Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Translate this page

Basically put, students are moaning that an A-level exam had something that a textbook said wouldn't come up and as a result they're going to lose their university places - despite this, it's an easy question to work out given it relies on just your ability to read, know basic (GCSE) chemistry and count to 6. If they're not smart enough to answer that then they've not been paying attention for 4 years so don't deserve their uni place anyway, not to mention you've got to be a drooling simpleton to trust a textbook as to what questions are going to be on the exam rather than just what's potentially going to be on it.

Woman that shove on a shitload of makeup then photoshop the shit out of their picture on dating sites? Its a bad as some guy lying about how much money he makes.

Don't they realise that you will meet them in the flesh? are they going to keep the act on forever never let you see them without makeup on?

Osbourne = collossal bellend

Osborne plan has no basis in economics

The chancellor’s plans, announced in his Mansion House speech, for “permanent budget surpluses” are nothing more than an attempt to outmanoeuvre his opponents (Report, 10 June). They have no basis in economics. Osborne’s proposals are not fit for the complexity of a modern 21st-century economy and, as such, they risk a liquidity crisis that could also trigger banking problems, a fall in GDP, a crash, or all three.

Economies rely on the principle of sectoral balancing, which states that sectors of the economy borrow and lend from and to each other, and their surpluses and debts must arithmetically balance out in monetary terms, because every debit has a corresponding credit. In other words, if one sector of the economy lends to another, it must be in debt by the same amount as the borrower is in credit. The economy is always in balance as a result, if just not at the right place. The government’s budget position is not independent of the rest of the economy, and if it chooses to try to inflexibly run surpluses, and therefore no longer borrow, the knock-on effect to the rest of the economy will be significant. Households, consumers and businesses may have to borrow more overall, and the risk of a personal-debt crisis to rival 2008 could be very real indeed.

