Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Verdasco to beat Murray today might make a good value bet.

The H2H is 9-1 in Murrays favour but Verdasco has given him trouble in Slams before, Murray looked inconsistent against Kohli and (as always) it's clay. Nuff said.

Other than that everything has been going pretty much according to Hoyle apart from Fed coming apart against Gulbis. People have been saying this for some time now but surely the time is coming soon when he decides to spend more time with the wife and kids.

Verdasco to beat Murray today might make a good value bet.

The H2H is 9-1 in Murrays favour but Verdasco has given him trouble in Slams before, Murray looked inconsistent against Kohli and (as always) it's clay. Nuff said.

Other than that everything has been going pretty much according to Hoyle apart from Fed coming apart against Gulbis. People have been saying this for some time now but surely the time is coming soon when he decides to spend more time with the wife and kids.

Could be his last season I think, If not definitely next year. He's still competing though that's the thing, 4th in the world still.

Glad to be proven wrong about Murray yesterday, very competent performance to take out a dangerous opponent. 

Quarter-finals time...most of the big names still there. I think Nole will have too much for Raonic (though it might go to four) and Ferrer will do his typical Grand Slam thing when up against his better by bending over the net and asking Rafa to go to town.

The other two QF's though may be interesting. If Gulbis plays like he did against Federer (in no way guaranteed) then he will give Berdych a hard time, but if not Berydch's superior hitting will be enough. Murray-Monfils will be all down to form: If Murray plays like he did yesterday then he'll have too much, but if his form drops Monfils has a partisan crowd and the talent to take advantage.

And an interesting word on rankings: if Murray wins today and Nadal beats Ferrer, Murray is guaranteed to be back up to at least world no.5 by the time this tournament ends, and not too far behind Federer in 4th. Of course defending full Wimbledon points in a few weeks means he isn't likely to climb back into the top 4 anytime real soon, but it does provide a platform to go for it when he gets more free opportunities at points later in the year (due to missing a big chunk of it through injury last year).

And it also means he's guaranteed to be seeded 3rd for Wimbledon despite his lower world ranking, on account of the grasscourt formula they apply.

Gulbis was class last night, made Berdych look like 60th in the world instead of 6th. Wasted so many years of his early career not applying himself and it looks like he's finally putting 100% in, he could seriously worry the top 5 if he carry s on.

A perfect example of a player who hasn't impressed on the tour but undoubtedly always had the ability, Kingfox, this is the same principle as the one applied to Dan Evans when we say he can make serious in roads in the top 100.  

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Gulbis was class last night, made Berdych look like 60th in the world instead of 6th. Wasted so many years of his early career not applying himself and it looks like he's finally putting 100% in, he could seriously worry the top 5 if he carry s on.

A perfect example of a player who hasn't impressed on the tour but undoubtedly always had the ability, Kingfox, this is the same principle as the one applied to Dan Evans when we say he can make serious in roads in the top 100.  

Agreed. He's certainly got the talent (and people have been saying this for years) but lacked the application, because there were other things to life for him than tennis because of his wealthy background.

If he can fully apply himself to the game from here on out could definitely see him becoming a fixture in the top 10.

What?

Gulbis has always been a fantastic talent, but a few years ago he didn't seem to love playing the game. He can either be brilliant or absolute rubbish, but recently well this season especially, he has been playing consistently well. 

And when you say he hasn't impressed, he has in glimpses over the years, but now he seems to have knuckled down and has brought consistency into his game.

TBH as well, I can actually see him beating Novak.

What?

Gulbis has always been a fantastic talent, but a few years ago he didn't seem to love playing the game. He can either be brilliant or absolute rubbish, but recently well this season especially, he has been playing consistently well. 

And when you say he hasn't impressed, he has in glimpses over the years, but now he seems to have knuckled down and has brought consistency into his game.

TBH as well, I can actually see him beating Novak.

Think the point I am making is quite clear. 

Doubt he will be Djokovic yet, but he certainly could do in the not to distant future. 

Not really seen too much of Monfis. 

Should it go the distance I wouldn't fancy Murray. I don't think he has the greatest record when matches go the distance. 

......He's got a very good 5 set record I think. I'll check though

......He's got a very good 5 set record I think. I'll check though

Hence why I said 'I think' lol

15 won 6 lost. Meh.

Still wouldn't back him for a 5 set victory. 

3-1 Murray or 3-2 to Monfis for me.

Edited by Maybes

Hence why I said 'I think' lol

15 won 6 lost. Meh.

Still wouldn't back him for a 5 set victory. 

3-1 Murray or 3-2 to Monfis for me.

Ha lol, I couldn't find that info anywhere, he won one on Sunday as well dunno if that one was included?

I can see him beating Monfis 3-0 or 3-1 tbh he's really not that good. Murray has had an inconsistent year though so who knows.

Ha lol, I couldn't find that info anywhere, he won one on Sunday as well dunno if that one was included?

I can see him beating Monfis 3-0 or 3-1 tbh he's really not that good. Murray has had an inconsistent year though so who knows.

Ended up putting most of my eggs on 3-1 Murray @ 3/1 

Small amounts on 3-2 to both players as cover.

He should win but like you say he has been inconsistent.

Ended up putting most of my eggs on 3-1 Murray @ 3/1 

Small amounts on 3-2 to both players as cover.

He should win but like you say he has been inconsistent.

Decent bet. The 3-0 is the obvious pitfall, and the fact you'll have to wait till tomorrow as it's pissing it down in Paris

Pissing raining everywhere.

Two women's matches first as well.

Only way Monfils is beating Murray is on clay, both performed well in the last round, after long matches in the previous one. 

Hard to call, I would say 4 sets, but not calling a winner.

Guest MattP

Murray like he did at the US Open final, showed his strength and great match play to cruise the 5th

To be fair I think we would have beat Monfils playing like that, you can see why the French are crap at wars, zero fight about them.

Still can't see anything other than Rafa V Novak in the final though.

Also my Queens club tickets came today for next week, got the Saturday session so a good day out before the football. Would rather be in Halle mind, Federer v Nadal looking possible on grass. :nigel:

To be fair I think we would have beat Monfils playing like that, you can see why the French are crap at wars, zero fight about them.

Still can't see anything other than Rafa V Novak in the final though.

Also my Queens club tickets came today for next week, got the Saturday session so a good day out before the football. Would rather be in Halle mind, Federer v Nadal looking possible on grass. :nigel:

True indeed lol but Murray showed why he usually prevails in such matches, his form never drops... if anything he gets more solid and almost completely cuts out the errors. Nadal - Djokovic must be almost a certainty though, but Murray will be delighted to make the Semi's for the first time at the French, it will help his ranking which took a hit during the injury...

In Rome Murray played brilliantly against Nadal, he won't have the pressure and if nadal's form does drop a bit he could cause an upset

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Guest MattP

Wasn't meant to knock Murray, he did the business, I was amazed they played on to be honest, looked very dark.

He's bounced back well, it would be great to see him do the French as surely his motivation would then be sky high to win the Aussie and do the slam.

True indeed lol but Murray showed why he usually prevails in such matches, his form never drops... if anything he gets more solid and almost completely cuts out the errors. Nadal - Djokovic must be almost a certainty though, but Murray will be delighted to make the Semi's for the first time at the French, it will help his ranking which took a hit during the injury...

In Rome Murray played brilliantly against Nadal, he won't have the pressure and if nadal's form does drop a bit he could cause an upset

Second French Open semi final. Made it in 2011 too.