Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Yeah, great effort from him. The whole tie sort of rested on his ability to win a rubber given that you'd expect Murray to make light work of both Query and Young and the Bryans will muller Murray and Flemming tonight more than likely. You'd expect Murray to see it out by beating Query now and possibly Kyle Edmund get a go against Query if Murray wins the first rubber (not sure who's going first)

Why isn't Isner playing?

Isner pulled out injured a few days before I think.

Yeah, great effort from him. The whole tie sort of rested on his ability to win a rubber given that you'd expect Murray to make light work of both Query and Young and the Bryans will muller Murray and Flemming tonight more than likely. You'd expect Murray to see it out by beating Query now and possibly Kyle Edmund get a go against Query if Murray wins the first rubber (not sure who's going first)

Why isn't Isner playing?

Isner's injured, no?

Ha get in, never expected that. Hat's off James Ward more than anyone else.

Italy is winnable.

Indeed Wards victory set it up, why can these players like Ward and Evans win in the Davis cup but just don't perform throughout the year. We have had some magnificent wins in this competition even without Murray, Leon Smith seems to be a genius...

Superb result! Needed Ward to deliver the goods and he did so. It is something of a curiosity about how he can bring it like this in Davis Cup matches but can't match it in other parts of the year. Shame, really.

Italy is very winnable - you'd have thought Murray will make light work of Fognini and Seppi so it's up to Ward to grab another win or the dubs to do so - more likely the latter as the Italian doubles pairing isn't up to much. Hopefully Hutchins will be back by then as he and Fleming make for a very good team.

Indeed Wards victory set it up, why can these players like Ward and Evans win in the Davis cup but just don't perform throughout the year. We have had some magnificent wins in this competition even without Murray, Leon Smith seems to be a genius...

To be fair Wards Davis cup record is boosted by wins over players even he should be competing with or beating easily from Turkey, Tunisa, Luxembourg and the wot not, Tursonov aside.

• 1 month later...

Probably more Lendls call than Andy's.

Strange timing considering they both targeted an assault this clay court season. Interesting crossroads in Murray's career now. Hes played poorly since his surgery (especially on serve and an alarming reduction in power on his backhand) so hopefully this won't derail him further..

Agree on the amicability and really glad they're parting on good terms. But I do hope Murray knows what he's doing here.

I was funnily enough thinking this could be a good course of action just the other day when he lost to Ranoic at Indian Wells

The bloke was bought in to get him over the finish line in terms of winning a Grand Slam and instead of kicking on after achieving a career defining Wimbledon title he's gone dramatically backwards for me, blame it on the back/ankle/hair if you want but I think there is more to it than that, my prediction of a less than brilliant year for him is looking pretty accurate so far hopefully this can turn it around for him.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

I was funnily enough thinking this could be a good course of action just the other day when he lost to Ranoic at Indian Wells

The bloke was bought in to get him over the finish line in terms of winning a Grand Slam and instead of kicking on after achieving a career defining Wimbledon title he's gone dramatically backwards for me, blame it on the back/ankle/hair if you want but I think there is more to it than that, my prediction of a less than brilliant year for him is looking pretty accurate so far hopefully this can turn it around for him.

I think he went backwards post-Wimbledon due to the injury, but he has said himself that can't be used as an excuse any longer.

I'm reserving judgement on this year for a while...Aus Open aside his start to last year was as bad as this one, and look how that turned out.

Just one question though...if you think it's going to be a bad year for him why do you think that if it's not to do with the injury and why do you think him parting ways with Lendl could help?

I think he went backwards post-Wimbledon due to the injury, but he has said himself that can't be used as an excuse any longer.

I'm reserving judgement on this year for a while...Aus Open aside his start to last year was as bad as this one, and look how that turned out.

Just one question though...if you think it's going to be a bad year for him why do you think that if it's not to do with the injury and why do you think him parting ways with Lendl could help?

You made claims throughout the Australian Open that the back "wasn't an issue" so while you can probably blame his less than sparkling late season form on it if it's still causing issues now (which I'm pretty sure it is not) they aren't issues that are going to go away. 

That's kind of a big aside, I guess we'll see more this week as he looks to defend his Miami title.

Because Lendl was bought in as a man who had suffered several set backs in Grand Slams and eventually got himself over the line and his job was to try and help Murray achieve the same, the work he did on Murray's mental side of the game worked wonders up until now but I get the feeling with the historic Wimbledon win done and dusted there is an air of "job done" about their relationship. I sure that's not an attitude either would air but I'm pretty sure it'll be sitting there deep down. A new coach mixing things up trying new things might help him improve his form, although I still think he's going to have a less than sparkling season regardless. 

