Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

A 'new change of career' - at 59; good luck with that.

Tell me about it. I did try though so boxes could be ticked. I was 59 too. My CV was worse but with a bit of tweeking and emphasi

sing  my good points and also doing a couple of courses it looked better and would be fantastic for a 30 year old in good health and their own transport. I just had to hope none of the other 50 plus applicants were better qualified for the job then it was mine.

Unfortunately for a few of my applications I will never know as I had no reply so never found out what areas I needed to improve.

Guest MattP

I was thinking the same Matt about the job. But can you understand how these tests are unfair on people like him. For all we know he may have supported them before his accident and even voted Tory. He does not have any sympathy for ones that do try it on. He went there and was honest, he said he could have gone with a stick or exagerated but he 'complied' with the test.

My gripe is they do not have medical experts at hand. The number of successful appeals shows this. It just needs reviewing and adjusting a little. Nothing wrong in admitting mistakes. Atos and the ones that took over are profit making companies.

I agree that help should be given  to help people back to work but there also has to be schemes that also help. Funding has been stopped for  disabled projects that do this. Facilities have to be in place.

I have no idea if the test is unfair or not, there is obviously a difference between being "fit to work" and "being fit to do the job you did last" - he seems to be getting confused thinking they are telling him he can still carry coffins.

I feel sorry for the guy but if he is fit to work then he is fit to work, we can't just throw free money at every single person who gets a condition or an injury that stops them doing the job they once did, he's got a bad hand and can't lift so, I've only walked down to the Co-op today and I've seen a job advertised for a position in a cafe, bar staff wanted at a pub and a cleaner wanted in the co-op, what would be wrong with him applying for any of these? 

Carrying coffins isn't the only thing he can do, certainly not if he's previously served in the army.

You have taken everything he has said at face value because of a letter, for a man who says he doesn't believe anything the mainstream media print it's an interesting viewpoint. ever think he might be exaggerating?

(BTW Labour were the ones who gave the contract to ATOS in 2005, so I don't know what Tory has to do with it)

Edited by MattP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33240475

Might annoy some on here being angry about this, but this really grinds the gears.

I agree. Looked like mayhem on the news yesterday but I bet it's like that regular. France don't want nothing to do with it because they're trying to get out of the Country not into it. Of course, our Country will no doubt welcome them with open arms. It's a disgrace.

I agree. Looked like mayhem on the news yesterday but I bet it's like that regular. France don't want nothing to do with it because they're trying to get out of the Country not into it. Of course, our Country will no doubt welcome them with open arms. It's a disgrace.

Well hundreds of the poor cvnts are struggling to get out of Calais, hence the camps, so we're not exactly "welcoming them with open arms" are we?

Hardly a "disgrace" to offer refuge our fair share of desperate asylum seekers fleeing from possibly the most evil organisation ever to have graced the planet either.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

Well hundreds of the poor cvnts are struggling to get out of Calais, hence the camps, so we're not exactly "welcoming them with open arms" are we?

Hardly a "disgrace" to offer refuge our fair share of desperate asylum seekers fleeing from possibly the most evil organisation ever to have graced the planet either.

I meant it was a disgrace how they were accessing the lorries. Did you see them just opening the lorries and jumping in. One of them put a cone in the road, straight in front of the lorry driver and another set threw stones at the cab window.

I meant it was a disgrace how they were accessing the lorries. Did you see them just opening the lorries and jumping in. One of them put a cone in the road, straight in front of the lorry driver and another set threw stones at the cab window.

OK fair enough. Misunderstood your post.

Sounds like a job for The Farminator to sort out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3133338/Farmer-wages-one-man-battle-against-surge-hundreds-illegal-immigrants-finds-running-land-bid-UK-rounding-dropping-police.html

They're not fleeing ISIS in France though.

I feel desperately sorry for these people, it's unthinkable they'd try and stay in the Middle East with ISIS on the move and we need to find a humane solution to the issue, but there are lots of safe countries between Iraq for example and Northern France.

Guest MattP

Last time I checked France wasn't controlled by ISIS.

These people are also not asylum seekers, they are migrants, the vast majority who have also been never near an area controlled by ISIS, about 80% of them are from the East African nations around the Somalia, Eritrea, Ethopia etc area - If the people were from Iraq or Syria and fleeing ISIS then when they get to Europe they will be given asylum currently and be designated to a country.

