 is really cheap compared to some prices you see. It was £100 when i looked to have a private scan

Complain.  No one ever does so nothing changes.

Leicester Royal Infirmary = :crylaugh: but then you remember they are responsible for your health care and it becomes :o:unsure::S:cry:

I'm sure there are some individuals that work there that genuinely do care but I have largely experienced incompetency and apathy

Complain. No one ever does so nothing changes.

Suppose we could. It was more her attitude than what she actually said though so probably wouldn't take much notice.

She also complained that there were two people in there with my girlfriend. She said it's not meant to

be a social event lol

Leicester Royal Infirmary = :crylaugh: but then you remember they are responsible for your health care and it becomes :o:unsure::S:cry:

I'm sure there are some individuals that work there that genuinely do care but I have largely experienced incompetency and apathy

In all honesty its the only bad experience I've had there and I'm sure the majority of staff are great