These plans tie the government’s hands, meaning it won’t be able to respond appropriately to constantly evolving economic circumstances, good or bad. The plan actually takes away one of the central purposes of modern government: to deliver a stable economy in which all can prosper. It is irresponsible for the chancellor to take such risky experiments with the economy to score political points. This policy requires an urgent rethink.
Dr Ha-Joon Chang, University of Cambridge
Thomas Piketty, Paris School of Economics
David Blanchflower, Bruce V. Rauner Professor of Economics at Dartmouth College and ex-Monetary Policy Committee
Prof Mariana Mazzucato, RM Phillips Professor in the Economics of Innovation, University of Sussex
Jared Bernstein, Former chief economist and economic adviser to vice-president Joe Biden
Prof Simon Wren-Lewis, University of Oxford 
Prof Victoria Chick, University College London
Prof Ozlem Onaran, Department of International Business and Economics, University of Greenwich
Prof Engelbert Stockhammer, Professor of Economics, University of Kingston
Howard Reed, Director, Landman Economics
Richard Murphy, Tax Research UK
Stewart Lansley, Visiting fellow, Bristol University Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research
Prof Andrew Cumbers, Professor of Political Economy, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow
Prof Malcolm Sawyer, Emeritus Professor of Economics, Leeds University Business School 
Prof George Irvin, Professorial Research Fellow, SOAS, University of London
Prof John Weeks, Emeritus Professor, SOAS, University of London
Prof Prem Sikka, Professor of Accounting, University of Essex
Prof Christine Cooper, Accounting and Finance, Strathclyde Business School
Prof Diane Elson, Emeritus Professor, University of Essex and Chair of UK Women’s Budget Group
Professor Jonathan Michie, University of Oxford
Prof Robert McMaster, Professor of Political Economy, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow
Dr Jo Michell, Senior Lecturer in Economics, University of the West of England, Bristol
Prof Sheila Dow, Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of Stirling
Prof John Grahl, Professor of European Integration, University of Middlesex
Prof Jan Toporowski, Professor of Economics, SOAS, University of London
Prof Philip Arestis, University of Cambridge 
Prof Giuseppe Fontana, Professor of Monetary Economics, Leeds University Business School
Prof David Spencer, Professor of Economics and Political Economy, Leeds University Business School
Prof Alfredo Saad Filho, Professor of Political Economy, SOAS, University of London
Prof Mary Mellor, Professor Emeritus, Northumbria University
Dr Craig Berry, Deputy Director, Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute (speri)
Prof David Newbery, Emeritus professor of Economics, Cambridge University
Prof Hugh Willmott, CASS Business School
Prof Steve Keen, Professor of Economics, Kingston University
Dr Henning Meyer, Research Associate of the Public Policy Group, London School of Economics
Prof John Van Reenen, Professor of Economics, London School of Economics
Prof Ismail Ertürk, Senior Lecturer in Banking, University of Manchester
Prof Susan Himmelweit, Emeritus Professor of Economics, Open University
Prof Valpy FitzGerald, Emeritus Professor of International Development Finance, University of Oxford 
Prof Simon Mohun, Emeritus Professor of Political Economy, Queen Mary, University of London
Stewart Wallis, Executive Director, New Economics Foundation
Prof Klaus Nielsen, Professor of Institutional Economics, Birkbeck, University of London
Prof Pritam Singh, Professor of Economics, Oxford Brookes University
Dr Andrew Mearman, Associate Professor in Economics, UWE Bristol
Prof Matthew Watson, Professor of Political Economy, University of Warwick
Prof Grazia Ietto-Gillies, Emeritus Professor of Applied Economics, London South Bank University
Dr Mary V. Wrenn, Joan Robinson Research Fellow in Heterodox Economics, Girton College, University of Cambridge
Geoffrey Hodgson, Research Professor, University of Hertfordshire 
Dr Daniela Gabor, Associate Professor, UWE Bristol
Prof Bruce Cronin, Director of the Centre for Business Network Analysis, University of Greenwich
Dr Annina Kaltenbrunner, Lecturer in the Economics of Globalisation & The International Economy, Leeds University Business School
Prof Gary Dymski, Professor of Applied Economics, Leeds University Business School 
Michael Burke, Economist
Dr Russell Smith, Senior Lecturer in Economics, Cardiff School of Management
Prof Philip B. Whyman, Professor of Economics at the University of Central Lancashire
Prof Tony Thirlwall, Professor of Applied Economics, University of Kent 
Michael Kitson, Cambridge Judge Business School University of Cambridge
Dr Abigail McKnight, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, London School of Economics 
Dr Ken Coutts, Assistant Director of Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 
Prof Robert H. Wade, London School of Economics
Dr Kalim Siddiqui, Department of Strategy, Marketing and Economics, University of Huddersfield
Prof Stuart Holland, University of Coimbra 
Dr Alberto Paloni, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow
Ewa Karwowski, Lecturer in Economics, Kingston University
Professor Marcus Miller, University of Warwick
Dr Gary Slater, Leeds University Business School
Professor David Bailey, Aston Business School
Dr David Harvie, Senior Lecturer in Finance and Political Economy, University of Leicester
Barbara Harriss-White, Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Fellow, Area Studies, Oxford University
Dr Bruce Philp, Head of Department, Strategy, Marketing and Economics, Birmingham City Business School
Roberto Veneziani, School of Economics and Finance, Queen Mary University of London
Dr Julian Wells, Principal Lecturer in Economics, Kingston University London
Dr Neil Lancastle, Department of Accounting and Finance, De Montfort University
Mimoza Shabani, Lecturer in Financial Economics, University of East London
Dr Ashley L. Carreras, Principal Lecturer in Economics and Decision Analysis Faculty of Business and Law, De Montfort University 
Prof Michael Lipton, Research Professor of Economics, Sussex University
Dr Graham Gudgin, Research Associate, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge and Senior Economic Advisor, Oxford Economics
Prof Geraint Johnes, Professor of Economics, Lancaster University Management School
Andrew Simms, Fellow of New Economics Foundation

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 1

Are these the same experts who told us 5 years ago that we were heading to a triple dip recession and mass unemployment?

