Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I always find that handy, I just Jam it all in my pocket and then sort it out when I get home or wherever I'm going. There's no time to be faffing around with compartments when you're in a queue.

:nono:  :thumbdown:

If they did it the other way round - coins first, paperwork second - it would be just as quick, you'd be able to put your money away in neat compartments and you wouldn't have to faff around when you got home.

Unless I'm completely losing it, I'm sure people used to do that. A change has happened - and not for the better!!  :mad:

• Like 1

If they did it the other way round - coins first, paperwork second - it would be just as quick, you'd be able to put your money away in neat compartments and you wouldn't have to faff around when you got home.

Unless I'm completely losing it, I'm sure people used to do that. A change has happened - and not for the better!!  :mad:

My advice would be to pay on card, then you don't have this problem at all :D

I always gave change out like that when I worked in Co-op, it was surprising how many people thanked me and said they wished everyone did that lol

But then there was a significant amount of stupid people that a) walked away before I could give them the note, thus I had to shout them to get their attention (but then they still thanked me for letting them know!) or the other people that started kicking off saying I'd shortchanged them because they were expecting a £5 or £10 note on top of the change before I could give it to them.

http://www.koreaobserver.com/south-korea-ranks-most-stressful-country-for-children-26946

Taught a kid yesterday who has state school from 8.20-2.30, a piano lesson from 2.30-3.40, a taekwondo lesson from 4.40-5.30, time at my English academy from 6.00-7.45, a maths academy from 7.45-8.45 and a Korean linguistics school from 8.45-9.45. Every day of the week.

He's eleven years old, and says that he hates his parents for pushing him into all of this but can't tell them.

I couldn't bring myself to tell him off for not doing his homework when he wrote all of that up on the board. It's insane.

And there are those who think the UK education system should be more like this. THAT grinds my gears.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

http://www.koreaobserver.com/south-korea-ranks-most-stressful-country-for-children-26946

Taught a kid yesterday who has state school from 8.20-2.30, a piano lesson from 2.30-3.40, a taekwondo lesson from 4.40-5.30, time at my English academy from 6.00-7.45, a maths academy from 7.45-8.45 and a Korean linguistics school from 8.45-9.45. Every day of the week.

He's eleven years old, and says that he hates his parents for pushing him into all of this but can't tell them.

I couldn't bring myself to tell him off for not doing his homework when he wrote all of that up on the board. It's insane.

And there are those who think the UK education system should be more like this. THAT grinds my gears.

Poor kids. The time I spent in school killed off my natural childhood curiosity and of the love of learning and reading untill I managed to unlearn what I'd learnt. Must be a 100 times worse for these kids because there's no escape even at home.

Guest MattP

I was under the impression they were at school from 8-5ish - state school finishes at half 2?

Are the things after that compulsory? Sounds like a cultural problem rather than the system on what's written there.

I was under the impression they were at school from 8-5ish - state school finishes at half 2?

Are the things after that compulsory? Sounds like a cultural problem rather than the system on what's written there.

They may as well be for the kids themselves. There's kids that don't come out of school and go straight into some hagwons (cram academy for maths, English or other topics) and stay there until past 8pm, but it's pretty rare and in all likelihood because the parents can't afford to send them to them. Given the way the education system is set up here in order to stand up against the competition you have to do it, simply because everyone else does.

In this case, the culture has given rise to the system so they are essentially the same thing.

Let's not beat about the bush here - this is a ten year old kid studying, whether at state school or no, for at least 12 hours a day, five days a week, because his parents think that in order to get anywhere in the system that he must. And he's just one of many.

So he does 8.20am til 2.30pm then 6pm til 9.45pm essentially then, with some leisure pursuits in between. So that's just short of ten hours of schooling. That's not so bad really. Maybe two hours too much but looks like those extra hours are optional, for the parents at least.

