Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Well yeah, but it would be pretty stupid to suggest that he hadn't played any shots well having won a match 6-3, 7-6 3-0.

I would love you to come up with some worthwhile examples of people on here who go "completely over the top" with their praise. The press can be ignored as we all know their reaction to any British success....it's a moot point and nothing to do with Murray or his game.

It's nice to see the discussion taking it's natural route, it's almost a bulletproof template.......1) make excuses for an opponent losing to Murray 2) Criticise his own game style 3) Talk about how "arrogant" and unlikable Murray is 4) Complain about how other individuals/the press praise Murray.

So he is British for now...but IF Murray loses does he go back to being Scottish?

Anyway nice to have one decent tennis player who does get into finals.

People make a fuss about his personality but how much does Murray care if he wins on Sunday? (which is his main goal rather than be the usual plucky British loser who makes friends with the press)

Edited by Super_horns

However, like I said, the only reason I am making a point about Murray is because people seem to go completely over the top about him when he wins and to me, although he did very well, he wasn't outstanding as an outsider would believe from reading the British press or some people's opinions on here.

:yawn::rolleyes:

You can't be mediocre, as you are making his performances out to be, and still reach a major grand slam final in modern day mens tennis, the standard is too good.

I'm really enjoying the Murray hating, just proves what a bunch of idiots are around, how people dont want someone representing their nation to win is the most pathetic thing I have heard in a while, if you comeback with an excuse to this that I dont care about tennis so not bothered who wins.. then fuck off out this thread.

I'm really enjoying the Murray hating, just proves what a bunch of idiots are around, how people dont want someone representing their nation to win is the most pathetic thing I have heard in a while, if you comeback with an excuse to this that I dont care about tennis so not bothered who wins.. then fuck off out this thread.

We do care about tennis though, hence our commenting in this thread. If you don't care, why would you trawl through loads of comments you hate and make that post? Bit pointless.

Fed just imperious yet again. Undeniably the Greatest of all time.

Irrespective of the result on Sunday, I just hope that Murray comes out 100% firing and that we have a match to remember. It will be an epic effort to beat Federer in a best of 5 setter with him in this type of form.

Also, I don't necessarily subscribe to the view that it is pathetic to not want Murray to win because he represents Britain. I personally hope Murray does well in every tournament, but I feel tennis is one of those sports where it's not so cut and dried as to who you support on court simply due to nationality. I have no problems with people disliking Murray, but those who do dislike him need to swallow their pride occasionally and give the guy some credit where it's due.

Edited by martyn

Anyone who still insists Murray is arrogant ought to look at a few of Federer's comments, then you'll see who the arrogant one is.

Like I said earlier, most top players no matter what the sport is have a touch of arrogance, you have to be overly self confident, i think its a good thing.

I'm really enjoying the Murray hating, just proves what a bunch of idiots are around, how people dont want someone representing their nation to win is the most pathetic thing I have heard in a while

To be fair, unless his status has drastically changed on the issue (possible, I don't follow tennis - I admit) then Andy Murray doesn't consider himself British and doesn't particularly wish to be considered British. He wishes to be considered a Scot and little else, no?

With that in mind I don't see why the British public should feel obligated to support him or take any pride in his success. For the record, I do hope he wins - as the underdog more than anything else - but I also respect his right to self-identification. If Andy Murray doesn't consider himself British, why should the British public?

Anyone who still insists Murray is arrogant ought to look at a few of Federer's comments, then you'll see who the arrogant one is.

Is it really terrible arrogance or is it really just justified confidence? Again, I concede I don't follow tennis very actively but Federer is that good.

To be fair, unless his status has drastically changed on the issue (possible, I don't follow tennis - I admit) then Andy Murray doesn't consider himself British and doesn't particularly wish to be considered British. He wishes to be considered a Scot and little else, no?

If there is a quote or something do forgive me, but apart from a cheap comment about not supporting the England football team (which why should he?), then when on earth has he distanced himself from being British? If he doesn't consider himself British then why has he been playing Davis cup all these years?

Is it really terrible arrogance or is it really just justified confidence? Again, I concede I don't follow tennis very actively but Federer is that good.

Yes it is justified confidence but there is definite arrogance in some parts, his comments about the head-to-head record denounce Murray's achievements and he says it was down to purely his own form.

Edited by dandannieldanok

Guest DavidJCW

Excellent! :D Serena's 12th Grand Slam singles title, 25th in all now! :D:scarf:

5th Australian Open title too!

Edited by DavidJCW