Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Evans has shown promises in the past?

Hardly, he has been playing future and challenger events all year, and I wouldn't class any of those wins impressive. He has beaten Nishikori his biggest win of his career so far, and so what? Yes Stakovsky and Darcis are older, but they managed to beat much better players than Nishikori even if it was a fluke. 

I will judge when he plays Tomic, and if he starts producing even more impressive results, it's way too early to tell.

Janowicz is in his early twenties, and has much more impressive wins than Evans has, yet you guys slag him off, just because Evans won one match and his British people jump on the bandwagon.

Robson is entirely different, she isn't even 20 yet, and the Women's game even though it's weaker, in terms of prospects wise and young up coming talent, it's in a better and much stronger situation than the ATP. If you follow the Women's game like I do, you could easily rack up 20 names who could do well in the next 2-3 years, you can't really do that with the Men's side. Laura has talent in abundance, and has been talked up for years, and it's not surprising that she is doing so well. 

Nobody has really bothered about Evans up until now, Evans is 23, and like I said earlier, James Ward had a much more impressive run at Queens when he was 24, yet done nothing since.

Thought you watched and knew a lot about tennis. Evans has shown he has ability in the past, the LTA saw it, but he has had a bad attitude and not really shown much wanting to use his talent to get anywhere in the sport. He has funding pulled twice, not through lack of ability, but through lack of application of that ability. I'm not getting all gooey eyed because Evans is British, just hoping he can push on and maybe reach the top 100 that his ability is capable of. I'm not saying hell be the next Federer, or even the next Murray, Christ I'm not even saying he'll be the next Janowiscz, just that he has the ability if he applies himself to reach a decent ranking. The reason I call you on Janowiscz is because you do think he'll be the next Federer etc and he won't. He's a top 20, odd grand slam quarter final every now and then type player and no better. Janowiscz will have a decent career, much better than Evans, but he won't be amazing. I'm just hoping Evans will have an okay carrier.

Difference between Ward and Evans is Evans has shown he has ability in the past, but never applied it, Ward didn't he just had a decent run. Evans has had some good results in Davis Cup, Ward never did that. There's every reason to be hopeful Evans can push on, there wasn't really that reason to hope with Ward.

Thought you watched and knew a lot about tennis. Evans has shown he has ability in the past, the LTA saw it, but he has had a bad attitude and not really shown much wanting to use his talent to get anywhere in the sport. He has funding pulled twice, not through lack of ability, but through lack of application of that ability. I'm not getting all gooey eyed because Evans is British, just hoping he can push on and maybe reach the top 100 that his ability is capable of. I'm not saying hell be the next Federer, or even the next Murray, Christ I'm not even saying he'll be the next Janowiscz, just that he has the ability if he applies himself to reach a decent ranking. The reason I call you on Janowiscz is because you do think he'll be the next Federer etc and he won't. He's a top 20, odd grand slam quarter final every now and then type player and no better. Janowiscz will have a decent career, much better than Evans, but he won't be amazing. I'm just hoping Evans will have an okay carrier.

Difference between Ward and Evans is Evans has shown he has ability in the past, but never applied it, Ward didn't he just had a decent run. Evans has had some good results in Davis Cup, Ward never did that. There's every reason to be hopeful Evans can push on, there wasn't really that reason to hope with Ward.

When I want to see ability, I expect it to be seen against the top players. He hasn't shown any ability in major tournaments, up until yesterday. LTA may have seen it, but that's probably in future and challenger events. He has hardly played any big events on tour, but when he has and starts picking up even more impressive wins, then I will believe and people then should start talking, but like I said, it's too early to tell now. 

Janowicz and Dimitrov have both lost today, and have been talked up, about being the future of the ATP. So anything can happen. 

Edited by kingfox

When I want to see ability, I expect it to be seen against the top players. He hasn't shown any ability in major tournaments, up until yesterday. LTA may have seen it, but that's probably in future and challenger events. He has hardly played any big events on tour, but when he has and starts picking up even more impressive wins, then I will believe and people then should start talking, but like I said, it's too early to tell now. 

Janowicz and Dimitrov have both lost today, and have been talked up, about being the future of the ATP. So anything can happen.

As has been said, he has had clear ability for years but never applied himself, so he's hardly going to be at major tournaments is he. It can happen often in sport that competitors don't start to progress until later than others and often it's down to application. Look at Daniel Sturridge, he was ball greedy and terrible at making decision when at Chelsea, but it was clear he had fantastic ability. Evans from what I've seen is similar, had the shots, but not the head for it. Things have changed for both them this year as they've both had a change of attitude and they are doing much better. You need to look at the bigger picture, not just the major tournaments and not just look the stats. Each player is a human being and as such are individual cases, just because Evans hasn't made many majors in the past, doesn't mean people didn't see something in him, much like Sturridge.

Also he's been slightly higher than he is the rankings now, before, so that would point to this not being a one hit wonder, he shown form to get this highly ranked before, and dropped off due to lack of commitment. Now he's admitted his faults, why can't he push on?

