Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

• 4 weeks later...

Currently watching Nadal v Janowicz, my favourite two players, so I'm not on the bumming Janowicz bandwagon today.

Jerzy was serving for the first set, and messed up, had chances in the tie-break and didn't take them either.

7-6 Nadal first set. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great win for Dan Evans at the US Open earlier. Beating 11th seed Nishikori 6-4, 6-4, 6-2.

Yeah, great win. He's getting on too much to expect really good things, but it would be nice if he could get into the top 100 and be a decent no.2 for Murray at Davis Cup matches.

As for this tournament, Nadal has a cakewalk draw (Isner aside), Djoko looks alright until potentially running into Del P in a QF which will be tough. Federer will just get left in Nadals wake, and Murray has a decent draw apart from a potential toughie against Berdych in the QF (mind you, he's beaten him before).

One of Murray and Nadal have been involved in the past 15 consecutive GS finals, but never together. I think that will change here - Nadal-Murray final, with Murray successfully defending his title in an easier match than some might expect.

Yeah, great win. He's getting on too much to expect really good things, but it would be nice if he could get into the top 100 and be a decent no.2 for Murray at Davis Cup matches.

As for this tournament, Nadal has a cakewalk draw (Isner aside), Djoko looks alright until potentially running into Del P in a QF which will be tough. Federer will just get left in Nadals wake, and Murray has a decent draw apart from a potential toughie against Berdych in the QF (mind you, he's beaten him before).

One of Murray and Nadal have been involved in the past 15 consecutive GS finals, but never together. I think that will change here - Nadal-Murray final, with Murray successfully defending his title in an easier match than some might expect.

Well Evans is only 23. I don't expect him to win a Slam or anything, but top 100 or 50 and a few minor titles shouldn't be beyond him if he continues with this progress and attitude (he's openly admitted to having a bad attitude in the past.)

Well Evans is only 23. I don't expect him to win a Slam or anything, but top 100 or 50 and a few minor titles shouldn't be beyond him if he continues with this progress and attitude (he's openly admitted to having a bad attitude in the past.)

Yeah, it's the lack of discipline that has held him back until now. It's a shame because he's too far along now to develop enough to win big, but as you said top 100 or perhaps 50 may be in reach. Might win an ATP Tour-level 250 tournament if he's really lucky. And like I said, hopefully he can offer Murray some much needed singles support in the Davis Cup.

Yeah, it's the lack of discipline that has held him back until now. It's a shame because he's too far along now to develop enough to win big, but as you said top 100 or perhaps 50 may be in reach. Might win an ATP Tour-level 250 tournament if he's really lucky. And like I said, hopefully he can offer Murray some much needed singles support in the Davis Cup.

Think he's had a couple of decent Davis Cup results in the past, and that's probably what's been the reason people haven't totally given up on him. It would be great for another man to make the top 100, we've had a few false dawns in the past so it's about time.

23  :unsure:

The reason he's not done so well in the past is because he's a bit of a bad lad, talents there without question.

Bold statement. 

23  :unsure:

The reason he's not done so well in the past is because he's a bit of a bad lad, talents there without question.

Bold statement. 

Yeah, I should qualify that. By the time they were 23 practically all of the top 8 players had won big tournaments. Nole, Rafa and Fed had won Slams, and Murray had reached 2 Slam finals (and was about to hit his third). Many of the others had won Masters or at the least some ATP 250's.

I'm not writing him off totally, I'm just saying that he probably won't make it to the top echelons of the game barring a miracle now, probably due to the stunting in his development due to lack of discipline. In modern tennis, if you haven't made it right to the top by your early to mid twenties, you probably never will. But he can make it to the top 50 if he applies himself I reckon, and possibly net himself a 250 title or two. I'd love to be wrong though - it'd be great to have another Brit near the top.

As for the final, I think people are massively overrating Nadals standing on this kind of hardcourt. He's won the US Open once, but every other time either Djokovic, Del Potro or Murray have seen him off. The results at the Toronto and Cincy Masters are very good, but this court is faster than either, which gives Murray especially an advantage, just like at the Aus Open. There's a reason he's only won it the once.

It's fortunate for him that he'll only have to play one of Murray, Djoko or Del P (the three people I would put as favourites against him in a one-on-one match here) at most and that in the final, but if he does face one of them in the final I think he'll lose. And I think it will be to Murray, in a similar style to the Wimbledon final.

Of course, I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Edited by leicsmac

Dan Evans good win, but I don't see what all the fuss is about yet. Seen some highlights and he played excellently well, but it wouldn't surprise me if this result turns out to be a fluke. 

As for the title, Rafa is favourite for a reason, regardless of court speed. Murray though will be much harder to beat over five sets than three sets of course; however I'm going to stick my neck on the line, and say the winner could well be Del Potro again.

Yeah, I should qualify that. By the time they were 23 practically all of the top 8 players had won big tournaments. Nole, Rafa and Fed had won Slams, and Murray had reached 2 Slam finals (and was about to hit his third). Many of the others had won Masters or at the least some ATP 250's.

I'm not writing him off totally, I'm just saying that he probably won't make it to the top echelons of the game barring a miracle now, probably due to the stunting in his development due to lack of discipline. In modern tennis, if you haven't made it right to the top by your early to mid twenties, you probably never will. But he can make it to the top 50 if he applies himself I reckon, and possibly net himself a 250 title or two. I'd love to be wrong though - it'd be great to have another Brit near the top.

As for the final, I think people are massively overrating Nadals standing on this kind of hardcourt. He's won the US Open once, but every other time either Djokovic, Del Potro or Murray have seen him off. The results at the Toronto and Cincy Masters are very good, but this court is faster than either, which gives Murray especially an advantage, just like at the Aus Open. There's a reason he's only won it the once.