Guest MattP

They may as well be for the kids themselves. There's kids that don't come out of school and go straight into some hagwons (cram academy for maths, English or other topics) and stay there until past 8pm, but it's pretty rare and in all likelihood because the parents can't afford to send them to them. Given the way the education system is set up here in order to stand up against the competition you have to do it, simply because everyone else does.

In this case, the culture has given rise to the system so they are essentially the same thing.

Let's not beat about the bush here - this is a ten year old kid studying, whether at state school or no, for at least 12 hours a day, five days a week, because his parents think that in order to get anywhere in the system that he must. And he's just one of many.

They aren't the same thing at all, what are the hours of state schooling in Korea? I was under the impression these kids were being kept in classrooms until all hours by the state, not by their parents sending them off to play the piano and engage in some martial arts in the afternoon.

The fugures quoted in that article might have Korea at the top, but it's only a couple of % in different to some European countries.

So he does 8.20am til 2.30pm then 6pm til 9.45pm essentially then, with some leisure pursuits in between. So that's just short of ten hours of schooling. That's not so bad really. Maybe two hours too much but looks like those extra hours are optional, for the parents at least.

They aren't the same thing at all, what are the hours of state schooling in Korea? I was under the impression these kids were being kept in classrooms until all hours by the state, not by their parents sending them off to play the piano and engage in some martial arts in the afternoon.

The fugures quoted in that article might have Korea at the top, but it's only a couple of % in different to some European countries.

Yes, because learning to play a musical instrument and learning a martial art don't require extreme physical and mental concentration and learning by rote like a in a classoom.

/sarcasm

What gets me is the lack of time this particular child is actually getting to...well, be a kid, rather than being shunted from one school to another every day.

As I said above, the choice you speak of is an illusion. Parents send their kids to these places because if they don't they will in all likelihood fail high school or university entrance exams, and as there is next to no provision in place for those that do fail them the best case scenario is that the kid gets a dead end job and then cannot support his parents in their old age. The worst case is, of course, the kid jumping off a bridge. That doesn't sound like much of a choice to me.

It really doesn't matter that it's the state or the parents or both (as it is in this situation) facilitating this, it's still wrong.

Yes, because learning to play a musical instrument and learning a martial art don't require extreme physical and mental concentration and learning by rote like a in a classoom.

/sarcasm

What gets me is the lack of time this particular child is actually getting to...well, be a kid, rather than being shunted from one school to another every day.

As I said above, the choice you speak of is an illusion. Parents send their kids to these places because if they don't they will in all likelihood fail high school or university entrance exams, and as there is next to no provision in place for those that do fail them the best case scenario is that the kid gets a dead end job and then cannot support his parents in their old age. The worst case is, of course, the kid jumping off a bridge. That doesn't sound like much of a choice to me.

It really doesn't matter that it's the state or the parents or both (as it is in this situation) facilitating this, it's still wrong.

But isn't that their culture? And how the parents would have grown up?

I don't think it's for you to try to impose your culture and beliefs on their social norms.

What does playing the piano or doing martial arts have to do with passing exams? I used to play quite intense games of football for hours everyday after school and all weekend, I don't count that towards the number of hours I was busy. This kid does nine hours of actual school, it's not that bad. If he doesn't like the martial arts and the piano and the parents still push him to do it, then they're a bit cvntish, but it has nothing to do with the school system which is fine.

But isn't that their culture? And how the parents would have grown up?

I don't think it's for you to try to impose your culture and beliefs on their social norms.

Their parents grew up in a different time. Of course I would not dream of actually making this point in the wider world here or seek to actively change things because as you say it's not my place, but that still doesn't stop me lamenting the latest kid who breaks down and says he hates his parents, or the kid who falls asleep at his desk because he started his education day at 8.20 and he's still in my class at 9.30pm (which is the case for the older, high school age students).

What does playing the piano or doing martial arts have to do with passing exams? I used to play quite intense games of football for hours everyday after school and all weekend, I don't count that towards the number of hours I was busy. This kid does nine hours of actual school, it's not that bad. If he doesn't like the martial arts and the piano and the parents still push him to do it, then they're a bit cvntish, but it has nothing to do with the school system which is fine.

