Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Or is that you simply suspect that those who have questioned the troops feel less of a man because they haven't carried a gun or shot at an enemy?

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, I'm struggling to draw any other conclusion.

The rest of your post was decent, I know the army attracts some horrible cùnts, as do all jobs that have any sort of power or violence attached but I don't think there is any particular systematic nastiness.

• Like 3

I don't like the way the "right" (especially the far right) often uses the armed forces for political propaganda, usually in a covert manner. Overblown celebrations on November 11th or constant fundraising for certain charities while trying to claim anyone who doesn't worship the forces is unpatriotic (I'm not directing this at anyone on here or in particular).

Soldiers pay is better than it appears due to the amount of subsidy they receive for accommodation, food and transport and other perks. Certainly for a young person who isn't academic, it's a very good career to get. What we must do better is ensure our troops have the best levels of equipment available to them. More helicopters so troops are less exposed to ambushes. Having the latest and best protected vehicles. Not getting involved in unnecessary conflicts.

It shouldn't really be seen as "being paid to kill people". Killing is a by product of armed conflict and we shouldn't sugar coat it, but armed forces can prevent genocide in foreign countries and effective international organisations like the UN and NATO can prevent war from occurring in the first place.

At the end of the day I respect any decent human being regardless of their pay or what they do for a living so long as it is moral. Somebody who deliberately tries to con vulnerable people out of money I do not respect, regardless of the legality. A politician who is willing to attack a section of society for personal gain I do not respect.

• Like 1

I don't like the way the "right" (especially the far right) often uses the armed forces for political propaganda, usually in a covert manner. Overblown celebrations on November 11th or constant fundraising for certain charities while trying to claim anyone who doesn't worship the forces is unpatriotic (I'm not directing this at anyone on here or in particular).

Soldiers pay is better than it appears due to the amount of subsidy they receive for accommodation, food and transport and other perks. Certainly for a young person who isn't academic, it's a very good career to get. What we must do better is ensure our troops have the best levels of equipment available to them. More helicopters so troops are less exposed to ambushes. Having the latest and best protected vehicles. Not getting involved in unnecessary conflicts.

It shouldn't really be seen as "being paid to kill people". Killing is a by product of armed conflict and we shouldn't sugar coat it, but armed forces can prevent genocide in foreign countries and effective international organisations like the UN and NATO can prevent war from occurring in the first place.

At the end of the day I respect any decent human being regardless of their pay or what they do for a living so long as it is moral. Somebody who deliberately tries to con vulnerable people out of money I do not respect, regardless of the legality. A politician who is willing to attack a section of society for personal gain I do not respect.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the propaganda and I do acknowledge its existence to a degree but there are many heroic people in the army, some go without any direct acknowledgment and the least we can do is respect them on the whole. We shouldn't tarnish them because the media uses them for political points.
  • Like 1

Pretty sure we're all out of WW1 vets by now aren't we? They've got to be a dying (sorry) breed by now if there's any miraculously still around. Even WWII vets are getting few and far between.

I've the utmost respect for those who were conscripted or volunteered for major world wars in the genuine defence of the realm, sure.

But modern soldiers? **** off, they sign up to travel the world with guns, there's nothing admirable in that. Iraq wasn't a threat to us, Afghanistan wasn't a threat to us. If you want to travel the world giving humanitarian aid then volunteer with an aid organization. You know, the ones who give food and water to the poor kids who've been bombed out of their homes by, uh, western armed forces.

Don't get me wrong, I'd stop considerably short of calling all of our armed forces murderers (although, when you stop and think about it, I do have to look twice at anyone who's actually willing to shoot another person for money) and you'd obviously not find me booing soldiers' funerals or giving them grief. I'd just not be waving flags and singing rule Britannia for them either.

They're professionals, they have a job, they do it. I've got about ten thousand times more love for the emergency / health services than I do soldiers. 

Bit of a false claim don't you think? I don't agree with war at all, Iraq and Afghanistan were pointless conflicts over the protection of oil etc. 

You seem to portray every soldier as someone who just gets paid to kill. I don't know vast amounts about the armed forces but I'm pretty sure that's their last option, they have to have taken incoming fire from an opposing force before they can even consider killing anybody. 

But quite frankly if we didn't have as good armed forces as we do, we wouldn't live in such a comfortable country, with our cosy 9-5 jobs. 

