Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

It's unreal that one of Melzer, Janowicz, Mannarino or Kubot/Paire will make it to the semi finals, just shows how extraordinary this tournament has been. If Murray doesn't make it to the final then he doesn't deserve to ever win a Wimbledon because this could be his easiest opportunity. My shout is for a Serb to knock Murray out (and not Djokovic btw lol ). Hoping big Vik can make it through against Youzhny and then give Murray a good battle but whether it be Youzhny or Troicki, it should in theory be a walkover with an extra days rest behind him!

Melzer has been to the Semi Finals of a Grand Slam before. If it is to be Janowicz or Paire though, then it wouldn't be that unreal, those two are part of a crop of youngish players who could really do well in the next couple of years. Both have potential to go far in Grand Slams. 

Youzhny is on form grass wise, getting to the final in Halle, and now doing well so far at Wimbledon. Troicki I doubt will pose any threat, neither will Youzhny probably.

Best we can hope for is a Janowicz v Murray Semi. Just looking at Djokovic's half he could play Haas and Berdych before the Semis, pretty tough. 

Melzer has been to the Semi Finals of a Grand Slam before. If it is to be Janowicz or Paire though, then it wouldn't be that unreal, those two are part of a crop of youngish players who could really do well in the next couple of years. Both have potential to go far in Grand Slams. 

Youzhny is on form grass wise, getting to the final in Halle, and now doing well so far at Wimbledon. Troicki I doubt will pose any threat, neither will Youzhny probably.

Best we can hope for is a Janowicz v Murray Semi. Just looking at Djokovic's half he could play Haas and Berdych before the Semis, pretty tough. 

Can't disagree with any of that really. I certainly rate Paire highly and even Kubot had a decent run at Wimbledon a couple of years back iirc although he is getting on a bit. Melzer could have achieved so much more than he did and this is his best run at Wimbledon yet, usually he falters early on and his Grand Slam semi was at RG on his favourite court tbf. Who could have predicted that one of those would have made it though?

Djokovic draw looks tougher and tougher the more that I look at it. Haas proved a very tough obstacle for Djokovic at RG and Tommy loves the grass courts. As for Berdych, I can see Kev Anderson turning him over or even Gasquet before the potential Quarters vs Djokovic. Certainly is very interesting. My shout would then be Del Potro in the Semis, very very awkward ties and can see Djokovic dropping an odd set here and there if he makes it to the final.

Can't disagree with any of that really. I certainly rate Paire highly and even Kubot had a decent run at Wimbledon a couple of years back iirc although he is getting on a bit. Melzer could have achieved so much more than he did and this is his best run at Wimbledon yet, usually he falters early on and his Grand Slam semi was at RG on his favourite court tbf. Who could have predicted that one of those would have made it though?

Djokovic draw looks tougher and tougher the more that I look at it. Haas proved a very tough obstacle for Djokovic at RG and Tommy loves the grass courts. As for Berdych, I can see Kev Anderson turning him over or even Gasquet before the potential Quarters vs Djokovic. Certainly is very interesting. My shout would then be Del Potro in the Semis, very very awkward ties and can see Djokovic dropping an odd set here and there if he makes it to the final.

I rate Paire as well, definitely could do things within the next couple of years, but of course he has to get past Kubot first, who is no mug and is a tricky customer himself. Melzer always seems to play well now and again, not surprised to see him get this far tbh, but Jerzy will be an incredible test. Of course I doubt anybody would of predicted anything like this to happen, but I keep bigging Janowicz up but honestly I'm not surprised that he has got this far, even if Federer was still in the draw, Janowicz could of given him problems. Been a big fan of Janowicz ever since he burst onto the scene in Paris last year, the guy is an absolute beast, even though his serve is bombing and so are his forehands and backhands, the thing I like about him the most is, is his capabilities of pulling off drop shots, despite all the power he is also very clever with other parts of his game. 

I thought Berdych was in the other quarter to Djokovic and it would be possible for them to meet in the Semis, but indeed not. Del Potro is probably the best bet, if it is to be Ferrer who is in that quarter, then I doubt he would trouble Djokovic at all, but of course like you say Djokovic has to get past probably Hass, Gasquet/Berdych if he wants to reach the Semis, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was to get knocked out by Hass and Berdych in particular, I just don't think Gasquet has the mental strength to beat Djokovic over a 5 set match. Watch out for Kei Nishikori as well though, another up and coming player, but he has Seppi next who is a good grass court player. 

Just about to say that. They're both crap.

lol crap today, she's better than this

I disagree, Laura has stepped it up in the final set... Looked very nervous for a set and a half but thankfully found some form.

She's got better (still miles from her best) it's still more to do with the Kiwi at the other end mis hitting drop shots and serving about 6 doubles in 2 games

Edited by Manwell Pablo

lol crap today, she's better than this

She's got better it's still more to do with the Kiwi at the other end mis hitting drop shots and serving about 6 doubles in 2 games

That is true, Laura managed to take advantage and hey if Laura comes through this off form that is sign of a very good player.

Hard to tell this early on but at the moment she's got serious improvements to make to be consistently top 10 never mind great.

The only thing Robson needs to improve is her consistency to hit the top 10. She's shown she can take on the best, cut out the meek losses against weaker opposition and she'll go much further up the rankings. It's not like the 30-10 rankings are brimming with consistent talent right now.

Movement is still an issue, but her hitting can more than make up for that. And she has plenty of time to improve.

Edited by leicsmac

Considering its been 14 years since we got a female tennis player to the fourth round of Wimbledon, and Robson's fourth round in the US last year was the furthest in ages in the others, I don't think we can be too picky. If she can win a few tournaments, and get to a few grand slam quarters and semis then that would be a good start. Grand slam finals and titles would be a bonus. She showing decent potential, and we'll just have to wait and see how far she can go.

The only thing Robson needs to improve is her consistency to hit the top 10. She's shown she can take on the best, cut out the meek losses against weaker opposition and she'll go much further up the rankings. It's not like the 30-10 rankings are brimming with consistent talent right now.

Movement is still an issue, but her hitting can more than make up for that. And she has plenty of time to improve.

So she's got serious improvements to make to consistently be in the top 10 then.

Erakovic choked in all honesty, serving for the match, then also served to take it into a tie break and failed on both.

It was always going to be a tough match, Erakovic is an underrated player, had a poor start to the year but since the French Open she has been playing well, she has been hitting the ball well, and as you saw, her serving and forehand can be deadly. 

But she choked, and let Laura back in the match, who then thankfully played better than she was doing and won.

She didn't play that well, but her match next round is very winnable as well.