Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Murrays playing like a right twat here.

So frustrating to watch when he plays so defensive like this, it's almost like he thinks he's won already. So complacent. So passive.

He will end up losing again to Cilic if he's not careful.

What match are you watching?

I don't think he's playing defensive at all, he's doing what he has to do to win the points.

Every match he plays like this he wins them from the baseline, he knows he's not going to outhit Cilic but he knows he can win the long rallies because he has the class and the brain to take points away when he needs to.

When he has had to turn it up he has with some spectacular shots. I think he needed to pump himself up during the second and it's worked well for him.

What match are you watching?

I don't think he's playing defensive at all, he's doing what he has to do to win the points.

Every match he plays like this he wins them from the baseline, he knows he's not going to outhit Cilic but he knows he can win the long rallies because he has the class and the brain to take points away when he needs to.

When he has had to turn it up he has with some spectacular shots. I think he needed to pump himself up during the second and it's worked well for him.

Well i had just started watching when he hit 3 unforced errors and got broke straight after breaking Cilic, to make it 2-2 in 3rd set, thats probably why :giggle:

He's certainly not hitting as deep or as hard as he was against Nadal. It's far too risky playing defensive against players like Cilic because they will just attack Murray and could end up winning ala Verdasco last year in this and Cilic in the US Open.

Yes Murray got to world number 2 playing that defensive game and has done very well, but i don't know why he just doesn't blast Cilic off the court like he's capable of doing.

Edited by maddog

Well i had just started watching when he hit 3 unforced errors and got broke straight after breaking Cilic, to make it 2-2 in 3rd set, thats probably why :giggle:

He's certainly not hitting as deep or as hard as he was against Nadal. It's far too risky playing defensive against players like Cilic because they will just attack Murray and could end up winning ala Verdasco last year in this and Cilic in the US Open.

Yes Murray got to world number 2 playing that defensive game and has done very well, but i don't know why he just doesn't blast Cilic off the court like he's capable of doing.

lol

So you've summarised the match in four games?! Lovely! :D

He started off hitting far too shallow and Cilic was pouncing on that, but since the start of the second the majority of his shots have landed deeper and flatter. Makes it a lot harder for Cilic to attack when the ball is so low, due to how tall he is.

He's not capable of doing that though.

I'm just picking faults with Murray for no reason, and i don't really know why, he will probably be in another grand slam final in half an hour :D

Federer in the final most probably, Murray won't beat him over 5 sets unless he seriously attacks him.

I'm just picking faults with Murray for no reason, and i don't really know why, he will probably be in another grand slam final in half an hour :D

Federer in the final most probably, Murray won't beat him over 5 sets unless he seriously attacks him.

Murray wont beat him full stop if Fed plays like he has all week. Hopefully he'll have a dip in from against Tsonga.

Murray has played this match perfectly from the middle of the second set onwards. He's never going to blast Cilic off the court, Cilic thrives off flat balls which he can dominate by camping himself firmly on the baseline. It was when Murray started mixing his game up more and getting the ball deeper that Cilic's weapons started to break down. Since then its been a procession.

The final will be on Sunday won't it? If it's the same time as this i'll miss it. Which will be a bummer seeing as i've watched all his matches so far. <_<

You at home? Starts at 8 don't it? so you could catch some of it, hour or so, get some on the radio on the way there. Thats what I'm doing anyway.

Would say watch the end after your game but I think Federer will be finished with him by then lol.

Guest DavidJCW
Is this DavidJCW, AjcW?

He is really making me laugh when he says Murray was just hitting the ball back yet Murray won the first set with relative ease 6-3 and the second set to be fair went to a tie-break which he won comfortably, the third well Nadal could hardly walk so..

I really dont know where you are getting this rubbish from that Murray just hit the balls back, god if he is just hitting the ball back then I cant wait to see him actually start playing. :rolleyes:

Go back to giving your boring opinions out on womens tennis.

No I ain't AjcW... but anyway, if you were actually watching, you'd see that a lot of shots by Murray weren't that aggressive. All I'm saying is that I thought that Murray a lot of the time during the match was just playing rather safe with the shots and putting them back in to the court... now I'm sorry, you can't argue against this as he simply wasn't hitting them all over the place like Federer does virtually all of the time. You can get pissed all you like but it's not going to change my mind about it... I saw what I saw and although, yes, he hit some exceptional shots, he also played a lot of more conservative ones that Nadal should, and a lot of the time did, deal with. I'm only really arguing this as to be honest, from the way you lot on here and in the British press laud over him, you'd think he'd played some of the best tennis ever seen which was FAR from being the case!!!

Anyways, here's hoping Federer gets to the final and destroys Murray. :thumbup:

No I ain't AjcW... but anyway, if you were actually watching, you'd see that a lot of shots by Murray weren't that aggressive. All I'm saying is that I thought that Murray a lot of the time during the match was just playing rather safe with the shots and putting them back in to the court... now I'm sorry, you can't argue against this as he simply wasn't hitting them all over the place like Federer does virtually all of the time. You can get pissed all you like but it's not going to change my mind about it... I saw what I saw and although, yes, he hit some exceptional shots, he also played a lot of more conservative ones that Nadal should, and a lot of the time did, deal with. I'm only really arguing this as to be honest, from the way you lot on here and in the British press laud over him, you'd think he'd played some of the best tennis ever seen which was FAR from being the case!!!

Anyways, here's hoping Federer gets to the final and destroys Murray. :thumbup:

Always love statements of the "if you were actually watching" type, it's a great tool to establish a moral high ground right from the beginning.

Murray's game involves getting a lot of balls back into play and making the opponent play one more shot however, if this were a single trait then Lleyton Hewitt would still be top 10 and Florian Mayer would be challenging in grandslams. All you've done here is to confirm that Murray got lots of balls in play yet upped the pace exactly when required against a 6 time GS champion and World Number 2 to be comfortably in control of the match. He's not going to consistently win matches by trying to trade blows from the baseline with somebody. If tennis was all about constant aggressiveness we'd just have dull matches between the likes of Gonzalez, Monfils and Verdasco with ludicrously high unforced error counts.

Don't think anyone here is lauding his tennis as the "best ever", that is a typical defensive reaction from a blinkered hater. He did what he needed to get it done against Nadal, just as he has done today against Cilic. Federer (the greatest of all time so any comparison of tennis styles is generaly redundant and pointless) is a different kettle of fish entirely and I would expect him to beat Murray in 4.

Guest DavidJCW

Well clearly not that blinkered considering I have said on many occasions how well he played some of his shots.

However, like I said, the only reason I am making a point about Murray is because people seem to go completely over the top about him when he wins and to me, although he did very well, he wasn't outstanding as an outsider would believe from reading the British press or some people's opinions on here.