Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Going to sound bad but the clipboard sign up people/donation askers in town, I'm all for charity in fact I donate to certain charities on regular basis but they way they won't stop bothering you even when you try and explain you already donate and have somewhere to be! I would love the world the be a place where poverty and cruelty didn't exist but I can't possibly give a donation to every charity they ask for!

What would you suggest he does?

At least ACT like a decent human being, these are real people, escaping horrific circumstances and they have now perished. This is a man who sees refugees as nothing more an irritant and cost to society.

Try to sound a bit more sympathetic and compassionate? 

or even actually BE more compassionate and caring.... this is a man who when discussing an australian soldiers death in Afghanistan said "ah, well... I guess shit happens"

I much prefer the full quote, instead of it being taken out of context, where he actually suggest something needs to be done, rather than just saying something along the lines of 'oh no, it's terrible, we should make a bridge so they can all come over for free'. Which isn't too far off one of the suggestions, which is to force the migrants upon wealthier countries such as the UK, USA and Australia. For me, the real solution should be to make their countries safer and better, so they don't want or need to leave. The fact that the coast guards on the African side, predominantly Libya is laughable and all paid off, probably doesn't aid the situation.

His quote is based on his cruel heartless treatment of the very few refugees who try to escape the horrors of war and torture by coming to australia, his theory of "stopping the boats" is very attractive to racist and ignorant australians, who's only concern is their money, but in truth, stopping the boats to prevent deaths at sea, is like saying if we stop the ambulances, we will lower the death rates in hospitals.

out of sight out of mind is not a policy.

At least ACT like a decent human being, these are real people, escaping horrific circumstances and they have now perished. This is a man who sees refugees as nothing more an irritant and cost to society.

or even actually BE more compassionate and caring.... this is a man who when discussing an australian soldiers death in Afghanistan said "ah, well... I guess shit happens"

His quote is based on his cruel heartless treatment of the very few refugees who try to escape the horrors of war and torture by coming to australia, his theory of "stopping the boats" is very attractive to racist and ignorant australians, who's only concern is their money, but in truth, stopping the boats to prevent deaths at sea, is like saying if we stop the ambulances, we will lower the death rates in hospitals.

out of sight out of mind is not a policy.

I understand what your saying and certainly agree. But it is a bit refreshing to see a politician be more truthful about how they feel, rather than the empty platitudes we usually get.

I understand what your saying and certainly agree. But it is a bit refreshing to see a politician be more truthful about how they feel, rather than the empty platitudes we usually get.

Is it though?  

He is appealing to the lowest common denominator and has a stupid plan that means that people die somewhere else. It doesnt save lives, it just hides the death.

Whats the good of honesty if it is stupidity, all it does is encourage the xenophobes and racists.

Is it though?

He is appealing to the lowest common denominator and has a stupid plan that means that people die somewhere else. It doesnt save lives, it just hides the death.

Whats the good of honesty if it is stupidity, all it does is encourage the xenophobes and racists.

It certainly is a stupid plan.

Honesty is good, it might encourage the xenophobes and racists, but surely it is also encouraging the moderates to ensure a more suitable person gets in power next time? Or its there so much apathy that he can just say whatever he wants? From what I've read, many Australians are quite embarrassed by his behavior.

It certainly is a stupid plan.

Honesty is good, it might encourage the xenophobes and racists, but surely it is also encouraging the moderates to ensure a more suitable person gets in power next time? Or its there so much apathy that he can just say whatever he wants? From what I've read, many Australians are quite embarrassed by his behavior.

A very interesting question.

Our current government was absolutely a result of voting the other lot out, rather than this lot in.

The refugee "crisis' has been a dog whistle for Australia for the last 10 years and both sides of politics have acted shamefully.

In case anyone doesnt know, our action on refugees is....tow boats back to Indonesian waters and dump them there, or buy boats and put the refugees on them and send them back, or if they do manage to get to Aust teritories, we simply lock the refugees in "detention centres" (read prisons) on tiny pacific islands where they are kept (many have been there for 4 years) until they can be convinced to go to cambodia or papua new guinea.

We have INNOCENT refugees, and  CHILDREN locked in prisons because of his attitudes and positions.

If you want to know more of our appalling stand, just google Manus island.. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/detention-centre-child-sex-abuse-claims-number-in-dozens-20140930-10o7pv.html

The PM is without doubt the most embarrassing leader this country has known. He was elected after  running the most negative campaign and since coming to power has been unable to come to terms with the fact that he actually has to do something rather than just blaming others. He is backward on climate change, refugeees, women, Aboriginal land rights (this man, who is still an english citizen is threatening to kick the indigenous off their land in the outback because its a lifestyle choice to live out there)

The labor party here is no better,they too have gone along with these torturous policies that have been decried by Amnesty and every human rights group in the world as abhorrent and illegal.

