Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Guest DavidJCW
Least we forget Murrays head to head record against Federer is the second best of all time, 6 wins, 4 defeats. 60% win.

Nadal just edges Murray with 13 wins, 7 defeats. 65% win.

And i rekon their the only 2 players to have won more against Federer than lost, not sure on that though.

And Murrays just knocked out Nadal!

But when it comes to Grand Slams?

Federer always ups his games for the Slams and the last time they played, Murray got destroyed.

What's more is that Federer is playing his best stuff in this tournament so Murray getting close would be an achievement... but hopefully Cilic will beat him in the semi's so it'll be irrelevant. :D

DavidJCW another Murray hater. Should form an alliance with FilboFox.

Love the excuses about Nadal being injured BEFORE the match :D Murray did what he had to, his cross court backhand was dominant and he served huge at critical moments.

In the post match interview Nadal claimed that was the highest quality of tennis that he himself had produced for some time so go figure. Not saying it will be enough to win the tournament, far from it, but lets give Murray some credit for a very decent performance.

Its just jealousy because he's scottish, if he was english they would be creaming in their pants.

I don't really care what the result is though, if murray loses I win my bet ,if murray gets to the final that would be great too.

Jealous? lol whatever.

Even if he was English I'd dislike him cos he's an arrogant twat.

Henman was the best thing about British tennis up until a couple of years ago and I didn't cream my pants over him.

Guest DavidJCW
DavidJCW another Murray hater. Should form an alliance with FilboFox.

Love the excuses about Nadal being injured BEFORE the match :D Murray did what he had to, his cross court backhand was dominant and he served huge at critical moments.

In the post match interview Nadal claimed that was the highest quality of tennis that he himself had produced for some time so go figure. Not saying it will be enough to win the tournament, far from it, but lets give Murray some credit for a very decent performance.

Nadal was clearly injured before the match, hence him taking Ibuprofen BEFORE the match started.

As for the performance, Murray did well, I said that, but it's not the outstanding tennis people are making it out to be.

And Nadal would say that... but everyone has seen him play a lot better than that and compared to recent performances which of late until the start of this tournament have been shockingly poor, it's not saying much.

But when it comes to Grand Slams?

Federer always ups his games for the Slams and the last time they played, Murray got destroyed.

What's more is that Federer is playing his best stuff in this tournament so Murray getting close would be an achievement... but hopefully Cilic will beat him in the semi's so it'll be irrelevant. :D

But we don't really know if Federer is playing his best stuff because he's had fairly easy matches so far, where as we know Murray has taken out Nadal :D

Lets see how Fed gets on against Davydenko who has beaten him twice recently, i rekon Davydenko will win at least 1 set, making Federer not look so invincible.

Yes Grand Slams is different, anyway Murray may lose to Cilic first, Fed may lose to Davydenko or Djokovic or Tsonga yet :giggle:

When i watched the tennis at Nottingham a couple of years ago watched Cilic knock up on a practice court, then he signed my oversized tennis ball, he is so tall it's unreal, although compared to Karlovic who he knocked up with for a bit he looks like a dwarf, so i do have a soft spot for Cilic. Still got that ball somewhere, his signature is the only one on it :P

Edited by maddog

Guest DavidJCW
Its just jealousy because he's scottish, if he was english they would be creaming in their pants.

I don't really care what the result is though, if murray loses I win my bet ,if murray gets to the final that would be great too.

lol

I didn't even care when he said he'd support anyone but England in the World Cup... he's Scottish so he would say that.

I just don't like him for his attitude on the court and the way he plays. It may be so some people's taste but I can't stand him. That's just the way it is.

He's a good player but I'll never cheer him on even if he is British/Scottish.

Guest DavidJCW
But we don't really know if Federer is playing his best stuff because he's had fairly easy matches so far, where as we know Murray has taken out Nadal :D

Lets see how Fed gets on against Davydenko who has beaten him twice recently, i rekon Davydenko will win at least 1 set, making Federer not look so invincible.

Yes Grand Slams is different, anyway Murray may lose to Cilic first, Fed may lose to Davydenko or Djokovic or Tsonga yet :giggle:

Fair point.

