Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Guest MattP

What i can't work out is, it's like a forest fan coming out and saying "I hate Leicester City, and there fans are scum" would you still cheer him on,

This is what Andy Murray things about the english, it's got nothing to do with him being scottish either. I can't simply cheer on someone whose made it publicly clear that he hates the english! Yet if you said I hate scottish your deemed racist,

'Anyone but England' said as a joke with him and Tim Henman laughing isn't really the same as ""I hate England, and the people are scum" really is it?

It would be as moronic as a Leicester fan not supporting Carl Froch against an American because he said he wanted Watford to beat us in the play offs.

Edited by MattP

What i can't work out is, it's like a forest fan coming out and saying "I hate Leicester City, and there fans are scum" would you still cheer him on,

This is what Andy Murray things about the english, it's got nothing to do with him being scottish either. I can't simply cheer on someone whose made it publicly clear they hate the english! Yet if you said I hate scottish your deemed racist,

Mate, the idea that Murray hates the English has been debunked more times than I care to say on this thread alone. Look back a few pages for the truth: that he made a joke with Tim Henman in 2006 which the media blew up into a massive controversy. 

So many people still have a lack of understanding of what actually happened - the hack that wrote the story has a lot to answer for.

He lives in England with his English girlfriend and English training assistants. 

You're basing your opinion of the man on a lie. Worse, a bad one.

When did Murray use those exact words in reference to the English though?

I think if he did then no matter how hooray henryish the spectators are at Centre Court they'd not give him the time of day.

It was reported in the newspaper few years ago, plus during the world cup in 2010 or 2006 he wore the oppositions shirt for every england opponent we played on that day. 

This is what Andy Murray things about the english, it's got nothing to do with him being scottish either. I can't simply cheer on someone whose made it publicly clear that he hates the english! Yet if you said I hate scottish your deemed racist,

I have been a Murray fan since the Juniors, yes he doesn't support England at footie, if he hated Leicester it doesn't change the fact he is a great British Tennis player. He represent Great Britian and we would be nowhere in the sport if it wasn't for Murray. Him being Scottish doesn't bother me, I have supported many scots at the Olympics before... Edited by shearfox

I am English, and I hate the English.

Never met a more deluded bunch of people.

It was a joke. Scottish people don't like the English much shocker!

If we had a half decent English player people would cheer them on, Murray is the only option.

And I thought it was the Irish you didn't like? :whistle:

What is it with people in here hating on Andy Murray.  God sake yeah he may have said a couple of things that hes taken stick for but give the guy a break.  Hes an outstanding sportsman at what he does and whether hes English, Scottish, Welsh or whatever, hes British, and he should be cheered on because of that.

That was a quality 3 hours viewing as far as im concerned and I was cheering for him from the first point to the last

'Anyone but England' said as a joke with him and Tim Henman laughing isn't really the same as ""I hate England, and the people are scum" really is it?

It would be as moronic as a Leicester fan not supporting Carl Froch against an American because he said he wanted Watford to beat us in the play offs.

The point is at the end of the day, you can say anything you like about the english but englishman is not allowed to say anything bad against the scots. 

It was reported in the newspaper few years ago, plus during the world cup in 2010 or 2006 he wore the oppositions shirt for every england opponent we played on that day. 

Enough fans of English clubs want the England team to lose, can't see an issue with a Scot feeling the same.

Banter?

Hence the fact his girlfriend is english...and his best friend....

I have been a Murray fan since the Juniors, yes he doesn't support England at footie, if he hated Leicester it doesn't change the fact he is a great British Tennis player. He represent Great Britian and we would be nowhere in the sport if it wasn't for Murray. Him being Scottish doesn't bother me, I have supported many scots at the Olympics before...

I would have cheered him if didn't make them comments in the past about us. It's okay having a bit of banter, a bit of a laugh but he simply goes to far.

The point is at the end of the day, you can say anything you like about the english but englishman is not allowed to say anything bad against the scots. 

The english always abuse the scottish, irish, welsh etc...

And it works the other way as well, so i fail to see your point.

RIGHT. IN CAPS FOR EFFECT.

MURRAY DID NOT WEAR A FOOTBALL SHIRT AT ANY TIME DURING THE 2006 OR 2010 WORLD CUPS.

MURRAY DID NOT STATE THAT HE HATED THE ENGLISH.

MURRAY DID SAY A JOKE WITH TIM HENMAN IN 2006 WHERE THE WORDS 'ANYONE BUT ENGLAND' WERE USED.

THAT'S IT.

Everyone involved with the incident (even the hack that wrote it) has said this. Here it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1194310/DES-KELLY-For-time--Scot-Andy-Murray-traitor.html

Why do people still pillory a guy over a joke that happened 7 years ago?

Edited by leicsmac

It was a joke. Scottish people don't like the English much shocker!

If we had a half decent English player people would cheer them on, Murray is the only option.

And I thought it was the Irish you didn't like? :whistle:

I like the northern irish! To be fair the northern irish are the only other country in british isles that show England some respect. Plus i've got nothing against the welsh much, i only hate countries that make it public they hate us. I mean it's like a leicester fan cheering on forest.

Edited by Leicesterpool

I would have cheered him if didn't make them comments in the past about us. It's okay having a bit of banter, a bit of a laugh but he simply goes to far.

Grow up.

It is no surprise people hate us English when we have idiots like you expressing your views.

RIGHT. IN CAPS FOR EFFECT.

MURRAY DID NOT WEAR A FOOTBALL SHIRT AT ANY TIME DURING THE 2006 OR 2010 WORLD CUPS.

MURRAY DID NOT STATE THAT HE HATED THE ENGLISH.

MURRAY DID SAY A JOKE WITH TIM HENMAN IN 2006 WHERE THE WORDS 'ANYONE BUT ENGLAND' WERE USED.

THAT'S IT.

Everyone involved with the incident (even the hack that wrote it) has said this. Here it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1194310/DES-KELLY-For-time--Scot-Andy-Murray-traitor.html

People just will not have it, they need a reason to hate Murray because he is British and one of the best at his game.

Anyway at the end of the day, you don't have to like everybody and everybody as a person they hate.

But anyway i'm not the biggest tennis fan anyway as they say "anyone but Murray" and that's banter.

Edited by Leicesterpool

Haha have a day off mate!! He said he'd support anyone but England as a joke after Henman made a joke about Scotland. Him hating the English is a complete myth. Hope he wins it!

Anyway at the end of the day, you don't have to like everybody and everybody as a person they hate.

But anyway i'm not the biggest tennis fan anyway as they say "anyone but Murray" and that's banter.

That's obviously fair dos.

But not everybody has to hate him like.

That is not banter, it is pure hate for what is no reason what-so-ever.

Fair play to Murray. Verdasco's the real winner though, I mean look at that hair. Didn't fall out of place once. The man deserves his own advert if he's not already got one. I can't imagine Murray's bald patch and receding hair line doing him many favours. He'll be bald by 30.