Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Such a shame Murray couldn't convert his chances in that 3rd set, should have closed it out at 5-3 on his serve really. Federer deserved the match though, was imperious for large chunks of it, Murray just wasn't allowed to settle into the match. Oh well, onwards and upwards, let's hope Murray can keep up this kind of form throughout 2010.

Guest DavidJCW

From the bits that I saw, Murray did pretty well... but in the end was totally outclassed by a far superior Federer who had an amazing array of shots to which Murray sometimes had no reply.

Great result! :D:scarf:

Did the BBC say they would be repeating this final at anypoint on BBC1/BBC 2 or red button :dunno:

They replayed Nadal, Cilic games over and over on red button and as i missed the whole final would like to watch it.

Can't seem to find it anywhere though.

Edited by maddog

To be fair, unless his status has drastically changed on the issue (possible, I don't follow tennis - I admit) then Andy Murray doesn't consider himself British and doesn't particularly wish to be considered British. He wishes to be considered a Scot and little else, no?

With that in mind I don't see why the British public should feel obligated to support him or take any pride in his success. For the record, I do hope he wins - as the underdog more than anything else - but I also respect his right to self-identification. If Andy Murray doesn't consider himself British, why should the British public?

Is it really terrible arrogance or is it really just justified confidence? Again, I concede I don't follow tennis very actively but Federer is that good.

It's the British, i.e English, Tennis system that has got him where he is today. Thats why.

Federer amazing, again, although how long this little spell of brilliance is going to last who knows, he is nowhere near as consistant as he used to be.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been watching the Madrid masters?

Murray is currently 2 sets up in his opener against Chela.

Yes I've seen a few matches, Murray looked in decent nick yesterday and should get past Hanescu without too many troubles today. I'm afraid he won't have much chance in the French Open though, along with many other top players, clay surfaces are a weakness for Murray.

I'm afraid he won't have much chance in the French Open though, along with many other top players, clay surfaces are a weakness for Murray.

I'm no tennis expert so I might be talking tosh but isn't Nadal a bit of a don on the clay?

Edited by Edmund Crouchback

Murray embroiled in a real war of attrition against Ferrer at the minute, the rallies are hard-hitting and energy sapping. Murray a set and 2-3 down.

On a side note, more ridiculous timing for a sports event. It's gone midnight in Spain and if Murray takes this set they could be on court for at least another hour to come. The winner will face Federer later today, it's not fair on these guys.

Murray embroiled in a real war of attrition against Ferrer at the minute, the rallies are hard-hitting and energy sapping. Murray a set and 2-3 down.

On a side note, more ridiculous timing for a sports event. It's gone midnight in Spain and if Murray takes this set they could be on court for at least another hour to come. The winner will face Federer later today, it's not fair on these guys.

It's been a cracking match so far. I must admit I didn't contemplate the time at which this match is being played. Ludicrous by British standards but then again it's not out of the norm in Spanish culture.

Murray does complain a lot doesn't he, constantly shouting :D

Guest DavidJCW

:D Loving Murray's form at the minute...

Anyway, glad to see Serena and Venus leading the way as World Number 1 and 2 again! :D

Guest DavidJCW

VERY tough opening match for Murray at the Roland Garros... it'll be interesting to see who comes through that one as Gasquet's just won the title in Nice and is on the back of a 10 match winning streak.

I know who I'll be cheering on, but the floor is open to discussion about who everyone thinks will come through this. :sweating:

Anyone watching Murray-Gasquet match? Missed the first 2 sets because of a bloody exam :(, but with Murray taking the 3rd set and Gasquet tiring the quicker of the pair, should be a couple more sets to come....:D....come on Andy!

Quality match, one of the best ive seen in a while.

Can't stand Lloyd and Petchey talking total BS though, saying it's Murrays match now just because he's scraped the 3rd set. He's still 2-1 down, if Gasquet can get some momentum again he can win still, even if he is a bit tired.

They were saying it was Murrays match when he made it 3-3 in the third set, it's total crap. They're so pro Murray it's unreal.

Gasquet is still favourite here in my view, they think it's all over and it's Murrays now.

Gasquet is playing very well here still.

Edited by maddog

Anyone watching Murray-Gasquet match? Missed the first 2 sets because of a bloody exam :(, but with Murray taking the 3rd set and Gasquet tiring the quicker of the pair, should be a couple more sets to come....:D....come on Andy!

I am indeed that service game Gasquet looked like he had given up! LET'S GO ANDY, LET'S GO!

Quality match, one of the best ive seen in a while.

Can't stand Lloyd and Petchey talking total BS though, saying it's Murrays match now just because he's scraped the 3rd set. He's still 2-1 down, if Gasquet can get some momentum again he can win still, even if he is a bit tired.

They were saying it was Murrays match when he made it 3-3 in the third set, it's total crap. They're so pro Murray it's unreal.

Gasquet is still favourite here in my view, they think it's all over and it's Murrays now.

Gasquet is playing very well here still.

Just been saying this to my mate.

Murray's still behind, but Gasquet looks done in, and I can see Murray winning this now. Hopefully it carries on like the first three sets, been great to watch.

Edited by ScouseFox

Gasquet definitely needs this set if he's to win, with the momentum and fatigue against him I just can't see him winning a 5th set if there were to be one. However there might not be a 5th set as that last game showed, he's still playing well enough to force a break point. Murray needs to stay focused, he'll get at least one good chance to break Gasquet in this set.

Edited by dandannieldanok