You can continue to shoot your load over the likes of Janowiscz who'll get knowhere, I'll continue to enjoy the very best, whilst hoping British talent can make some impact on the rankings.

As has been said, he has had clear ability for years but never applied himself, so he's hardly going to be at major tournaments is he. It can happen often in sport that competitors don't start to progress until later than others and often it's down to application. Look at Daniel Sturridge, he was ball greedy and terrible at making decision when at Chelsea, but it was clear he had fantastic ability. Evans from what I've seen is similar, had the shots, but not the head for it. Things have changed for both them this year as they've both had a change of attitude and they are doing much better. You need to look at the bigger picture, not just the major tournaments and not just look the stats. Each player is a human being and as such are individual cases, just because Evans hasn't made many majors in the past, doesn't mean people didn't see something in him, much like Sturridge.

Also he's been slightly higher than he is the rankings now, before, so that would point to this not being a one hit wonder, he shown form to get this highly ranked before, and dropped off due to lack of commitment. Now he's admitted his faults, why can't he push on?

You can continue to shoot your load over the likes of Janowiscz who'll get knowhere, I'll continue to enjoy the very best, whilst hoping British talent can make some impact on the rankings.

When I say major tournaments I'm counting 250 events and stuff as well, tournaments which are mainly televised, and where you play against the best week in week out. I don't see how things have changed for both of them this year, I don't see how winning in mainly future events all year comes across as change and improvement. Of main tournaments he has played two so far this year Queens and US, he didn't even qualify for Wimbledon.

I don't see the rave yet, and like I said I will judge when I see him face Tomic, it's too early to get all high over him. 

When I say major tournaments I'm counting 250 events and stuff as well, tournaments which are mainly televised, and where you play against the best week in week out. I don't see how things have changed for both of them this year, I don't see how winning in mainly future events all year comes across as change and improvement. Of main tournaments he has played two so far this year Queens and US, he didn't even qualify for Wimbledon.

I don't see the rave yet, and like I said I will judge when I see him face Tomic, it's too early to get all high over him.

I've just said you need to stop looking at just stats, that means results! If you can't see how things have changed for him this year, and for Sturridge then you're an idiot and I won't be discussing this with you anymore. Sport is as much about the mind as it is ability. Evans has shown promise in terms of his style and ability even if hasn't had the results, you can play well and lose you know.

:giggle: Jerzy

And Almagro & Dimitrov...

I've just said you need to stop looking at just stats, that means results! If you can't see how things have changed for him this year, and for Sturridge then you're an idiot and I won't be discussing this with you anymore. Sport is as much about the mind as it is ability. Evans has shown promise in terms of his style and ability even if hasn't had the results, you can play well and lose you know.

If I'm not allowed to look at results what I'm I meant to be looking at. 

Things have not changed for him this year, he has played two main tournaments all year, and if people are going to rage because of his performances in those two tournaments, then that's a absolute joke. 

A lot of players show promise and ability yet lose, I actually liked the look of Edmund when he played Jerzy at Wimbledon, but not gonna tout him up yet, because he doesn't deserve to be.

And same applies to Evans, if he continues to beat players like Nishikori, then I will start taking notice, like you said about Robson beating top players, beating top players shows that you are capable in mind as well as skill, and Robson has beaten enough to prove that she may have something. Evans has just proved that on one occasion, and people are making it a big deal just because his British. 

Take someone like Jack Sock for instance, who has just been shown on Sky Sports now, he has been talked up quite a lot, and I know Rusedski has mentioned about his potential in the past, he has done similar to Evans this year, and his biggest win was against Milos Raonic who is one place above Nishikori in the rankings.

I should imagine he'll lose to Tomic as Tomic is a better player, and very similar character, actually. He's another one who's not really made the most of the talent he has although he has a lot more than Evans.

The point being made, if you just stop judging him by bits of paper, is he is actually quite a good tennis player, if you watch him, as opposed to looking up his career on the internet.

• Like 1

I should imagine he'll lose to Tomic as Tomic is a better player, and very similar character, actually. He's another one who's not really made the most of the talent he has although he has a lot more than Evans.

The point being made, if you just stop judging him by bits of paper, is he is actually quite a good tennis player, if you watch him, as opposed to looking up his career on the internet.

Like I said though MP, I've seen a few players who have been touted up as being potentially top players, have showed promise in matches before yet not won, or have managed to win the odd match like Evans has so far. 

I don't see the big fuss, as he has mainly played challenger and future events against guys ranked around him. 

Jack Sock, Ryan Harrison, David Goffin those types of players, have shown promise in matches before yet not really excelled in terms of managing to win those matches. 

And if you can't look at results, what are you meant to look at, and especially when you are playing future and challenger events, the only way you can see about those results is on the internet, because nobody covers them TV wise.

And Almagro & Dimitrov...