We also have to ask serious questions about why these people are so desperate to get from France to Britain, doesn't seem to be many trying to get the other way. The Mayor has already blamed our benefits system for these problems on numerous occasions.

Edited by MattP

Agree Matt. Our benefit system is probably a big influence. A lot of them speak about wanting to get jobs but I'm guessing life in general is better here than in other European Countries.

Last time I checked France wasn't controlled by ISIS.

These people are also not asylum seekers, they are migrants, the vast majority who have also been never near an area controlled by ISIS, about 80% of them are from the East African nations around the Somalia, Eritrea, Ethopia etc area - If the people were from Iraq or Syria and fleeing ISIS then when they get to Europe they will be given asylum currently and be designated to a country.

We also have to ask serious questions about why these people are so desperate to get from France to Britain, doesn't seem to be many trying to get the other way. The Mayor has already blamed our benefits system for these problems on numerous occasions.

Yep he and many others don't seem to understand our benefits system, I'm sure the myth that they can walk in claim a load of benefits and walk into a council house is perpectuated by the misinformed.

Guest MattP

How are illegal immigrants going to claim benefits? lol

You claim asylum, even if you will be turned down after months you will still be given immediate 'asylum support' which consists of a regular payment and you will be given accommodation, it's not just benefits though, the NHS is a big thing, that has to treat everyone so if you are coming from Africa with HIV getting here would be a priority.

It's all explained here.

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/uk-immigrants-state-benefits.html

Guest MattP

Yep he and many others don't seem to understand our benefits system, I'm sure the myth that they can walk in claim a load of benefits and walk into a council house is perpectuated by the misinformed.

Yawn, this has been done a million times now, no one is claiming they walk in and claim a load of money and a house etc but it's certainly fact they will be supported by the state here in a far different way than France. You are in the wrong Ronnie, not our government, the EU, the French government, the mayor of Calais etc, they aren't all wrong.

You don't really think the reason they risk death to get from France to Britain is for the more punitive benefit system do you?

What I have come to learn is this.

Immigrants are the least powerful people in society, especially homeless immigrants, immigrants who claim JSA, they have no power.

Also, British people on benefits are the same.

Who are the types of people on benefits, are they really a menace or a problem. Or have they had a certain type of background / lack of privileges to get them in that position.

targetting immigrants and JSA claimers is wrong. The problem is much much higher up.

• Like 1

Yawn, this has been done a million times now, no one is claiming they walk in and claim a load of money and a house etc but it's certainly fact they will be supported by the state here in a far different way than France. You are in the wrong Ronnie, not our government, the EU, the French government, the mayor of Calais etc, they aren't all wrong.

You don't really think the reason they risk death to get from France to Britain is for the more punitive benefit system do you?

I'm glad they are supported more than they are in France, France are more than happy to perpectuate the myth so they can wipe their hands with many more immigrants then we have.  How am I in the wrong?  A lot of the immigrants are misinformed that's clear from listening to them.   If you think they just want to come over here and have a miserable existance on the odd benefit they might (if they are very lucky) receive then you are wrong.

It's amazing the British obsession with benefits. In France and Holland the immigration debate is much more about culture and the immigrants' religion vs secular values.

In the UK, since we're still concerned about class and money, 'grafters' and 'scroungers', it always seems to be about poor immigrants coming to take your benefits. I reckon if ISIS rocked up tomorrow and started raping and pillaging their way through Kent, the Mail would lead with 'Collapse of Western Civilization Imminent - And YOU'RE Paying For It'.

We like to blame foreigners, we love having someone to blame, it's always someone elses fault,  it will never change and it's a great vote winner.  It is amusing that we are supposed to have this easy benefit system for immigrants yet other so called stricter EU countries actually have higher rates of immigration both legal and illegal.

I'll leave it at that because we'll just go round and round in circles.

Edited by purpleronnie

We like to blame foreigners, we love having someone to blame, it's always someone elses fault,  it will never change and it's a great vote winner.

I'll leave it at that because we'll just go round and round in circles.

People everywhere like to blame others. That's why the EU is doomed to failure. Greeks prefer to blame Germans than rooting out corruption and tax evasion in their country.

UK has always been full of divide and rule shit - "it ain't me guv, it's another group of marginalised individuals whats to blame".

• Like 2