Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Wimbledon starting today.

Difficult to pick a mens winner, Murray in his final act, likely no Brit to get into singles week 2.

Hopefully Jack Draper will but agree probably no one else z.

Andy Murray concluding his single career and KDH moving on, on the same day. The universe trying to finish me off today... I guess this means I was there for his final ever singles win, and for that (as someone who has followed his career through every turn since I first saw him play when he was 18) I am very grateful. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

When was the last time the defending champion got knocked  out in the first round ?

For the men it's Hewitt I'm 2003, lost to Karlovic.

For the women it's Graf losing to Lori McNeil in 1994! There have been a lot of second and third round exits for defending champions on the Ladies singles over the years though, too many to list and a handful of retired champions not defending their title.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Andy Murray concluding his single career and KDH moving on, on the same day. The universe trying to finish me off today... I guess this means I was there for his final ever singles win, and for that (as someone who has followed his career through every turn since I first saw him play when he was 18) I am very grateful. 

Hear hear.

It's been a long time since we first saw him on the grass of Queens in 2005, making much higher ranked players look very foolish.

Back then you knew it was just a question of when he would reach the top. He's been unlucky not to win more than he has, but considering he's been playing against three of the best players of the game ever, he's been brilliant.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Hear hear.

It's been a long time since we first saw him on the grass of Queens in 2005, making much higher ranked players look very foolish.

Back then you knew it was just a question of when he would reach the top. He's been unlucky not to win more than he has, but considering he's been playing against three of the best players of the game ever, he's been brilliant.

In that respect, the two olympic golds will always be so significant. That’s something he can boast the others can’t. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

In that respect, the two olympic golds will always be so significant. That’s something he can boast the others can’t. 

True.

The one thing missing from the trophy cabinet of both Federer and Djokovic, and they both clearly wanted it.

Went yesterday for day 1. The queue actually was a great experience with lots of different people to talk to from all over the world. Courts were in mint condition and saw some brilliant tennis.

I would highly recommend it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Durnerz said:

Went yesterday for day 1. The queue actually was a great experience with lots of different people to talk to from all over the world. Courts were in mint condition and saw some brilliant tennis.

I would highly recommend it.

We went a couple - no - a few - no - dammit I can't remember what year it was now :P Had a couple of seats on centre court for the first week :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Draper match like  watching Murray !

I could be wrong, but Murray didn't usually have many issues with early round opposition at Wimbledon once he was established.

Good win for Draper, I do hope he can prove himself as it would be disappointing to go back to mediocrity in mens singles for a Brit perspective.

• Like 1