Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

A footballer entertains masses, a soldier kills people for money.

They do a lot more than kill people, in fact I could bet on the vast majority of soldiers never killing anybody.

10989133_10153133951313833_5687042981866

Just saw this picture has been shared 250,000 times on Facebook, makes my piss boil 

Out of interest why does it annoy you?

They do a lot more than kill people, in fact I could bet on the vast majority of soldiers never killing anybody.

Out of interest why does it annoy you?

Because it's absolutely moronic to suggest that soldiers should be paid footballers wages. 

It's not saying that though, it's saying soldiers don't get enough?

But why the comparison though? The way it comes across is that Footballers should be disgusted with themselves for earning their money. I don't think people grasp the supply and demand. 

I bet half the people that shared this picture wouldn't be prepared to increase their taxes to accommodate this increase in soldiers wages. 

• Like 1

But why the comparison though? The way it comes across is that Footballers should be disgusted with themselves for earning their money. I don't think people grasp the supply and demand.

I bet half the people that shared this picture wouldn't be prepared to increase their taxes to accommodate this increase in soldiers wages.

Exactly this. People love to take the moral high ground just so long as its not affecting them or their money

Why should they be paid more? It's entry level work. I assume it's career graded like all public sector work, you presumably get paid more as you ascend ranks.

You want your taxes to go up and/or public services to suffer so we can pay school leaver grunts more?

I know a couple of squaddies, they're sound guys, I don't have a prejudice against all armed forces members but I can't ****ing stand the obsession with putting them on a pedestal, either.

The hero worship of soldiers is just rank, imperialistic, flag waving shit perpetuated by the conservative mass media to keep everyone faithfully patriotic.

• Like 2

It's not saying that though, it's saying soldiers don't get enough?

Why are footballers and soldiers wages comparable? Why are my wages comparable to a soldiers? Or yours? Or Finners, or Enderbys? What a company chooses to pay an employee is their own choice and has no effect or baring on what a soldier receives. Why do they feel the need to bring what a footballer earns into the argument? 

If they want to say that soldiers should earn more, then fine, say it. If they want to compare soldiers wages to that of other people paid by the state like teachers, nurses, doctors, or MPs then crack on. But how much a company pays it's staff shouldn't be used to compare to what public sector workers earn. The irony in it being that Yaya Toure's tax contributions for a week probably pay a soldiers wage.

EDIT: And if the want to complain that a footballer earns too much, or that any of us do, or any bank bosses, that's fine too, but don't use other people wages as a comparison.

Edited by Facecloth

Indeed. They're the kind of people who seem think there is a finite amount of money in a country distributed to all the people living there (and immagrunts get loads).

I think it's because footballs have always had this image of flashy lifestyles for not doing much I guess haven't they. I agree with you, no one persons wages should be comparable with someone of a different profession full stop. 

I think they are just trying to say soldiers deserve a little more. I dont disagree. You could have said nurse or doctor etc but i think thats a moot point.

Celebrities or sports players what have you are grossly overpaid IMHO but thats the free market at work. But we pay for it in ticket prices and merchandise prices or television packages etc.

Here in Canada we have issues with soldiers not being taken care of properly after serving in war zones and dealing with PTSD etc. Im pretty sure that happens in most countries. I think what should really matter is not comparing pay per say but to ensure any injured soldier (mentally or physically) never has to worry about paying the bills or can get the help they need to lead a somewhat normal life. Sure the same could be said for firemen or policemen. Its a complex issue really.

My two younger brothers both serve in the same armories as the soldier who was gunned down in ottawa last year. It hits home for me a little bit which is probably why im more sympathetic to soldiers.

• Like 1

For the record, I think footballers and actors/entertainers wages are ****ing disgusting.

With regards to actors, it's only a small amount that get paid stupid money in comparison to how many actors/actresses there actually are.

The kind of footballers who are earning £250,000 are paid by owners who wouldn't even invest any money into this country if it wasn't for football. In 2011/12 the Premier Leauge contributed around 1 billion pound to the exchequer. Yes they are ridiculously overpaid, but unless somebody is planning on convincing a sugar daddy to buy shares in a privatised defence then it's a moot point.  

With regards to actors, it's only a small amount that get paid stupid money in comparison to how many actors/actresses there actually are.

It's the same with footballers, your average league one player is probably on a couple of grand a week, comfortable yes, but not enough to retire on.