Murray like Federer was 2 years ago, is on a downward spiral. Ranked 6th in the World now, not good enough, another change might be for the better all round.

As for forum favourite Dan Evans, I see he isn't going to qualify for Miami either, done hardly nothing since US Open.

Murray like Federer was 2 years ago, is on a downward spiral. Ranked 6th in the World now, not good enough, another change might be for the better all round.

As for forum favourite Dan Evans, I see he isn't going to qualify for Miami either, done hardly nothing since US Open.

Murray doesn't have the confidence he had in his game, back surgery hasn't been easy to come back from but he will not be defending a massive amount of points over the year as a whole. Gets his confidence back and will be in the top 3 again.

Are you retarded, the fact he's even getting into qualifying never mind the final stage for a Masters tournament show's his improving, he got up to his highest ranking ever last month and is close to achieving a rank that'll get him into Grand Slam Draws without qualifying.

So try again. 

How's Jerzy getting on these days anyway?

Reached two semi finals in a row, but lost in R1 of Indian Wells last week. 

Are you retarded, the fact he's even getting into qualifying never mind the final stage for a Masters tournament show's his improving, he got up to his highest ranking ever last month and is close to achieving a rank that'll get him into Grand Slam Draws without qualifying.

So try again. 

Still losing to poor players though, didn't even qualify for the Australian Open, who the fook is Marton Fucsovics?

You made claims throughout the Australian Open that the back "wasn't an issue" so while you can probably blame his less than sparkling late season form on it if it's still causing issues now (which I'm pretty sure it is not) they aren't issues that are going to go away. 

That's kind of a big aside, I guess we'll see more this week as he looks to defend his Miami title.

Because Lendl was bought in as a man who had suffered several set backs in Grand Slams and eventually got himself over the line and his job was to try and help Murray achieve the same, the work he did on Murray's mental side of the game worked wonders up until now but I get the feeling with the historic Wimbledon win done and dusted there is an air of "job done" about their relationship. I sure that's not an attitude either would air but I'm pretty sure it'll be sitting there deep down. A new coach mixing things up trying new things might help him improve his form, although I still think he's going to have a less than sparkling season regardless. 

I don't think the back is an issue personally (it was up until he had surgery on it), I think the issue was a lack of match fitness caused by so long out. However he's been involved in a fair few tournaments since he returned, and given the lack of form has continued I agree there's something else at work.

I also think that Murrays form is often really subject to swings and roundabouts given what I've seen in the past and even though Lendl has been a stabilising influence on that it still remains a factor, which is why I'm hesitant to predict anything about his form more than a couple of tournaments ahead. That also happens to be the reason why I'm a bit worried that he and Lendl have split because I think that stabilising influence and increase in mental strength is something that was an ongoing process and needed more work. But we shall see. 

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO04VXBIS0M

Still losing to poor players though, didn't even qualify for the Australian Open, who the fook is Marton Fucsovics?

The odd loss cannot hide the fact that he is still progressing through the rankings at a decent pace. Let's bear in mind no one on here said he was going to be a superstar just a lad who was definitely capable of getting into the top 100 which he's nearly achieved now, he's had a good year.

I don't think the back is an issue personally (it was up until he had surgery on it), I think the issue was a lack of match fitness caused by so long out. However he's been involved in a fair few tournaments since he returned, and given the lack of form has continued I agree there's something else at work.

I also think that Murrays form is often really subject to swings and roundabouts given what I've seen in the past and even though Lendl has been a stabilising influence on that it still remains a factor, which is why I'm hesitant to predict anything about his form more than a couple of tournaments ahead. That also happens to be the reason why I'm a bit worried that he and Lendl have split because I think that stabilising influence and increase in mental strength is something that was an ongoing process and needed more work. But we shall see. 

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO04VXBIS0M

Now you see I don't think that, I think the works been done, and some of Lendls comments on leaving especially the "I helped him achieve his dream now I'm moving on" backs that up. But as you say, time will tell.

The odd loss cannot hide the fact that he is still progressing through the rankings at a decent pace. Let's bear in mind no one on here said he was going to be a superstar just a lad who was definitely capable of getting into the top 100 which he's nearly achieved now, he's had a good year.

A decent run in one tournament, that's it, lost to some players who haven't even qualified for a Grand Slam before, and are ranked 180-190 odd. 

I know more about Tennis than you do.

So you think Dan a Evans climbing the rankings and reaching a higher standard of tennis where he'll soon be a top 100 hundred player isn't what we all predicted 4 months ago.

****ing retarded ****.