Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

KingFox - serious question, do actually, seriously believe Janowicz will win the us open? When it all kicks off at Flushing Meadows in a couple of months you think he will lift the trophy? Not just hope, not just blind optimism, but that you honestly as a tennis fan pick him above all others as the us open champion?

No.

This is all sarcasm, only thing real is that I rate him and I think he could well become a Grand Slam Champion.

Think he will bow out maybe in R4.

More than likely will be Djokovic v Murray final, Del Potro as an outsider. 

Doing a little digging...how little did we all know back then eh?

When he first burst into tears I laughed at him, but when he went on a bit more and started crying again I felt sorry for him.

At least he won a set, but he will never win a grand slam, he just doesn't have it in him regardless how hard he tries.

Djokovic and Nadal will only get stronger when Federer is in his last years, Tsonga, Del Potro and Berdych may improve aswell.

Federer was just a class above again.

I think that's why he cried and got so emotional today. He knows that. He knows he played fantastically for almost a whole 4 sets today and still lost 3 of them. And that was against the "weakest" of the top 3. That's why I feel a bit sorry for him. He genuinely cannot do much more than he has and he's still not won a slam.

Edited by leicsmac

That's part of the problem though I think.

We have all seen Djokovic play far better than that, I think that was Murray at the top of his game and unfortunately it still just wasnt good enough to put him away. He should get a slam by law fo averages but I do worry for him as the mental side of it could start to effect him, The Aus and US are the only two i think he can win as well.

Just goes to show what a difference a year/12 months makes.

Murray started well. But he doesn't have the composure or stamina to keep his game together over five sets. That's why he'll always be vulnerable against the very top players, and with too many of those around right now, he's very unlikely to ever win a major.

But at least his Gazza-style antics after the match will stand him in good stead at the end of the year when sports awards are handed out. Even if Team GB win a shedload of gold medals at the Olympics, too many Brits prefer a "brave loser" to a genuine winner.

The forums very own Mystic Meg strikes again. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP

The forums very own Mystic Meg strikes again. 

That's fantastic, the second line is even more priceless when you see the top three were Wiggins, Ennis and Murray and the other 9 all won golds.

Very pleased to be proved wrong. :)

:thumbup:

TBH there were times when I thought he might not make it either. Thought he would need a match against someone other than the Top 4 in a Slam final, so very glad to proven wrong on that one - twice!

Edited by leicsmac

:thumbup:

TBH there were times when I thought he might not make it either. Thought he would need a match against someone other than the Top 4 in a Slam final, so very glad to proven wrong on that one - twice!

I always thought he'd win a slam, think there are very few people who said he would without question win Wimbledon one day, not that they didn't think he was capable it's just the thought of a Brit winning Wimbledon was too mind bending for a lot of people to comprehend, 

Think we dug that one out after the USO final too. Still gets funnier every time you read it considering what has happened in the 12 months since.

To be fair to him (for once) he dug it out himself after the USO. 

Still hilarious though, not really because he was wrong, the fact that he pointed out a lack of stamina as weakness for me is just one of the most laughable opinions I've read on this forum and that's saying something. 

I always thought he'd win a slam, think there are very few people who said he would without question win Wimbledon one day, not that they didn't think he was capable it's just the thought of a Brit winning Wimbledon was too mind bending for a lot of people to comprehend.

I actually from around 2010 thought Wimbledon was the most likely Slam for him to win because even though the surfaces have become homogenised a lot, Nadals and Djokovics advantages over him on grass were less than that on hard courts. Add in the crowd and the fact he likes playing there and I thought it would actually be the first Slam he won. 

As it is that's all moot because he conclusively closed the gap between himself and the rest of the Top 4 since and he's at least second favourite for 3 of the 4 Slams now for a considerable time to come.

Edited by leicsmac

Think when watching the US Open as well, even though he was 2 sets up, you still wasn't sure, then Djokovic came back, and I bet tones of people thought here we go again. 

But to win the final set quite convincingly 6-2, definitely changed things.

But what is so impressive with Murray and Djokovic, than the rest nowadays is speed and defence, I really really don't know how they can cover the back of the court like they do and get clean balls back, phenomenal it is. Especially Djokovic the way he stretches to his shots and hits hard winning shots off it, is just incredible.

Murray and Djokovic will dominate now I think, unless some youngsters can break through, or Del Potro still only 24 is next in line to join the elite group. Nadal and Federer will begin to fade away soon, it's beginning to show already.  

Doing a little digging...how little did we all know back then eh?

Yep. I think I said quite a few times I couldn't see how he'd ever win a slam because the other 3 were genuinely just a bit better than him. I'm still not sure how he's done it but he's got the beating of any of them now and I would be surprised if he's not favourite to win the US and most upcoming slams, as well as getting to number one if his form continues.

As MattP said very, very pleased to be proved wrong and very well done to Murray for managing to get to the top of what seemed to be an unconquerable top 3.

Last night the BBC were comparing this to England winning the '66 World Cup. I scoffed at that idea. I still don't believe it's true now. If we ever won the World Cup again literally everything else would pale into insignificance.

Im sure the tennis buffs would agree with the BBC especially Scottish ones. Today though Murray is having an audience with the PM and other party leaders. Are the BBC and some officials making more out of yesterday than is really required or am I just naive in not realising being Wimbledon Champion means much more to more people than I'd ever anticipated?

Surely not, as football is the national sport, not tennis.

Last night the BBC were comparing this to England winning the '66 World Cup. I scoffed at that idea. I still don't believe it's true now. If we ever won the World Cup again literally everything else would pale into insignificance.

Im sure the tennis buffs would agree with the BBC especially Scottish ones. Today though Murray is having an audience with the PM and other party leaders. Are the BBC and some officials making more out of yesterday than is really required or am I just naive in not realising being Wimbledon Champion means much more to more people than I'd ever anticipated?

Wimbledon is up there, it is the one that everyone wanted a Brit to win, this is pretty massive. But I do agree the World Cup would rule all.

I love the fact that Murray has finally won Wimbledon abd there is no denying it is a great achievement, but I thought wiggins' triumph last year at the tour was greater as no Brit half ever won the thing. My favourite living moment will always be Johnny wilkinson scoring that drop goal in the World Cup final :)