Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Osbourne = collossal bellend

Osborne plan has no basis in economics

The chancellor’s plans, announced in his Mansion House speech, for “permanent budget surpluses” are nothing more than an attempt to outmanoeuvre his opponents (Report, 10 June). They have no basis in economics. Osborne’s proposals are not fit for the complexity of a modern 21st-century economy and, as such, they risk a liquidity crisis that could also trigger banking problems, a fall in GDP, a crash, or all three.

Economies rely on the principle of sectoral balancing, which states that sectors of the economy borrow and lend from and to each other, and their surpluses and debts must arithmetically balance out in monetary terms, because every debit has a corresponding credit. In other words, if one sector of the economy lends to another, it must be in debt by the same amount as the borrower is in credit. The economy is always in balance as a result, if just not at the right place. The government’s budget position is not independent of the rest of the economy, and if it chooses to try to inflexibly run surpluses, and therefore no longer borrow, the knock-on effect to the rest of the economy will be significant. Households, consumers and businesses may have to borrow more overall, and the risk of a personal-debt crisis to rival 2008 could be very real indeed.

These plans tie the government’s hands, meaning it won’t be able to respond appropriately to constantly evolving economic circumstances, good or bad. The plan actually takes away one of the central purposes of modern government: to deliver a stable economy in which all can prosper. It is irresponsible for the chancellor to take such risky experiments with the economy to score political points. This policy requires an urgent rethink.

Dr Ha-Joon Chang, University of Cambridge

Thomas Piketty, Paris School of Economics

David Blanchflower, Bruce V. Rauner Professor of Economics at Dartmouth College and ex-Monetary Policy Committee

Prof Mariana Mazzucato, RM Phillips Professor in the Economics of Innovation, University of Sussex

Jared Bernstein, Former chief economist and economic adviser to vice-president Joe Biden

Prof Simon Wren-Lewis, University of Oxford

Prof Victoria Chick, University College London

Prof Ozlem Onaran, Department of International Business and Economics, University of Greenwich

Prof Engelbert Stockhammer, Professor of Economics, University of Kingston

Howard Reed, Director, Landman Economics

Richard Murphy, Tax Research UK

Stewart Lansley, Visiting fellow, Bristol University Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research

Prof Andrew Cumbers, Professor of Political Economy, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow

Prof Malcolm Sawyer, Emeritus Professor of Economics, Leeds University Business School

Prof George Irvin, Professorial Research Fellow, SOAS, University of London

Prof John Weeks, Emeritus Professor, SOAS, University of London

Prof Prem Sikka, Professor of Accounting, University of Essex

Prof Christine Cooper, Accounting and Finance, Strathclyde Business School

Prof Diane Elson, Emeritus Professor, University of Essex and Chair of UK Women’s Budget Group

Professor Jonathan Michie, University of Oxford

Prof Robert McMaster, Professor of Political Economy, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow

Dr Jo Michell, Senior Lecturer in Economics, University of the West of England, Bristol

Prof Sheila Dow, Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of Stirling

Prof John Grahl, Professor of European Integration, University of Middlesex

Prof Jan Toporowski, Professor of Economics, SOAS, University of London

Prof Philip Arestis, University of Cambridge

Prof Giuseppe Fontana, Professor of Monetary Economics, Leeds University Business School

Prof David Spencer, Professor of Economics and Political Economy, Leeds University Business School

Prof Alfredo Saad Filho, Professor of Political Economy, SOAS, University of London

Prof Mary Mellor, Professor Emeritus, Northumbria University

Dr Craig Berry, Deputy Director, Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute (speri)

Prof David Newbery, Emeritus professor of Economics, Cambridge University

Prof Hugh Willmott, CASS Business School

Prof Steve Keen, Professor of Economics, Kingston University

Dr Henning Meyer, Research Associate of the Public Policy Group, London School of Economics

Prof John Van Reenen, Professor of Economics, London School of Economics

Prof Ismail Ertürk, Senior Lecturer in Banking, University of Manchester

Prof Susan Himmelweit, Emeritus Professor of Economics, Open University

Prof Valpy FitzGerald, Emeritus Professor of International Development Finance, University of Oxford

Prof Simon Mohun, Emeritus Professor of Political Economy, Queen Mary, University of London

Stewart Wallis, Executive Director, New Economics Foundation

Prof Klaus Nielsen, Professor of Institutional Economics, Birkbeck, University of London

Prof Pritam Singh, Professor of Economics, Oxford Brookes University

Dr Andrew Mearman, Associate Professor in Economics, UWE Bristol

Prof Matthew Watson, Professor of Political Economy, University of Warwick

Prof Grazia Ietto-Gillies, Emeritus Professor of Applied Economics, London South Bank University

Dr Mary V. Wrenn, Joan Robinson Research Fellow in Heterodox Economics, Girton College, University of Cambridge