Nothing towards the high school or entrance exams, but of course they will still be tested in those areas and (in all likelihood) punished by their parents if they don't achieve as well in those as they do in the other more academic subjects. 

Oops, sorry, I forgot he has a computer IT class too. Here's the pic of what he wrote down:

10429293_10103955158507492_7587893971883

So that's 8.20 to 9.45, that's 13 hours 25 minutes (leaving out the PE from 7-8am which of course doesn't count). Let's take off 45 minutes for lunch at school and the half hour break from 5.30 to 6.00, that leaves about 12 hours total. Even if you discount the two hours piano and taekwondo, that's about 10 hours all told for "essential" topics (those crucial to the big exams), every day, with two breaks for food. He probably then gets home at 9.45pm and has to spend between a half hour and an hour doing homework. And then at 6.20am the following morning the process repeats itself.

This is for a ten year old.

Surely the kid wouldn't be having Tae Kwon do and piano lessons everyday?

Yep. Or so he says, anyway. 

Their parents grew up in a different time. Of course I would not dream of actually making this point in the wider world here or seek to actively change things because as you say it's not my place, but that still doesn't stop me lamenting the latest kid who breaks down and says he hates his parents, or the kid who falls asleep at his desk because he started his education day at 8.20 and he's still in my class at 9.30pm (which is the case for the older, high school age students).

Nothing towards the high school or entrance exams, but of course they will still be tested in those areas and (in all likelihood) punished by their parents if they don't achieve as well in those as they do in the other more academic subjects.

Oops, sorry, I forgot he has a computer IT class too. Here's the pic of what he wrote down:

10429293_10103955158507492_7587893971883

So that's 8.20 to 9.45, that's 13 hours 25 minutes (leaving out the PE from 7-8am which of course doesn't count). Let's take off 45 minutes for lunch at school and the half hour break from 5.30 to 6.00, that leaves about 12 hours total. Even if you discount the two hours piano and taekwondo, that's about 10 hours all told for "essential" topics (those crucial to the big exams), every day, with two breaks for food. He probably then gets home at 9.45pm and has to spend between a half hour and an hour doing homework. And then at 6.20am the following morning the process repeats itself.

This is for a ten year old.

Yep. Or so he says, anyway.

I bet the lazy little shit forgot to factor in potential the 10/15 mins between travelling to and from activities which are essentially doing nothing.

Educational and extra curricular plastic.

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the parents having to drive around dropping him off and picking him up all day.

:D Thankfully, most of the time all the hagwons a student will go to tend to be within one small area, so walking will do the trick. If not, most of them lay on a special bus service for those further away.

Shop assistants giving you your change by placing a banknote (often supplemented by a till receipt and promotional voucher) in your palm with all the coins placed on top....

I mean, do lots of people just stuff banknotes, coins and till receipts in the same wallet compartment or pocket.....or are people getting more stupid.....or do they just not give a shit about showing contempt to others any more?

So it is true what they say...you really are a right miserable barsteward, who cant help yourself.Want people to even organise

your change...Suggestion use a credit card.

Shop assistants giving you your change by placing a banknote (often supplemented by a till receipt and promotional voucher) in your palm with all the coins placed on top....

I mean, do lots of people just stuff banknotes, coins and till receipts in the same wallet compartment or pocket.....or are people getting more stupid.....or do they just not give a shit about showing contempt to others any more?

If I'm ever needed to run a till I give out the notes first then count out all the coins while the customer slides the notes into their wallet.  If the notes are still in your hand when I'm done preparing your coins it's your own bloody fault (I'm not saying this is what happened with you).

My moan is customers who expect shops to do all their thinking for them.  We've had one customer leave disparaging messages on our website because he thinks it's our fault he got fined for parking on a pavement across the road from our shop.  Apparently we should have erected signs on land that doesn't belong to us explaining the highway code.