The problem is, our populace has been misled by our politicians and they continue to vote for the party that is the toughest on refugees.

People who use the word Hipster.

No you are just a cvnt.

I work with a hipster, i have just today been educated about "raw denim jeans" lol.

I may well be out of date and everyone knows about these... but, he tells me you never wash raw denim as it ruins it.... :o never washing jeans?

Edit.

He has just come into my office and offered me a coffee that has been made from beans that have been eaten, then excreted through a monkeys arse. I mean seriously people, how? why? what the fvck is wrong with you?

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

I work with a hipster, i have just today been educated about "raw denim jeans" lol.

I may well be out of date and everyone knows about these... but, he tells me you never wash raw denim as it ruins it.... :o never washing jeans?

Edit.

He has just come into my office and offered me a coffee that has been made from beans that have been eaten, then excreted through a monkeys arse. I mean seriously people, how? why? what the fvck is wrong with you?

This.

And also how they've appropriated 'geek fashion' for their own purposes.

Oi you twunts, we had it first. Just because 'The Big Bang Theory' apparently now makes it 'cool' to be geeky doesn't mean you now are one yourself. Fvck off. :thumbup:

Edited by leicsmac

A very interesting question.

Our current government was absolutely a result of voting the other lot out, rather than this lot in.

The refugee "crisis' has been a dog whistle for Australia for the last 10 years and both sides of politics have acted shamefully.

In case anyone doesnt know, our action on refugees is....tow boats back to Indonesian waters and dump them there, or buy boats and put the refugees on them and send them back, or if they do manage to get to Aust teritories, we simply lock the refugees in "detention centres" (read prisons) on tiny pacific islands where they are kept (many have been there for 4 years) until they can be convinced to go to cambodia or papua new guinea.

We have INNOCENT refugees, and CHILDREN locked in prisons because of his attitudes and positions.

If you want to know more of our appalling stand, just google Manus island.. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/detention-centre-child-sex-abuse-claims-number-in-dozens-20140930-10o7pv.html

The PM is without doubt the most embarrassing leader this country has known. He was elected after running the most negative campaign and since coming to power has been unable to come to terms with the fact that he actually has to do something rather than just blaming others. He is backward on climate change, refugeees, women, Aboriginal land rights (this man, who is still an english citizen is threatening to kick the indigenous off their land in the outback because its a lifestyle choice to live out there)

The labor party here is no better,they too have gone along with these torturous policies that have been decried by Amnesty and every human rights group in the world as abhorrent and illegal.

The problem is, our populace has been misled by our politicians and they continue to vote for the party that is the toughest on refugees.

You are right the way they are treating migrants isn't great. But I don't necessarily see an issue with camps for processing asylum claims, that is how it is done across Africa. As long as people are treated with respect and dignity.

The Aboriginal issue, you mentioned it a few days ago. Absolutely shocking.

However, I am not sure how many are actually refugees though. A refugee is an asylum seeker who has been processed and found to need to flee their home because of persecution of some sort. They usually flee quickly, out of fear, and to the nearest safe country. Having worked in South Sudan, Eastern DRC, Rwanda, Burundi, Liberia etc. I've seen asylum seekers flee on foot to the nearest countries, where they go into refugee camps to be processed (similar to Australia). The refugees comings and goings are tightly controlled. That is obviously mostly for mass migration of refugees. If you are an individual, or smaller group, being persecuted, the systems might not be in place, and it might be harder to get refugee status.

So all that to say, it seems to me the majority of people, claiming to be asylum seekers, who are taking the boats to the UK or Australia, are migrants looking for a better life. There are also systems to process those people. If you don't follow it, then you should be kicked out, same if your asylum claim is found not to be valid. Also, nothing wrong with sending a valid refugee to a third country as long as that country is willing to accept the refugee.

Now, Australia doesn't really have that many refugees compared to other countries. Not that you should just open your doors to get parity with other countries though. But they do need to make sure that they treat people in camps fairly and I don't agree with keeping people at sea slowly dehydrating and starving.

You are right the way they are treating migrants isn't great. But I don't necessarily see an issue with camps for processing asylum claims, that is how it is done across Africa. As long as people are treated with respect and dignity.

The Aboriginal issue, you mentioned it a few days ago. Absolutely shocking.

However, I am not sure how many are actually refugees though. A refugee is an asylum seeker who has been processed and found to need to flee their home because of persecution of some sort. They usually flee quickly, out of fear, and to the nearest safe country. Having worked in South Sudan, Eastern DRC, Rwanda, Burundi, Liberia etc. I've seen asylum seekers flee on foot to the nearest countries, where they go into refugee camps to be processed (similar to Australia). The refugees comings and goings are tightly controlled. That is obviously mostly for mass migration of refugees. If you are an individual, or smaller group, being persecuted, the systems might not be in place, and it might be harder to get refugee status.