Who cares? Whatever Osbourne does or doesn't achieve, it won't be recognised as because of him. It will be because of oil prices or global circumstances or some other clap trap. Economists are the biggest fauds since the weatherman IMO.
  • Like 1

Are these the same experts who told us 5 years ago that we were heading to a triple dip recession and mass unemployment?

Are you asking if I've looked at all their backgrounds, read all their papers, and seen every piece of literature or media they've done over the last 5 years? No, but I suspect they're all Labour supporting unionists. (do Economists have a union? )Either that or they'll be from up north or something.

I suppose I should wait and hear what the counter argument is going to be before I make my mind up, but that's the problem I occasionally see a story, and unfortunately it's in the Guardian, and I believe what it says at times. Thing is, is I'm easily led, despite my protestations, my working class biased clouds what's in front of me, and I'm always going to think what's best everyone rather than what's in it for me most of all. 

<insert your class, medium of propaganda, and preference>

Yawn-726829.png

MiftnyD.gif

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 1

Are you asking if I've looked at all their backgrounds, read all their papers, and seen every piece of literature or media they've done over the last 5 years? No, but I suspect they're all Labour supporting unionists. (do Economists have a union? )Either that or they'll be from up north or something.

I suppose I should wait and hear what the counter argument is going to be before I make my mind up, but that's the problem I occasionally see a story, and unfortunately it's in the Guardian, and I believe what it says at times. Thing is, is I'm easily led, despite my protestations, my working class biased clouds what's in front of me, and I'm always going to think what's best everyone rather than what's in it for me most of all. 

<insert your class, medium of propaganda, and preference>

Yawn-726829.png

MiftnyD.gif

Yeah. Satire's not your bag is it?

Supermarkets that boast about cheaper products - and then customers finding out by trial-and-error that albeit having paid less for the same product than before, the supermarket actually having saved money itself by coming up with a much cheaper fabric for the packaging or the use of less material in general, thus keeping production costs down.

See yoghurt lids or paper towel, for instance. Well, lids in general.

Edited by MC Prussian

Supermarkets that boast about cheaper products - and then customers finding out by trial-and-error that albeit having paid less for the same product than before, the supermarket actually having saved money itself by coming up with a much cheaper fabric for the packaging or the use of less material in general, thus keeping production costs down.

You don't collect yoghurt lids do you? What's it matter?

sounds like they're passing the savings onto the customer?

You don't collect yoghurt lids do you? What's it matter?

Because producing cheaper packaging more than often results in products that are easier to tamper with or that break apart more easily.

It's also quite the chore (or let's say, a disappointment) opening pre-made salads, yoghurts and the likes these days. Half of the thin transparent plastic just stays where it is. :D

What's the matter, Webbo? Not allowed to vent my anger in this thread any longer? :)

Products sold cheaper might be produced more cheaply shocker!!!! Somebody call panorama!!!!

You don't expect Kia to be the same as Jaguar, so why expect Aldi products to be made to the same standard as Waitrose's?

If you're not happy with the products in question, you could always return them (under Sale of Goods Act to return), if you've got a receipt etc and exchange to an alternative product?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Products sold cheaper might be produced more cheaply shocker!!!! Somebody call panorama!!!!

You don't expect Kia to be the same as Jaguar, so why expect Aldi products to be made to the same standard as Waitrose's?

Not really, I'm talking about standard dairy products for instance that up until a particular point in time got sold in a rather well-equipped and well-established supermarket chain, then being produced cheaper. All of that whilst trying to convey to the consumer that he's saving money, when in fact it's a zero sum game.

I do know what to expect when shopping at Aldi or Lidl for that matter. :)

If you're not happy with the products in question, you could always return them (under Sale of Goods Act to return), if you've got a receipt etc and exchange to an alternative product?

Yes, I do know that. Not quite the same case with food items, though. :D