It's fortunate for him that he'll only have to play one of Murray, Djoko or Del P (the three people I would put as favourites against him in a one-on-one match here) at most and that in the final, but if he does face one of them in the final I think he'll lose. And I think it will be to Murray, in a similar style to the Wimbledon final.

Of course, I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Hmmm I dunno, was mighty impressive yesterday, watched him at Queens as welll and he was rather good there until he ran into Kingfoxs boyfriend, I'm hopeing for top 32 myself :ph34r:

I think you will be, can't see him winning this! Although I hope I'm wrong of course. 

We'll find out in less than 2 weeks though  :D

Thought he knocked him out, maybe I'm going mad

Was Del Potro.

But with Evans he beat Pella and Nieminen at Queens, not really impressive wins tbh. We seen James Ward reach the Semis of Queens in 2011, what has he done since, bugger all.

We will see, but I think people are talking up this Kyle Edmund more.

Was Del Potro.

But with Evans he beat Pella and Nieminen at Queens, not really impressive wins tbh. We seen James Ward reach the Semis of Queens in 2011, what has he done since, bugger all.

I don't ever recall Jamie Ward blasting a eleventh seed off the court at a grand slam, in straight sets. Kyle Edmund is still far too young.

Was Del Potro.

Edmund has the potential, and hopefully will start to use it further now. Ward had one fluke run at a home tournament I agree, but Evans taking out an 11th seed in a non-home Slam is perhaps a bit different. Only time will tell.

I don't ever recall Jamie Ward blasting a eleventh seed off the court at a grand slam, in straight sets. Kyle Edmund is still far too young.

As above.

It's obvious from listening to those around British tennis that they rate Evans, and that as a pure shotmaker he has the ability to be much higher ranked than he is. His gamestyle will lead to natural inconsistency, however.

Difficult to say where he could get with his supposed "new attitude", but top 100 should probbaly be the bare minimum.

Edmund has the potential, and hopefully will start to use it further now. Ward had one fluke run at a home tournament I agree, but Evans taking out an 11th seed in a non-home Slam is perhaps a bit different. Only time will tell.

Only time will tell, if he goes on a good run at the US Open then people will believe more, if he goes out next round then it will show, that his win against Nishikori might of been a fluke. Tomic for him next anyway, who knows what will happen with Bernard, one of the most unpredictable players on tour.

We've seen shocks at Wimbledon, in both Men's and Women's side and those players who claimed the shocks did nothing in the next round.

If he continues to beat good players, and climbs the rankings then brilliant. But this is just one good win so far.

Only time will tell, if he goes on a good run at the US Open then people will believe more, if he goes out next round then it will show, that his win against Nishikori might of been a fluke. Tomic for him next anyway, who knows what will happen with Bernard, one of the most unpredictable players on tour.

We've seen shocks at Wimbledon, in both Men's and Women's side and those players who claimed the shocks did nothing in the next round.

If he continues to beat good players, and climbs the rankings then brilliant. But this is just one good win so far.

The differences between Evans and the likes of Darcis and Stakhovsky is that a) Evans has shown promises in the past, and b) Evans is youngish, Darcis and Stakhovsky are both much older, and have never produced or even looked like producing those results before. When a player in his late 20's early 30' pulls off that kind of result its much more likely to be a one off, when a player in his late teens early 20's does it , it can be seen as promising. For instance when Robson went on her run at the US last year it was exciting and made people sit up and take notice. A young girl in her late teens beating top seeds and big names. If that was Anne Keochovong or Elena Baltacha I don't think people would have been half as excited. Sure it would have been impressive, but after years of nothing I don't think people would have expected that to be repeated, where as in Robson's case they are because she has time to improve.

The differences between Evans and the likes of Darcis and Stakhovsky is that a) Evans has shown promises in the past, and b) Evans is youngish, Darcis and Stakhovsky are both much older, and have never produced or even looked like producing those results before. When a player in his late 20's early 30' pulls off that kind of result its much more likely to be a one off, when a player in his late teens early 20's does it , it can be seen as promising. For instance when Robson went on her run at the US last year it was exciting and made people sit up and take notice. A young girl in her late teens beating top seeds and big names. If that was Anne Keochovong or Elena Baltacha I don't think people would have been half as excited. Sure it would have been impressive, but after years of nothing I don't think people would have expected that to be repeated, where as in Robson's case they are because she has time to improve.

Evans has shown promises in the past?

Hardly, he has been playing future and challenger events all year, and I wouldn't class any of those wins impressive. He has beaten Nishikori his biggest win of his career so far, and so what? Yes Stakovsky and Darcis are older, but they managed to beat much better players than Nishikori even if it was a fluke. 

I will judge when he plays Tomic, and if he starts producing even more impressive results, it's way too early to tell.

Janowicz is in his early twenties, and has much more impressive wins than Evans has, yet you guys slag him off, just because Evans won one match and his British people jump on the bandwagon.

Robson is entirely different, she isn't even 20 yet, and the Women's game even though it's weaker, in terms of prospects wise and young up coming talent, it's in a better and much stronger situation than the ATP. If you follow the Women's game like I do, you could easily rack up 20 names who could do well in the next 2-3 years, you can't really do that with the Men's side. Laura has talent in abundance, and has been talked up for years, and it's not surprising that she is doing so well. 

Nobody has really bothered about Evans up until now, Evans is 23, and like I said earlier, James Ward had a much more impressive run at Queens when he was 24, yet done nothing since.