I don't know vast amounts about the armed forces but I'm pretty sure that's their last option, they have to have taken incoming fire from an opposing force before they can even consider killing anybody. 

lol

• Like 1

Premier League records!!!!!

Football wasn't created by the Premier League so being a record maker during the life of the Premier League doesn't make you an English League footballing record breaker.

I don't care that "A N Other" has achieved something during the life of the PL when it doesn't beat a previous best during the whole league history.

For eaxmple;

Leonardo Ulloa’s 11 2014/15 league goals saw him become only the sixth Leicester City player to score over 10 Barclays Premier League goals in a single season.
Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/ulloa-enters-lcfcs-history-books-2483412.aspx#kxOU06mtf3RvA30A.99

• Like 2

You have to respect soldiers, yeah killing is never good but the situations they are put in, they are brave.

It's the ones at the top you can hate, the ones that send them into wars which ultimately causes devastation

I agree with this. It is the ones at the top that make the decision. I sometimes think we should put all the leaders in  a field and let them fight it out.

On a QI programme last night they mentioned the Devils Dwarfs. These were an unit used in the first war. As Stephen Fry said  they were too small for the regular army and Lord  Derby said it is not right they are ay home safe and sound so why should they not go and be killed  like everyone else. So they formed a special battalion just for short people. Billy Butlin was one of them.

Guest MattP

Pretty sure we're all out of WW1 vets by now aren't we? They've got to be a dying (sorry) breed by now if there's any miraculously still around. Even WWII vets are getting few and far between.

I've the utmost respect for those who were conscripted or volunteered for major world wars in the genuine defence of the realm, sure.

But modern soldiers? **** off, they sign up to travel the world with guns, there's nothing admirable in that. Iraq wasn't a threat to us, Afghanistan wasn't a threat to us. If you want to travel the world giving humanitarian aid then volunteer with an aid organization. You know, the ones who give food and water to the poor kids who've been bombed out of their homes by, uh, western armed forces.

Don't get me wrong, I'd stop considerably short of calling all of our armed forces murderers (although, when you stop and think about it, I do have to look twice at anyone who's actually willing to shoot another person for money) and you'd obviously not find me booing soldiers' funerals or giving them grief. I'd just not be waving flags and singing rule Britannia for them either.

They're professionals, they have a job, they do it. I've got about ten thousand times more love for the emergency / health services than I do soldiers. 

This is a pretty scandalous comment.

I only know a couple of soldiers but I can promise you they aren't just nutters who want to travel the World killing people, people join the army for various reasons, some do it out of a sense of duty, some do it because it's a good career move, some do it to genuinely help people, some do it because they come from military families, they are masses of reasons why people do it.

Aid organisations do a great job but a lot of the people that desperately need help are inside the war zones where they often can't reach. Never judge the actions of the many on the actions of a few.

As Parafox said, do you really believe most of the people signed up to the army knew we were going into Afghanistan or Iraq? I'm sure a many of the forces didn't want to go to these places, I'd imagine it's not much fun actually being shot at and having to deal with your friends dying or leaving your wife and children for months on end, army personel have to do what they are told, if they didn't any armed forces would collapse anyway.

Edited by MattP

Football wasn't created by the Premier League so being a record maker during the life of the Premier League doesn't make you an English League footballing record breaker.

I don't care that "A N Other" has achieved something during the life of the PL when it doesn't beat a previous best during the whole league history.

For eaxmple;

For me it's cricket records. Any given day you can put SSN on and they'll say something like "Coming up records have been tumbling at Headingly." At which point you think maybe someone has scored more runs than ever before of taken more wickets for the fewest runs. But it's always something like the 4th biggest 3rd wicket partnership on a 2nd day at Headingly in August where the batsmen both had more than 15 letters in their names, at least one bowler was called Gary and the ball was manufactured on a rainy Tuesday with a crowd of more than 2000 people watching......etc etc etc.

Anything other than the biggest of something isn't a record for starters, so no records were broken. Also the most annoying thing is there always seems to be God knows how many different qualifiers that make it a record. If it the most runs by a person or partnership of all time then that's news, but if you start adding the ground, the innings, the day, the month, etc then it's just getting silly.

For eaxmple;

But it does mean Forest and Derby have never won the League, in fact as football clubs they haven't achieved anything in their history. ;)