Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Its a bit of a sad reality but Murray is little more than a flat-track bully. Good at making the no-marks look shite but gets a pasting whenever he comes up against anyone half-decent.

I would go more with:

Murray is an extremely talented tennis player, who can easily dispatch anyone outside the big three, but usually gets outclassed by that big three. That being said those three are three of the greatest of all time, and he has at times stood toe to toe with them.

To call Djokovic, Nadal and Federer just half decent is an insult to be frank. I think it's been the thinking for a while that when everyone is fit and playing well those three are in a league of their own, with Murray a bit behind and the rest trailing a long way off.

Its a bit of a sad reality but Murray is little more than a flat-track bully. Good at making the no-marks look shite but gets a pasting whenever he comes up against anyone half-decent.

Two Grand Slam titles, both won by outclassing Djokovic in finals says different. 

I would go more with:

Murray is an extremely talented tennis player, who can easily dispatch anyone outside the big three, but usually gets outclassed by that big three. That being said those three are three of the greatest of all time, and he has at times stood toe to toe with them.

To call Djokovic, Nadal and Federer just half decent is an insult to be frank. I think it's been the thinking for a while that when everyone is fit and playing well those three are in a league of their own, with Murray a bit behind and the rest trailing a long way off.

Spot on. Murray had closed the gap to the other three to a very minimal degree when he won the Olympic title. It's no disgrace to be narrowly behind three of the greatest players ever to play the game and beat them once in a while too.

Incidentally, as was said earlier Nadal hasn't beaten Djokovic in Aus at all and Federer last beat him there in 2010, so it's not like they have done much better against him here either. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Murray brothers partnering up for the Davis Cup match vs USA then. Reasonable pick given that Jamie Murray has already won one doubles title and reached the final of another tournament this year.

Andy should win both his matches with a partisan crowd backing him so it'll be up to either Ward or the Murray brothers to spring a shock in any one of the other matches to beat the Americans again. Certainly possible.

Murray representing Great Britain is a bit vile to be honest given he voted to break it up last year.

Or perhaps he voted via the campaigns at the time then realised the mistake afterwards and represents GB with no hard feelings, especially given the amount of flak he got for it? 

Twice he's stuck out his head politically and tried to state a view (and the first one was a joke), twice he's gotten shot between the eyes by people who know little of his motivations but think they do.

In any case, sport and politics mixing is always a recipe for trouble.

As I've said before the shirt thing was a joke. No issue there.

Backing the 'Yes' campaign and the SNP though is pretty serious political opinion, he's now representing a country and flag he openly wanted destroyed.

It's uncomfortable.

As I've said before the shirt thing was a joke. No issue there.

Backing the 'Yes' campaign and the SNP though is pretty serious political opinion, he's now representing a country and flag he openly wanted destroyed.

It's uncomfortable.

Again, isn't it just possible that he voted that way because of the campaign and then thought otherwise afterwards? It's possible for such views to shift, after all.

And also if he felt that strongly about it surely he'd remove himself from playing Davis Cup and representing GB totally? It's not like it's a competition GB are ever going to win and given how polarised people are towards him anyway playing in it is not likely to win him any new friends, so why get involved in the first place, especially if he felt that it was representing a country that he thought shouldn't exist? 

He's there because he wants to be there for the team and help bring the younger players through, not for any personal gain. I don't see how he has anything to gain from playing in it at a personal level. 

Possible, he should clarify his position to be honest.

I have no idea why he's playing in it to be honest, are they forced too? I'd have banned him personally, similar to what we did with the rebel tour cricketers.

Possible, he should clarify his position to be honest.

I have no idea why he's playing in it to be honest, are they forced too? I'd have banned him personally, similar to what we did with the rebel tour cricketers.

we'd be fooked then.

Banning someone because the voted Yes. :D

bottom line is scotland is still part of Britain so there absolutely no reason why we should (or could) ban him.

Edited by purpleronnie

No, no incentive to play barring a handful of ranking points he could easily get playing in a Nowhereville ATP 250 tournament elsewhere.

I think if you start banning players from representing their country for expressing a political view that doesn't involve horriffic atrocities (like the rebel cricketers rubbing shoulders with the apartheid regime for instance) you're crossing a pretty dangerous line.

Is it possible for him to represent Scotland?

Maybe he wants to but can't?

Basque and Catalan footballers play for Spain because they have to, I'm sure more than one or two would represent their "provinces" if they were independent?

Should everyone that voted Yes now be refused a chance to vote in the general election, hold a British passport, etc?

It's not like they staged an open rebellion, they just exercised their democratic right to state a preference for Scotland being independent. It's possible to hold that view but also be content with remaining in the UK.

Not every yes voter would have been a mouth breathing anglophobe.

Like I said, it doesn't mean he hates the UK, it just means he had a preference for Scotland being independent.

If I thought Wales could be an economically viable independent state, I'd happily move back there and vote in an era of left wing liberalism that'd likely last my lifetime.

Doesn't mean I hate the UK.

Look at Phil Bennett, he of the famous "look what these bastards have done to us" pre England game team talk. Captain of the 1977 British lions.

• 2 weeks later...

John Isner has got to be the shittest all round player to ever grace the top ten lol

He is just serve, once you can return it or it is a bit off then he is easily beaten... A lot of his matches go to a few tie breaks because he is unable to really break serve himself

Edited by foxes_rule1978

He is just serve, once you can return it or it is a bit off then he is easily beaten... A lot of his matches go to a few tie breaks because he is unable to really break serve himself

Yep this is what I mean. When the ball is actually in the court he's being knocked all over the court by the world 111, who to his credit is playing very well.

Yep this is what I mean. When the ball is actually in the court he's being knocked all over the court by the world 111, who to his credit is playing very well.

Indeed, Ward has still had to be solid and not make errors... he is playing above his level, which he seems to do during Davis Cup