Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Yup, that was the idea. :P Wawrinka beat him in the USO 2010 and 2012: he has been a consistent pain in Murrays rear end all his career, it's only recently he's become it to most of the other top players too. But the phrasing of my question is pretty exact. :ph34r:

It does however speak a few volumes about how tough Murray is to beat in Slams as opposed to the best-of-3 events. I can't remember the last time he was genuinely outplayed and beaten by someone who wasn't Fed, Nadal, Nole or Stan off-clay in a Slam. Against Cilic in the USO 2009 he had a wrist injury that put him out for the rest of the season, and against Verdasco in the Aus Open '09 he was so sick he had to stay in Aus for a week afterwards before flying out.

Probably Roddick at Wimby 2009 was the last time he was genuinely outclassed on a favoured surface against someone not a multiple Slam-winner or his bogey player.

Verdasco was the first one that sprung to mind when you asked the question, took me a couple of minutes to realise when that was.

Like you saying your going right back to Roddick, and defeats right back when he was a skinny little wimp who could barely last 3 sets to find a time he got outclassed.

Verdasco was the first one that sprung to mind when you asked the question, took me a couple of minutes to realise when that was.

Like you saying your going right back to Roddick, and defeats right back when he was a skinny little wimp who could barely last 3 sets to find a time he got outclassed.

Haha yep.

I remember when he first took part in Queens and Wimby in 2005 thinking, "Alright, he's won the US Open juniors, but what can he really do. Hang on - he's just taken out Stepanek (when he was world no.14) in straights. Holy shit, he's bossing Nalbandian- oh, nope, he's collapsing on the court...shit."

Say what you like about the guy but even right from the start there were ups and downs.

He should boss that lanky tw@t Anderson today, normally has little problem with players of his ilcke on any surface.

You'd have thought so. Anderson, Raonic and the other all-serve-no-verve boys are meat and drink to him when he gets a read on their serves (which normally doesn't take long). Raonic has actually given him trouble in a few 3 set matches but it's telling that in the one Slam match they played Murray squashed him.

Can see Anderson winning a TB and it going to four though.

Edited by leicsmac

Becauise he's got a bullet of a serve but his all round game isn't particularly great and as such he finds breaking difficult.

I think you're being rather kind there.

Isner has about as much success at breaking anyones serve as I would have trying to convince Kelly Brook and Christina Hendricks to have a threesome.

Choice between Nadal going out and the idiotic Aussie media bigging up Kyrgios for the next five years even if he doesn't do anything else...

Tough call.

It is really, I would say Rafa going out but given that every single player he's played has given him trouble I can't see him getting to the final regardless so for that reason I'm hoping he gets through.

Excellent win for Kyrgios.

Mind you, Rosol and Darcis both did the same thing and neither has done much of note since so I'm reserving judgement. You can tell from his attitude that the potential is there, though.

He's done this deeper into the tournament though, and as back up to beating Gasquet. He's only a kid, whereas the others have a few years on him where they'd done nothing of note.

He's done this deeper into the tournament though, and as back up to beating Gasquet. He's only a kid, whereas the others have a few years on him where they'd done nothing of note.

Think i heard no player outside the top 100 has beaten the world number 1 for 21 years.

Would be nice to see him back it up again tonight but Raonic will be a big ask.

. He's only a kid, whereas the others have a few years on him where they'd done nothing of note.

Some were predicting he'd give Nadal a tough game (not win though)

Guess the only danger now for him is that people will expect instant success having beaten Nadal.

QF's day has arrived. It's the business end. Most of the leading lights (sans Nadal of course) still present.

Can't see Cilic holding up Djokovic for long, has a good serve and allround grasscourt game but Djokovic is simply better at almost everything Cilic can do. Can see him nicking one set on a TB but that's about it. Djoko in straights.

Dimitrov is the wunderkind right now, but he's taking on the home favourite, in conditions that are perhaps the most optimal they can be for him, in a place where he's not lost a singles match to anyone not called Federer or Nadal for five years. I can see there being some fantastic points played out between these two due to their courtcraft, but I think after staying with Murray for a while he'll tail off and Murrays experience in this environment will come through. Murray in 4.

Federer-Wawrinka might be interesting - obviously Fed is favourite but Stan has had a tremendous year and no longer seems in awe of his countryman. If he turns up with the backhand firing we could be in for a classic...and I'm tipping that to happen. Wawrinka in a 5-set thriller.

Krygios achieved something mighty yesterday in taking out Nadal, but in Raonic he's facing a player very much in the style of himself with greater experience. Expect many tiebreaks in this one, and difficult to call, but I think Raonic will see it through in 4 really tight sets.