Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Murray doing his usual even-numbered-year thing of flattering to deceive at Queens pretty horribly. Thankfully it doesn't tend to be very indicative of his subsequent form at Wimbledon, and if the pattern persists he'll win it again next year. To be fair, if you blow eight set points in the first set TB you probably don't deserve to win the match.

Edited by leicsmac

Murray doing his usual even-numbered-year thing of flattering to deceive at Queens pretty horribly. Thankfully it doesn't tend to be very indicative of his subsequent form at Wimbledon, and if the pattern persists he'll win it again next year. To be fair, if you blow eight set points in the first set TB you probably don't deserve to win the match.

Murray seems to have turned into a grand slam only player, during his run of Wimbledon final, Olympic gold, US Winner, AO Final, RG QF, Wimbledon Winner in the other tournaments he had some terrible results... While the year before all that he was performing a lot better in the masters and ATP 250, 500 events.

Murray seems to have turned into a grand slam only player, during his run of Wimbledon final, Olympic gold, US Winner, AO Final, RG QF, Wimbledon Winner in the other tournaments he had some terrible results... While the year before all that he was performing a lot better in the masters and ATP 250, 500 events.

Murray isn't a any kind of player at the minute. He's made one semi final since he won Wimbledon. 

Murray isn't a any kind of player at the minute. He's made one semi final since he won Wimbledon.

Well he has been injured, and clay isn't his best surface yet that is the one championship he made it to the semis in... The Aussie open came too early after coming back from injury, don't write him off just because he is struggling for form after back injury and change if coach

Well he has been injured, and clay isn't his best surface yet that is the one championship he made it to the semis in... The Aussie open came too early after coming back from injury, don't write him off just because he is struggling for form after back injury and change if coach

Pabs always writes off Murray. That's what he does.  :P

He's had a massive lack of consistency since he came back from his injury but it's now approaching the time of year (Wimby and the US/Asian hardcourt swing) where he traditionally does best. If it gets to the end of the year and he's a few thousand points adrift of the top 4, then I'll worry. As it is, he's barely 100 points off 4th with a load of free points to come later in the year. 

I'll admit that when he won Wimby last year I thought 2014 would be about making a dedicated push for the world no.1 spot, but the injury put paid to that idea. Perhaps he can have a better tilt at it next year, but the clay thing will always be something of a millstone around his neck as far as that is concerned.

But first order of business - defending the Wimbledon title. Will be seeded no.3, and I think it's going to be a pretty open tournament - no one really stands out as a favourite.

Watching the repeat of the Wimbledon final last year, making me excited for the couple of weeks ahead. It will be good watching a Brit who can genuinely win rather than the rubbish the England football team put on at the World Cup.

I'm watching it as well and I'm still getting nervous despite knowing what happens.

Yes, this starts today!

Tons of British players playing today, mainly men.

If one manages to make it through to the 2nd round with Andy Murray we've done alright lol

I'm surprised MP, I thought you'd be tipping Goffin to make the upset. :P 

I'll be honest, if he catches Murray cold he's got the weapons to give an almighty scare at the least.

As for the tourney as a whole, Murray has an incredibly kind draw - only Dimitrov and Anderson in his quarter really pose a threat at all and the rest are mostly claycourters. Fognini won't be a hassle off his favoured clay. Also in Ferrer he has the ideal QF opponent - beaten him at Wimbledon before and it's perfectly possible he could fall before the quarters anyway. With the home support I'd certainly expect him to reach the semifinal, though after that all bets are pretty much off.

Djokovics draw is nasty in places - Tsonga, Youzhny, Cilic, Gulbis, Querrey et al all there to cause some trouble. That being said Novak has a habit of making it through the tough draws like this regardless, so I'd think he'll be the one fetching up against Murray in the top half SF.

Fed's quarter is interesting in the sense that it has players capable of wrecking-ball stuff on their day (Isner, Robredo, Mahut etc) but also totally capable of falling apart. You'd probably think it would be between him and Wawrinka in the QF as the seeding suggests but given what happened last year I'm making no assumptions there. I'll stick my neck out and say one of them won't make it to the QF - which one, I don't know.

Bottom section has Nadal up against a bunch of players with proven grasscourt pedigree - Raonic, Kohlschreiber and Gasquet amongst them. There's also the prospect of a very tasty 2nd round matchup against his old friend Lukas Rosol to possibly look forward to too. I actually think this is the most unpredictable quarter in terms of who is going to be showing in the semifinal - lots of players who on their day can beat Nadal and each other on grass.

Should be a tremendous couple of weeks! My tip for overall...head says Djoko beating Fed in the final, heart says Murray overcoming Fed in a thriller.

Well 

I'm surprised MP, I thought you'd be tipping Goffin to make the upset. :P

I'll be honest, if he catches Murray cold he's got the weapons to give an almighty scare at the least.