If I'm not allowed to look at results what I'm I meant to be looking at.

Things have not changed for him this year, he has played two main tournaments all year, and if people are going to rage because of his performances in those two tournaments, then that's a absolute joke.

A lot of players show promise and ability yet lose, I actually liked the look of Edmund when he played Jerzy at Wimbledon, but not gonna tout him up yet, because he doesn't deserve to be.

And same applies to Evans, if he continues to beat players like Nishikori, then I will start taking notice, like you said about Robson beating top players, beating top players shows that you are capable in mind as well as skill, and Robson has beaten enough to prove that she may have something. Evans has just proved that on one occasion, and people are making it a big deal just because his British.

Take someone like Jack Sock for instance, who has just been shown on Sky Sports now, he has been talked up quite a lot, and I know Rusedski has mentioned about his potential in the past, he has done similar to Evans this year, and his biggest win was against Milos Raonic who is one place above Nishikori in the rankings.

Manwell has hit the nail on the head with his last sentence. No more needs extending on that part.

Also though if you read back we're all talking about him being top 100 player, not a ****ing Slam winner or a top ten player for Christ sake. We're not over cooking where he might get, we're just saying we hope he can reach a decent ranking. You seem to think we're judging him along side the likes of Dimitrov, Janowiscz and Raonic, or even building him up along side really young players who have barely started like Edmund, we're just saying he might finally start to realise his promise and get a decent

As for the challenger and future comments, he hasn't always played them he's dropped back into that level, so people have seen him before, he's not only played those events his whole career.

And if you're telling me you've never watched sport and seen a player who frustrates you because he clearly has something but he's not converting that something into results, then your lying.

Edited by Facecloth

Manwell has hit the nail on the head with his last sentence. No more needs extending on that part.

Also though if you read back we're all talking about him being top 100 player, not a ****ing Slam winner or a top ten player for Christ sake. We're not over cooking where he might get, we're just saying we hope he can reach a decent ranking. You seem to think we're judging him along side the likes of Dimitrov, Janowiscz and Raonic, or even building him up along side really young players who have barely started like Edmund, we're just saying he might finally start to realise his promise and get a decent ranking.

You were coming across in two different ways.

Here's hoping he shows some more promise and gets into the top 100.

Then you come across, as your expecting big things from him, and that he will beat big players more and more often. 

I do watch and follow Tennis, but I follow the Women's game more.

You were coming across in two different ways.

Here's hoping he shows some more promise and gets into the top 100.

Then you come across, as your expecting big things from him, and that he will beat big players more and more often. 

I do watch and follow Tennis, but I follow the Women's game more.

I never said I expect big things from him in terms of defeating top players, where did I say that? All I said is I see no reason he can't push on and there's no reason this should be freak result. Decent top 100 players often pull of results against lower seeds. You were comparing his win to the like of Darcis etc at Wimbledon, all I said was they aren't really in a position to build on those results, Evans is. I'm not saying I expect him to start picking off top players, just that I expect more to come from him, I don't expect more to come from Darcis, he touching 30.

Showing good aggression, ripping it off the forehand, pretty old school as well in terms of going to the net. Two things though, he has missed some easy balls, and he needs to hold serve better.

Tomic too tentative, too unpredictable, handing easy balls back to Evans.

Showing good aggression, ripping it off the forehand, pretty old school as well in terms of going to the net. Two things though, he has missed some easy balls, and he needs to hold serve better.

Tomic too tentative, too unpredictable, handing easy balls back to Evans.

But he's holding his own against Tomic, who is player comfortably in the top 100. That what we are hoping for from him, to reach a similar level. How great would it be to have a British male ranked between 50 and 80, it's been years since we've had anyone other than Murray even close to that.

Good break back, fitness looks a worry but hopefully that break back will get him going again. In slams you can't afford to show any weakness. It was important after that massive shock in the first round he proves he can continue that level. He is certainly doing that.

Edited by shearfox

But he's holding his own against Tomic, who is player comfortably in the top 100. That what we are hoping for from him, to reach a similar level. How great would it be to have a British male ranked between 50 and 80, it's been years since we've had anyone other than Murray even close to that.

Could well do, but not been impressed with both in terms of holding serve better, yes they have had comfortable holds, but there's been 10 breaks, they should be doing better than that. 

Evans needs to keep it up, seems to be getting agitated for some reason, even though he is 2 sets to 1 up. 

Could well do, but not been impressed with both in terms of holding serve better, yes they have had comfortable holds, but there's been 10 breaks, they should be doing better than that. 

Evans needs to keep it up, seems to be getting agitated for some reason, even though he is 2 sets to 1 up.

Firstly he's a game away from victory, so wouldn't worry about him getting wound up. Criticising a player for that when your a Janowiscz fan is rich.

Secondly, stop judging him on the very best players, he's aiming for a top 100 ranking not top 10. He'll drop serves, he'll miss shots, he'll make mistakes, he's not Novak Djokovic!