Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Keep getting "payment due or else we'll take legal action" letters to our house. They were addressed to the "owner" but since I phoned them up to resolve it the letters are now in my name. Don't feel it's exactly fair when there's seven of us. Started paying it off in parts now so it's ££ each but still think one isn't going to pay which will leave it in my name. Got a letter this morning so going to ring them later again when I'm in.

Keep getting "payment due or else we'll take legal action" letters to our house. They were addressed to the "owner" but since I phoned them up to resolve it the letters are now in my name. Don't feel it's exactly fair when there's seven of us. Started paying it off in parts now so it's ££ each but still think one isn't going to pay which will leave it in my name. Got a letter this morning so going to ring them later again when I'm in.

As if you acknowledged it - that makes you liable.

It's like acknowledging a "parking charge notice" in a private car park. Do nothing and it'll go away - contact them to 'resolve' it is acknowledging it and you then enter into a contract and agree to pay them by acknowledging it.

And as if you've actually started paying them as well

Edited by DB11

Guest MattP

As if you acknowledged it - that makes you liable.

It's like acknowledging a "parking charge notice" in a private car park. Do nothing and it'll go away - contact them to 'resolve' it is acknowledging it and you then enter into a contract and agree to pay them by acknowledging it.

And as if you've actually started paying them as well

Spot on, never acknowledge any fine you get - train fares exactly the same, ignore it and it goes away.

Spot on, never acknowledge any fine you get - train fares exactly the same, ignore it and it goes away.

Not so sure about the train one. They are covered by railway byelaws, similar to parking in a council car park, and evasion of paying those fines are punishable by law.

It's the private ones, which at worst can take you to civil court for compensation, it's worth ignoring because them chasing you will cost them too much money.

The law changed re parking on private land last year - you shouldn't ignore it any more.  You should go on to moneysaving expert forums, there is loads of advice on there.  If you ignore it you put yourself in for lots of hassle, whereas you can make it go away in most cases with a couple of emails or letters.  I did this a couple of months ago and won my appeal with POPLA.

Forums

What is this for?  Switchover of what?  Sounds like a scam.

What is this for?  Switchover of what?  Sounds like a scam.

Thought it was a scam at first that's why I looked into it. We switched providers, got told it was a switchover fee so I phoned EDF to confirm and they said it's not a switchover fee (apparently they don't charge them) but it covers everything that gets moved over. 

Obviously little (none) personal experience with all of this.

Edited by Fox92

The law changed re parking on private land last year - you shouldn't ignore it any more.  You should go on to moneysaving expert forums, there is loads of advice on there.  If you ignore it you put yourself in for lots of hassle, whereas you can make it go away in most cases with a couple of emails or letters.  I did this a couple of months ago and won my appeal with POPLA.

Forums

I've ignored them twice and they've gone away. One for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a badge and one for overstaying in Morrisons car park going to an evening game watching Leicester.

I did my research on the PePiPoo forums, who were quite helpful

Edited by DB11

Guest MattP

****ing Mumsnet and anyone in the media that thinks Mumsnet is a credible source for opinions, facts, information or anything else of value.

Sexist.

Sexist.

I think I actually am a bit sexist. I get really irritable every time I want to check the sorts headlines and the beeb are force feeding me women's football and rugby and posting stories about why they aren't paid as much as blokes or whatever.

Probably because they're crap and nobody's watching? Idfk.

• Like 1

The point about private car parks is that it is the driver who is liable, not the car owner. If they cannot identify the car driver, they can't do anything.

My son mistakenly drove into a bus lane at Luton airport in my wife's car. She got the penalty notice. I rang the parking company and said she was at work and wasn't driving and to stop bothering us.

They wanted to know the name of the driver, I refused to answer as obviously I don't need to. I did say information costs money and if they paid me £1000, I would find put who the driver was.

They got a bit ratty, but we didn't here from them again.