As for the tourney as a whole, Murray has an incredibly kind draw - only Dimitrov and Anderson in his quarter really pose a threat at all and the rest are mostly claycourters. Fognini won't be a hassle off his favoured clay. Also in Ferrer he has the ideal QF opponent - beaten him at Wimbledon before and it's perfectly possible he could fall before the quarters anyway. With the home support I'd certainly expect him to reach the semifinal, though after that all bets are pretty much off.

Djokovics draw is nasty in places - Tsonga, Youzhny, Cilic, Gulbis, Querrey et al all there to cause some trouble. That being said Novak has a habit of making it through the tough draws like this regardless, so I'd think he'll be the one fetching up against Murray in the top half SF.

Fed's quarter is interesting in the sense that it has players capable of wrecking-ball stuff on their day (Isner, Robredo, Mahut etc) but also totally capable of falling apart. You'd probably think it would be between him and Wawrinka in the QF as the seeding suggests but given what happened last year I'm making no assumptions there. I'll stick my neck out and say one of them won't make it to the QF - which one, I don't know.

Bottom section has Nadal up against a bunch of players with proven grasscourt pedigree - Raonic, Kohlschreiber and Gasquet amongst them. There's also the prospect of a very tasty 2nd round matchup against his old friend Lukas Rosol to possibly look forward to too. I actually think this is the most unpredictable quarter in terms of who is going to be showing in the semifinal - lots of players who on their day can beat Nadal and each other on grass.

Should be a tremendous couple of weeks! My tip for overall...head says Djoko beating Fed in the final, heart says Murray overcoming Fed in a thriller.

lol no I think Murray will be alright at Wimbledon and will get where his seeding suggests he should before Djokovic takes him apart, he likes grass, home crowd, can't see him going before the quarters at least and even that would be a little bit disappointing . The Hard Court North American season wont go great for him capping an underwhelming year.

British players in general toss as always Youzny has battered Ward, Kontra is gone, Cox next out the door, maybe Evans can do something because I can't see Edmond getting through either.  

Well 

lol no I think Murray will be alright at Wimbledon and will get where his seeding suggests he should before Djokovic takes him apart, he likes grass, home crowd, can't see him going before the quarters at least and even that would be a little bit disappointing . The Hard Court North American season wont go great for him capping an underwhelming year.

British players in general toss as always Youzny has battered Ward, Kontra is gone, Cox next out the door, maybe Evans can do something because I can't see Edmond getting through either.  

Glass half full stuff here but Djokovic has overall played 5 sets against Murray on Centre Court and lost the lot - what makes you think he's going to win three so conclusively now? I'd make him favourite, but only marginally. As for the the rest of the season, I said at the start of the season his inconsistency means he could come from nowhere to win a tournament or two and I stand by that. And there is four Masters tournaments that he has been traditionally strong at, plus the US Open and the London ATP Finals - all ripe for picking up more points. That's a lot of freebies.

Totally agree with you about the other British players though. Murray to stand alone once again pretty soon.

What a bellend. I had money on him winning in straight sets.

I wouldn't be going near Rafa at Wimbledon after the last two years. Clearly struggling on grass a little as injuries take their toll.

I wouldn't be going near Rafa at Wimbledon after the last two years. Clearly struggling on grass a little as injuries take their toll.

In fairness it was a quid on about 10 games. Would have been a nice little earner but I won't lose sleep over it. :D

Glass half full stuff here but Djokovic has overall played 5 sets against Murray on Centre Court and lost the lot - what makes you think he's going to win three so conclusively now? I'd make him favourite, but only marginally. As for the the rest of the season, I said at the start of the season his inconsistency means he could come from nowhere to win a tournament or two and I stand by that. And there is four Masters tournaments that he has been traditionally strong at, plus the US Open and the London ATP Finals - all ripe for picking up more points. That's a lot of freebies.

Totally agree with you about the other British players though. Murray to stand alone once again pretty soon.

Please see form since winning Wimbledon. 

Irrelevant...he's not played Djokovic on grass in that time. And remarkable player though he is, Djokovic hasn't won a Slam since then either. 

Edit: Just to elaborate, I know it sounds like I'm arguing for the sake of it here, but I honestly believe that grass is so different that it plays to Murrays strengths and Djokovics advantages against him are vastly reduced on it. For that reason alone (as well as the support, home GS etc) I really don't think you can draw many conclusions about a potential Murray-Djokovic SF matchup from Murrays form up until now.

Edited by leicsmac

Since coming back from surgery you mean, not been great but not bad either, quarter final at us open with a back injury... at Aussie open despite not playing any real tennis for many months he got the the quarters... and semi final at the French which is his worst surface....

Grass is Murrays favoured surface and he is starting to get that confidence back into his game after the injury, negotiated a tricky opponent yesterday in style. Djokovic, hasn't won a slam for a while, and Murray does have the better game on grass IMO