Geoffrey Hodgson, Research Professor, University of Hertfordshire

Dr Daniela Gabor, Associate Professor, UWE Bristol

Prof Bruce Cronin, Director of the Centre for Business Network Analysis, University of Greenwich

Dr Annina Kaltenbrunner, Lecturer in the Economics of Globalisation & The International Economy, Leeds University Business School

Prof Gary Dymski, Professor of Applied Economics, Leeds University Business School

Michael Burke, Economist

Dr Russell Smith, Senior Lecturer in Economics, Cardiff School of Management

Prof Philip B. Whyman, Professor of Economics at the University of Central Lancashire

Prof Tony Thirlwall, Professor of Applied Economics, University of Kent

Michael Kitson, Cambridge Judge Business School University of Cambridge

Dr Abigail McKnight, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, London School of Economics

Dr Ken Coutts, Assistant Director of Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge

Prof Robert H. Wade, London School of Economics

Dr Kalim Siddiqui, Department of Strategy, Marketing and Economics, University of Huddersfield

Prof Stuart Holland, University of Coimbra

Dr Alberto Paloni, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow

Ewa Karwowski, Lecturer in Economics, Kingston University

Professor Marcus Miller, University of Warwick

Dr Gary Slater, Leeds University Business School

Professor David Bailey, Aston Business School

Dr David Harvie, Senior Lecturer in Finance and Political Economy, University of Leicester

Barbara Harriss-White, Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Fellow, Area Studies, Oxford University

Dr Bruce Philp, Head of Department, Strategy, Marketing and Economics, Birmingham City Business School

Roberto Veneziani, School of Economics and Finance, Queen Mary University of London

Dr Julian Wells, Principal Lecturer in Economics, Kingston University London

Dr Neil Lancastle, Department of Accounting and Finance, De Montfort University

Mimoza Shabani, Lecturer in Financial Economics, University of East London

Dr Ashley L. Carreras, Principal Lecturer in Economics and Decision Analysis Faculty of Business and Law, De Montfort University

Prof Michael Lipton, Research Professor of Economics, Sussex University

Dr Graham Gudgin, Research Associate, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge and Senior Economic Advisor, Oxford Economics

Prof Geraint Johnes, Professor of Economics, Lancaster University Management School

Andrew Simms, Fellow of New Economics Foundation

David Blanchflower lol

If he predicts something, bet your house on the opposite.

I like sprouts too. Saw that TV chef Guy Fieri making a fried Brussels, bacon and pinenut dish once, looked fantastic

I usually toast them in a frying pan, and add bacon pieces. My wife had never had Brussels before and loved them, I then boiled some... Didn't go down quite as well... So now I stick to frying!

Anjem Choudary is one of the biggest wastes of oxygen on this planet. Someone take a machine gun to him. Please.

Interesting that he failed his first year at medical school because of "too much partying". :beer:

I usually toast them in a frying pan, and add bacon pieces. My wife had never had Brussels before and loved them, I then boiled some... Didn't go down quite as well... So now I stick to frying!

I've only ever had them boiled before, will have to try frying them. Mind you nearly everything's nicer fried. Perhaps we should continue this conversation in "What floats my boat"

It's a ****en pound for a can of coke in the canteen of this office. A ****en pound. I ain't wanna work here no mo

that's out ofmy price range bu fortutely I got;

a nice bottle of panda pops for twenty eight pence from my local sHOp

• Like 1

Been fined £50 for getting one the tram for one stop without paying all conductors are ****ing bad grasses.

But you did know that you were using a paid service when you got on right?  That's not really a gear grind unless you're having a go at yourself for feeling entitled to free transport while everyone else pays.

But you did know that you were using a paid service when you got on right? That's not really a gear grind unless you're having a go at yourself for feeling entitled to free transport while everyone else pays.

Yeah i'm defo gonna pay £2.50 to travel one stop on some piss smelling tram. Paid child fare which is under a pound as well lol

It is pretty far when you have to walk up a massive hill when you have an exam in five minutes.

Probably gonna sound like a right **** here, but here's a thought. How about you get yourself organised and get to the venue of you exam a little earlier than being so far away that you have to steal a lift on public transport to make it on time. There's some shit I'll be late for, I'll even rock into work 5 minutes late sometimes, but exams, funerals that kind of stuff, surely it's not too hard to be making sure you're there with plenty of time to spare?

• Like 1

Probably gonna sound like a right **** here, but here's a thought. How about you get yourself organised and get to the venue of you exam a little earlier than being so far away that you have to steal a lift on public transport to make it on time. There's some shit I'll be late for, I'll even rock into work 5 minutes late sometimes, but exams, funerals that kind of stuff, surely it's not too hard to be making sure you're there with plenty of time to spare?

Stole a lift lol