Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

The US crowds usually love Murray, idk tbh. Like I say, Grand Slam crowds are a disgrace most of the time anyway.

True enough. The idolatrous glory supporting BS that happens around Fed whenever a Slam rolls into town (wherever it may be) gets on the nerves though, especially when as last night they weren't giving the better player credit.

And again, I say this as no fan of Djoko.

True enough. The idolatrous glory supporting BS that happens around Fed whenever a Slam rolls into town (wherever it may be) gets on the nerves though, especially when as last night they weren't giving the better player credit.

And again, I say this as no fan of Djoko.

Meh, Feds a top bloke and a absloute Tennis Legend, I wouldn't call it glory supporting, he was the underdog for one (another thing that is going to boast popularity). I want him to win against most people tbf.

Agreed Djokovic probably doesn't deserve to be jeered though lol

Davis cup tie this week! Think we've got to be viewed as faviourates even our second player stands a chance of taking a rubber. I for one seriously hope Ward is stuck with over Edmund for the entririty of this tournament at least, think the selectors need to remember we'd be out if it weren't for some of his exploits.

Meh, Feds a top bloke and a absloute Tennis Legend, I wouldn't call it glory supporting, he was the underdog for one (another thing that is going to boast popularity). I want him to win against most people tbf.

Agreed Djokovic probably doesn't deserve to be jeered though lol

Davis cup tie this week! Think we've got to be viewed as faviourates even our second player stands a chance of taking a rubber. I for one seriously hope Ward is stuck with over Edmund for the entririty of this tournament at least, think the selectors need to remember we'd be out if it weren't for some of his exploits.

You know that and I know that, Pabs...but most of Fed's fans never believe he's the underdog against anyone. Not ever (well, apart from Nadal on clay when he was any good). They're so used to him winning that they think he's still the favourite each and every time - a key part of the sycophancy I was referring to.

Anyway, onto Davis Cup and yes, we should really be favourites for this one - Andy is practically guaranteed to win his two singles matches so just one more win needed. I would pick Ward too - it's possible he and Murray could put GB 2-0 on Friday which would take the pressure off everyone else and give Inglot a chance to partner Jamie in the dubs, rather than Andy having to pull a three-day shift again. To be honest even if it's 1-1 at doubles time I'd still give him a break.

You know that and I know that, Pabs...but most of Fed's fans never believe he's the underdog against anyone. Not ever (well, apart from Nadal on clay when he was any good). They're so used to him winning that they think he's still the favourite each and every time - a key part of the sycophancy I was referring to.

Anyway, onto Davis Cup and yes, we should really be favourites for this one - Andy is practically guaranteed to win his two singles matches so just one more win needed. I would pick Ward too - it's possible he and Murray could put GB 2-0 on Friday which would take the pressure off everyone else and give Inglot a chance to partner Jamie in the dubs, rather than Andy having to pull a three-day shift again. To be honest even if it's 1-1 at doubles time I'd still give him a break.

What's going on with their squad, is Tomic still banned and what's happening with Naughty Nick

What's going on with their squad, is Tomic still banned and what's happening with Naughty Nick

Tomic has made the squad along with Kokkinakis and Hewitt and Groth for the doubles.

We've gone with Inglot and Murray Snr for the double and Murray Jnr and strangely Dan Evans for the singles. I know we've acknowledged he could be a decent player, but he's hit the self destruct button again recently. That said Ward is on an awful run of form and Edmund is injured. 

Not convinced with Evans' inclusion in the Davis Cup team, hopefully it won't matter.

It's a tough one. There are 5 players ranked higher than Evans, not including Murray who's a shoe in and Bedene who we can't pick. Ward is on 10 match losing streak and Edmund has an injury, and the rest are inexperienced in the Davis Cup to be bringing them in at this stage. Hopefully it won't need Evans to win a match to get through.

What Facecloth said, though I can add that Naughty Nick is spending some time in the naughty corner as advised by Tennis Australia, so he'll not be competing for a while. They've managed to reconcile their differences with Tomic, though.

Evans is a high risk choice, though the order can be changed right up to the last minute if Leon Smith decides he wants to bring someone else in (like sticking both the Murray brothers in for the dubs, for instance). To be honest I'd rate Evans' chance of beating either Kokkinakis or Tomic about the same as Wards given current form so I guess Smith thought similar and decided to take the chance. 

I am really hoping that we are indeed 2-0 up by the time Saturday rolls round to take the pressure off Andy somewhat, but it's 1-1 Smith may feel that he needs Andy there again, which I don't really like the idea of. Anyone who saw the last tie saw what three matches like that did to him, even though it did pay off. 

What Facecloth said, though I can add that Naughty Nick is spending some time in the naughty corner as advised by Tennis Australia, so he'll not be competing for a while. They've managed to reconcile their differences with Tomic, though.

Evans is a high risk choice, though the order can be changed right up to the last minute if Leon Smith decides he wants to bring someone else in (like sticking both the Murray brothers in for the dubs, for instance). To be honest I'd rate Evans' chance of beating either Kokkinakis or Tomic about the same as Wards given current form so I guess Smith thought similar and decided to take the chance. 

I am really hoping that we are indeed 2-0 up by the time Saturday rolls round to take the pressure off Andy somewhat, but it's 1-1 Smith may feel that he needs Andy there again, which I don't really like the idea of. Anyone who saw the last tie saw what three matches like that did to him, even though it did pay off. 

He's fresh enough at the minute to do three, to be honest his singles matches should much more straight forward than previos rounds as well, only Tomic carries any threat.