So all that to say, it seems to me the majority of people, claiming to be asylum seekers, who are taking the boats to the UK or Australia, are migrants looking for a better life. There are also systems to process those people. If you don't follow it, then you should be kicked out, same if your asylum claim is found not to be valid. Also, nothing wrong with sending a valid refugee to a third country as long as that country is willing to accept the refugee.

Now, Australia doesn't really have that many refugees compared to other countries. Not that you should just open your doors to get parity with other countries though. But they do need to make sure that they treat people in camps fairly and I don't agree with keeping people at sea slowly dehydrating and starving.

I wont go on any longer about it after this comment as i can get a little carried away about this.

The problem is, we are NOT processing anyone, the goverment announced that if you arrived after July2014 you WILL NOT be processed, you will be sent to prison on manus etc.

Prior to July 2014, MORE than 90% of boat arrivals processed in Australia were found to be legitimate refugees and by international law we should be accepting them. (not to mention common decency). Of course if you are not a legitimate refugee then you dont have a right to assylum, but locking people and children in camps for years with no end in sight is quite simply mental abuse.

we had a recent independent review that has listed dozens of acts of sexual and physical abuse towrd children and our fearless leaders only response was to try and sack the Human rightc Commission boss and to tell Amnesty to "stop lecturing us"

example from the Moss report - "An incident in which a guard demanded to see a female detainee naked in return for allowing her an extra two minutes in the shower with her young child was confirmed."

An no we certainly dont have many refugees at all, and since this imbecile has been in power he has reduced that intake as well.

I have raw denim jeans. Washed them as they get disgusting otherwise.

Hipster :)

I wont go on any longer about it after this comment as i can get a little carried away about this.

The problem is, we are NOT processing anyone, the goverment announced that if you arrived after July2014 you WILL NOT be processed, you will be sent to prison on manus etc.

Prior to July 2014, MORE than 90% of boat arrivals processed in Australia were found to be legitimate refugees and by international law we should be accepting them. (not to mention common decency). Of course if you are not a legitimate refugee then you dont have a right to assylum, but locking people and children in camps for years with no end in sight is quite simply mental abuse.

we had a recent independent review that has listed dozens of acts of sexual and physical abuse towrd children and our fearless leaders only response was to try and sack the Human rightc Commission boss and to tell Amnesty to "stop lecturing us"

example from the Moss report - "An incident in which a guard demanded to see a female detainee naked in return for allowing her an extra two minutes in the shower with her young child was confirmed."

An no we certainly dont have many refugees at all, and since this imbecile has been in power he has reduced that intake as well.

Hipster :)

Definitely an emotive issue, but I am enjoying the discussion.

From what I have (briefly read) is that they are either being turned back or being processed offshore and resettled in a third country, which is perfectly legal and fine as they won't suffer from persecution there.Obviously, the mistreatment of asylum seekers is entirely wrong and the perpetrators should be locked up. And the turning back of potential refugees either sends them back to the country that they were being persecuted in or to a country that may be ill prepared to handle refugees/migrants. Which is wrong. But resettling in a third country, why not?

Definitely an emotive issue, but I am enjoying the discussion.

From what I have (briefly read) is that they are either being turned back or being processed offshore and resettled in a third country, which is perfectly legal and fine as they won't suffer from persecution there.Obviously, the mistreatment of asylum seekers is entirely wrong and the perpetrators should be locked up. And the turning back of potential refugees either sends them back to the country that they were being persecuted in or to a country that may be ill prepared to handle refugees/migrants. Which is wrong. But resettling in a third country, why not?

Im happy to continue the discussion, if anyone wants it to stop thats fine.

The resettle to third country would be ok, if the 3rd country could cope and was suitable, but all we are actually doing is taking advantage of a poor neighbour, by paying them to take our "problems". we have more than enough room and we actually need population growth and, if you arrive on a plane and apply for refugee status, you will be processed, but if you arrive on a boat....locked up, Towed away or sent to third world.

The countries we are suggesting they go to are countries for which our government offers travel warnings and yet they consider them safe for refugees. 

Add to this, the $ cost of offshore processing is much higher than if we did it on shore, thats all im suggesting, ...Refugee arrives, we process, if they are legitimate, we offer them assylum and a chance at a better life, if not legit, send them back.

Racism is at the heart of it, until the 70s, we had a white Australia policy, which was just what it says. Our current PM arrived in those days and is quite simply, racist, in case you didnt hear about it, He is the man who "Knighted" the Duke of Edinburgh 2 months ago lol 

The 'I don't care who this offends, I'm going to celebrate St George's Day' brigade. I'm proud to be English and yeah it would be great if St George's Day was a public holiday with celebrations etc, but it's not as though anybody is stopping them from celebrating it, providing it's within the law of course. I think the main reason that it annoys me is that it's generally the same bunch of people who share Daily Mail articles about how 'political correctness' is turning our once great and powerful nation into a laughing stock.

• Like 1