Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

It's been a long time since Murray played that poorly in a GS match off-clay, and the last time he lost that badly there was a reason for it. Wonder if there is this time?

Ah well, Nadal-Djoko final it is then. Roll on London and the end of year.

He's been looking a bit injured in earlier rounds, with his hip, they were saying, don't know whether he'll use that as an excuse though.

Wawrinka has had a terrific year to be honest, just attacked and attacked with venom. Murray was on the back foot all match, and credit to Stan for not letting him in. That backhand is gorgeous. And it's nice to see a bit of a change as well, with both Wawrinka & Gasquet in the Semis. 

He's been looking a bit injured in earlier rounds, with his hip, they were saying, don't know whether he'll use that as an excuse though.

No he didn't... a bit tough coming from one of the greatest moments of your life and the best of your career and then getting straight back into it where everyone is gunning for you. Just had a bad day while Wawrinka was hitting the lines with venom, I doubt anyone could have truly beat Wawrinka yesterday, a great performance which Murray did point out and also said he was just too good.

Edited by shearfox

Great article in The Times today about Simon Barnes regarding Federer.

I understand the argument of if he's enjoying it etc etc but it's so hard seeing a genius play like this.

No he didn't... a bit tough coming from one of the greatest moments of your life and the best of your career and then getting straight back into it where everyone is gunning for you. Just had a bad day while Wawrinka was hitting the lines with venom, I doubt anyone could have truly beat Wawrinka yesterday, a great performance which Murray did point out and also said he was just too good.

Don't disagree with me, disagree with the commentators who were saying looks like his hip is giving him problems again, every time he grimaced and held it, I'm thinking particularly at the start of the Istomin match before I fell asleep, 

Confirmed by the Independent report of the match

Murray had said after his third-round victory over Florian Mayer that he needed to start matches more quickly, but once again he was slow out of the blocks. For much of the first set the Scot looked comparatively sluggish and in the early games he appeared to have a problem with his left hip.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/us-open-2013-andy-murray-struggles-through-to-quarterfinals-in-sluggish-victory-over-denis-istomin-8797207.html

So 

4f0EIIl.gif

Another remarkable physical recovery from Nadal.

Amazing isn't it, see Murray has again came out with the drugs remarks today.....not even bothering to be subtle anymore. lol

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/conversations-with-andy-murray-on-beating-cheating/?_r=0

Was on news earlier but looks like the interview was after the Istomin match.

It;s about the 7th, 8th time he has done it.

Ah right, thought you meant he said something about Nadal specifically.

If tennis does have a drugs problem, it is insidious because it's either undetectable and only the stupid ones are getting caught (bad) or the authorities know about it but aren't taking any action (worse). 

I will say that to come back from an injury and sweep the board in the way Nadal has done is very very unusual, but it being unusual doesn't equate to guilt - only suspicion, as many have said. But I think suspicion is all it can remain until incontrovertible proof can be supplied, and given the Fuentes fiasco I hardly see that happening any time soon.

No, think we all know who he means though and after the blood samples were destroyed by the Spanish courts any chance of catching someone appeared to have gone.

Nadal will always be linked with it as he worked with Fuentes, impossible not to think something had been administered at some point.

Edited by MattP

Britain back in the Davis Cup world elite group after beating Croatia 4-1.

Good result.

With Murray and a good set of doubles players we'd stand a chance against most teams in the World Group. Spain and Serbia the only two where Murray wouldn't be a favourite for both his singles matches. 

Kazakhstan (and possibly Canada) the only two teams in the top 8 (who GB would face first round next year) with a second singles player that Evans/Ward would be a good chance against, though - so it would probably be up to Murray and the dubs to win all their matches.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone watch the Davis Cup last night?

Fantastic fight back by Ward to beat Querry in 5 sets after being 4-2 in the 4th, and then going on to win 10 of the next 11 games and take the final set 6-1.

Yeah, great effort from him. The whole tie sort of rested on his ability to win a rubber given that you'd expect Murray to make light work of both Query and Young and the Bryans will muller Murray and Flemming tonight more than likely. You'd expect Murray to see it out by beating Query now and possibly Kyle Edmund get a go against Query if Murray wins the first rubber (not sure who's going first)

Why isn't Isner playing?