Losing streak or no Losing streak I think it's a disgrace Ward isn't involved myself, but there we are.

It's really down to whether Andy can win every match he plays AGAIN!

Why would anyone think any different.

It actually makes the Davis Cup a bit of a laugh doesn't it?

Still, come on GB.

Because if it was just down to Andy winning every match he played we'd be out now.

As we would if he lost his last one , or the one before, or the one before.

GB tennis is very very poor. We are a 3rd rate tennis nation and yet we are ahead in the Davis Cup semi-final. 

If you think we are one of the top 10 nations let alone top four then I think you see the tennis world very differently to me.

I don't really think you need to come on here ranting about the failure of the British tennis system Fif, pretty sure you're preaching to the converted.

The format of the Davis Cup lends itself to having either three or four good standard or at least one very strong (top 5) singles players who doesn't lose against lesser opposition the vast majority of the time (that pretty much rules out anyone bar the big 4) AND a good doubles partnership. If just the former were enough to win it, Switzerland and Serbia would be walking away with the title each year.

Edited by leicsmac

As we would if he lost his last one , or the one before, or the one before.

GB tennis is very very poor. We are a 3rd rate tennis nation and yet we are ahead in the Davis Cup semi-final. 

If you think we are one of the top 10 nations let alone top four then I think you see the tennis world very differently to me.

Don't see your point, I didn't dispute any of that your making arguements up, I merely stated it is not simply down to Andy Murray winning all his games. And we actually have a decent doubles pairing to go with the third best player in the world which doesn't make a bad team given you have to win three rubbers. I think we are top 10 quite easily when you match us up against individual nations, top four if everyone turns up no chance but lets remember we've just beat a full strength France as we've got one player better than all of theirs and a better doubles pairing.

The point being made was we'd of easily lost the USA had Ward not beat Isner, I take it you have herd of Bob and Mike Bryan.  

Don't see your point, I didn't dispute any of that your making arguements up, I merely stated it is not simply down to Andy Murray winning all his games. And we actually have a decent doubles pairing to go with the third best player in the world which doesn't make a bad team given you have to win three rubbers. I think we are top 10 quite easily when you match us up against individual nations, top four if everyone turns up no chance but lets remember we've just beat a full strength France as we've got one player better than all of theirs and a better doubles pairing.

The point being made was we'd of easily lost the USA had Ward not beat Isner, I take it you have herd of Bob and Mike Bryan.  

We beat France because Of Andy and only because of Andy. France are so far ahead of GB in Tennis terms it really was a scandal both at the top (probably 7 or 8 in the top 40) and all the way through. I'm pretty sure the average tennis standard of a 10 year old in France is streets ahead of the GB too.

The Davis Cup is a sad joke and shouldn't be considered as a world event - That's the point I'm making.

I don't really think you need to come on here ranting about the failure of the British tennis system Fif, pretty sure you're preaching to the converted.

The format of the Davis Cup lends itself to having either three or four good standard or at least one very strong (top 5) singles players who doesn't lose against lesser opposition the vast majority of the time (that pretty much rules out anyone bar the big 4) AND a good doubles partnership. If just the former were enough to win it, Switzerland and Serbia would be walking away with the title each year.

I'm not ranting about GB tennis, I'm ranting about the overhyping of the Davis Cup.

We beat France because Of Andy and only because of Andy. France are so far ahead of GB in Tennis terms it really was a scandal both at the top (probably 7 or 8 in the top 40) and all the way through. I'm pretty sure the average tennis standard of a 10 year old in France is streets ahead of the GB too.

The Davis Cup is a sad joke and shouldn't be considered as a world event - That's the point I'm making.

I'm not ranting about GB tennis, I'm ranting about the overhyping of the Davis Cup.

The leading players all still want to win it at least once, regardless of tennis not really lending itself well to team events. Make of that what you will.

Totally disagree Jamie Murray was the better player in the doubles, and is a much better doubles player in general than his brother.

You can use the "take Andy out" arguement if you want but I don't really see why we should, if you've got the third best player in the world use him to full effect.

The overall Standard in France (as it is in the USA and Italy) is much better but unless you want 1000's of tennis players lineing up in battle lines I once again fail to see your point, this is about top level sport, we've produced a top level singles player and handful of very good doubles player as well as a distincitly average professional who has somehow raised his game on numerous occasions to get us as far as we have. We are well worth being where we are.  

The leading players all still want to win it at least once, regardless of tennis not really lending itself well to team events. Make of that what you will.

I'm sure they do. That shouldn't make it a world event.

It used to be important, it's now a bit of a

The world's top scrabble players all want to win the team world championship but we don't have it on the TV and adored quite so much do we?

Totally disagree Jamie Murray was the better player in the doubles, and is a much better doubles player in general than his brother.

You can use the "take Andy out" arguement if you want but I don't really see why we should, if you've got the third best player in the world use him to full effect.

The overall Standard in France (as it is in the USA and Italy) is much better but unless you want 1000's of tennis players lineing up in battle lines I once again fail to see your point, this is about top level sport, we've produced a top level singles player and handful of very good doubles player as well as a distincitly average professional who has somehow raised his game on numerous occasions to get us as far as we have. We are well worth being where we are.  

But without Andy GB would have lost.

We are where we are and I'm cheering GB on.

Again you missed my point.

The Davis Cup has become a joke. A mockery of tennis.

anyway I don't want to ruin the thread.

Let's go Daniel.