I'd forgotten Fed had to get past Davydenko who has come out of nowhere recently and become a really strong player! I guess I was just presuming Fed would get to the final! Hehe!

Davydenko hasn't come out of nowhere, he's been a staple inside the top 10 for years. It's just now he won a couple of bigger tournaments and started getting some coverage in the British press that suddenly he's deemed a big threat. He's always been a good player but prone to mental breakdowns (see 2 days ago v Verdasco, awful awful match).

Reckon Federer will prevail in 4, he looked imperious against Hewitt.

Davydenko hasn't come out of nowhere, he's been a staple inside the top 10 for years. It's just now he won a couple of bigger tournaments and started getting some coverage in the British press that suddenly he's deemed a big threat. He's always been a good player but prone to mental breakdowns (see 2 days ago v Verdasco, awful awful match).

Plus my mum says all tennis players are good looking and poor Davydenko looks like that :giggle:

That doesn't help his media coverage, infact he said he doesn't really get recognised in most places where he plays tournaments.

I'm sure after his ATP Tour finals win he will, think he's a genuinely nice guy too.

Fab news, Murray = legend.

I'm in a bit of a pickle now though, I bet Marin Cilic each way at the start.

Win-win situation then.

Haven't watched any of this, but I don't think Murray's dropped a set yet (?) Some going if true. I reckon he'll get beat in the final though.

People talk about his arrogance a lot, I don't see it personally. I've never seen him say anything arrogant in the press or anything, or act arrogant on court, seems to be a cop-out argument in my opinion.

Win-win situation then.

Haven't watched any of this, but I don't think Murray's dropped a set yet (?) Some going if true. I reckon he'll get beat in the final though.

Yea he's not dropped a set, and to be honest hasn't really looked like dropping one either.

People talk about his arrogance a lot, I don't see it personally. I've never seen him say anything arrogant in the press or anything, or act arrogant on court, seems to be a cop-out argument in my opinion.

Really? Not flexing his muscles that time at Wimbledon? That's a bit arrogant to me. His body language and the way he comes across is sometimes arrogant, the way he slouches when being spoke to, the tone of his voice etc.

Yea he's not dropped a set, and to be honest hasn't really looked like dropping one either.

Interesting.

Edited by Bert

The muscle thing was understandable, he'd been copping loads of stick for a perceived lack of fitness and then came back to win a 5 setter from 2 sets down. No different to Tevez brilliantly gesturing to the United bench imo.

To be fair to Murray, he seems a reasonable guy off the court judging by interviews and the like, it's his (self proclaimed) boring voice which still grates with many. Having said that though, I'm still not fond of his habit of screaming "COME ON" at opponents unforced errors.

And yeah, aside from the first set against John Isner, Murray never really looked in danger of losing a set.

Edited by martyn

Really? Not flexing his muscles that time at Wimbledon? That's a bit arrogant to me. His body language and the way he comes across is sometimes arrogant, the way he slouches when being spoke to, the tone of his voice etc.

None of that really sort of screams to me of someone being totally arrogant, maybe I just can't see the subtle signs lol. I think a lot of people get caught up in his perceived dour personality and his rich deep Scottish accent enhances that perception, but in my eyes it's all just a sign of complete focus on the job and he shows more passion and grit on the court than a Henman or Rusedski ever did.

I also respect the amount of effort Murray has put in to the complete failure that is British Davis Cup tennis, yes he's missed the odd match but only through injury, when he's played he's put in 100% effort for a lost cause. He's not playing the next match and I don't blame him one bit, it's a waste of his time.

Guest DavidJCW

You're just looking for an argument!

I was merely pointing out that yes, he has come out of nowhere as in previous years he's been in the top 10, granted, but he's never achieved anything of significant note and suddenly he's started to beat the top players.

Jealous? lol whatever.

Henman was the best thing about British tennis up until a couple of years ago and I didn't cream my pants over him.

No he wasn't he was a silver spooned bottler, the fact Murray is arrogant is one of the reasons I like him, most winners have that streak.

Your joking right? Henman disappointed every year. Murray is a class above and actually wins tournaments. :thumbup: