Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

There are actually people camping outside a hospital waiting for the royal baby hahaha i hope there is a massive scandal and it comes out black

Or even better it comes out ginger and looking like James Hewitt.

the first comment was racist but the second one was just evil.

I think a lot of people are fed up with political correctness and are glad when someone winds the self righteous pricks up. Doesn't mean that they necessarily agree with what's being said.

I find it far more annoying when people use perceived overt political correctness to just be objectly offensive and dress it up as "talking common sense" like all "normal" people should agree.

I work in the absolute epicentre of politically correct euphemisms and I can whole heartedly testify that they can be ridiculous but it's also not even vaguely as prevalent as a fringe in the country like to make out.

We've a massive passion for free speech in the this country and it's rarely hugely challenged by this supposed left-liberal tampon brigade. Almost all of these "political correctness" stories are just rare examples sensationalisesd in the press to make a story.

I don't know anyone in my day to day life that actually buys into that shit.

Edited by Finnegan

I find it far more annoying when people use perceived overt political correctness to just be objectly offensive and dress it up as "talking common sense" like all "normal" people should agree.

I work in the absolute epicentre of politically correct euphemisms and I can whole heartedly testify that they can be ridiculous but it's also not even vaguely as prevalent as a fringe in the country like to make out.

We've a massive passion for free speech in the this country and it's rarely hugely challenged by this supposed left-liberal tampon brigade. Almost all of these "political correctness" stories are just rare examples sensationalisesd in the press to make a story.

I don't know anyone in my day to day life that actually buys into that shit.

Trying to work out whether you're agreeing or not.

went waitrose, saw an electric toothbrush £15, went to checkout and found out it was £50 but im too embarrassed to say anything so i paid for it

Should have asked about it - if it's labelled as £15 then I think you're supposed to be able to have it for £15 - false advertising or something like that

I'm starting to think no-one in Bradford understands how zebra crossings work. Twice today going to and from uni I had to cross over one, the first time the car on the near side of the road stopped and the car on the far side decided to speed up and get through before I made half-way across (and managed because I stopped partway across), on the way home, car on the far side stops, I start to step out and the car coming on the near side speeds up massively to get through before I manage to get a foot on the road. 

Add into that the prevailing view of indicators being optional extras and I'm shocked I've not seen a crash in the past 4 years (well, besides the idiot driving down the wrong side of the road who ploughed into a bollard before the corner)

Edited by The Doctor

Should have asked about it - if it's labelled as £15 then I think you're supposed to be able to have it for £15 - false advertising or something like that

I'm starting to think no-one in Bradford understands how zebra crossings work. Twice today going to and from uni I had to cross over one, the first time the car on the near side of the road stopped and the car on the far side decided to speed up and get through before I made half-way across (and managed because I stopped partway across), on the way home, car on the far side stops, I start to step out and the car coming on the near side speeds up massively to get through before I manage to get a foot on the road. 

Add into that the prevailing view of indicators being optional extras and I'm shocked I've not seen a crash in the past 4 years (well, besides the idiot driving down the wrong side of the road who ploughed into a bollard before the corner)

First one is a myth.

First one is a myth.

Worked for me buying a Christmas tree in tesco a few years back. £70 tree was on a £25 stand, and they honoured the price. They did check with the guy running that area of the store and I think he owned up to the error, but they still honoured it.

Worked for me buying a Christmas tree in tesco a few years back. £70 tree was on a £25 stand, and they honoured the price. They did check with the guy running that area of the store and I think he owned up to the error, but they still honoured it.

I'm not saying they won't honour it but you have no right to it.

Realpolitik.

A cynical, "might makes right" philosophy based on one nation state trying to be better than all of the others that we've got no choice but to adhere to because every fvcker else does, and ensures humans will always stay divided as long as it is pursued - which could one day end up being really bad indeed. Hate it.

Realpolitik.

A cynical, "might makes right" philosophy based on one nation state trying to be better than all of the others that we've got no choice but to adhere to because every fvcker else does, and ensures humans will always stay divided as long as it is pursued - which could one day end up being really bad indeed. Hate it.

Humans have always been and always be divided, but you blame the USA if it makes you feel better.  Never mind the most peaceful period in human history.

Humans have always been and always be divided, but you blame the USA if it makes you feel better.  Never mind the most peaceful period in human history.

That's a bit strawmannish Jon...I didn't mention the US - they're merely one of the biggest players these days. The Russians and the Chinese and most of the other major powers are just as bad at encouraging jingoism and distrust in the name of 'protecting their sovereignity' - Ukraine and the 'Nine Dash Line' being key examples of that. The world is full of powerful people encouraging their nations to do things where so many innocent good people die en masse for shitty reasons that have nothing to do with them.

As for the peace, it's a peace kept entirely by the threat of nuclear holocaust - I'm actually thankful for that, I dread to think where we'd be if that wasn't the case - but it's a peace based on fear, not any kind of altruism or good nature. When the great powers realised they couldn't face each other directly, they started using proxies, and that's still the case now, though as you say on balance it's a more peaceful world now than it ever has been. I guess I'm just annoyed that though we're steadily moving towards a more global society, the stench of realpolitik still hangs in the air and it's taking an awful long time.

I totally agree that humanity has always been divided, still is now and probably always will be...but that doesn't mean I have to like or accept it - not when history shows pretty clearly where that road ends for humans.

Leicsmac I've often seen you post things along the lines of 'humanity needs to act as one' and without trying to sound stupid, what do you mean by that? When people make statements like this I get images of brave new world and 1984, though I imagine this isn't your intention.

Good question.

No, I'm not for a One World Order or any of that rubbish - such ideas are invariably authoritarian, I despise authoritarianism and it would simply result in a world with the power as imbalanced as it is today, or even more so ala 1984. I'm a big fan of power being decentralised amongst as many groups and individuals as is possible, due to how it corrupts people (and it invariably does). However I'm really not a fan of the idea of the nation state either, for the reasons that I describe above. Nations as a whole seem to spend far, far too much time and resources trying to get one over on other nations through military strength, aggressive diplomacy or espionage, often for reasons that are totally absurd and actually have zero to do with the wellbeing of the citizens of that nations and more to do with the wellbeing of certain powerful individuals or groups within that nation (the most recent Iraq war being one key example of that). It's been the case throughout history, and it leads to a great many people dying for utterly pointless reasons.

I'm of the opinion that for certain projects humanity should act with one agenda (space programs, mass environmental and energy projects) because such things are too big for one nation (or even possibly a group) to handle by themselves, and that more emphasis (time, money, resources) should be placed on cooperation in these projects, rather than new ways to fight or otherwise supersede other countries. Such projects should though, of course, be subject to the democratic will of their people, rather than pursued without their consent.

Of course, the way the world is is the way the world is, and I don't see the landscape changing for a while yet, if at all. It would be nice if it did, though.

• Like 1

It must be a bit stressful to go through your entire life constantly worried that in the face of an undefined threat humanity may be wiped out due to a lack of sufficient global collaboration. It's an incredibly obscure thing to be worried about. I can only guess that proximity to North Korea is taking its toll on you, leicsmac.

Edited by MooseBreath