Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Re-read what i wrote, in the final week not just the finals. Last 3 Wimbeldons QF, SF, SF. Last 3 French QF, 4R, SF. Last 3 Aus 4R, F, F. Last 3 Us Open F, 4R, 3R. Doesn't take a genious to figure out he has all the talent in the world but there is something wrong with him when it comes to the business end of Grand Slams. Surely there must be a question on hes ability to handle pressure, as Shen pointed out he has beaten the best players before.

The comparrison i waas making with Henman was the fact Henman made 8 quater finals at Wimbeldon and still failed to make a final let alone win one.

Excuse me, Roo, but how does this suggest there's something wrong? Even without knowing the context of these stats, they look quite impressive to me. But of course, they pale in comparison to Nadal and Federer. Then again, only a handful of players in the sports history could come close to comparing to them.

Excuse me, Roo, but how does this suggest there's something wrong? Even without knowing the context of these stats, they look quite impressive to me. But of course, they pale in comparison to Nadal and Federer. Then again, only a handful of players in the sports history could come close to comparing to them.

I don't know wether you have believed i have written something i haven't. I've never said and never will say that Murray isn't a good player because he is BUT what i am questioning is his ability to WIN a grand slam. I'm merely highlighting the fact that he gets deep in tournaments looking good and then when the pressure is on he (and i don't like to use this word) chokes.

I'm not english or british so i'm just an impartial tennis fan but the stats don't lie he has had his chances as did Tim Henman in his day.

EDIT: I actually believe if he wins a Grand Slam the flood gates will open and he will get on a role and win a few

Edited by SOCCERROO FOX

I don't know wether you have believed i have written something i haven't. I've never said and never will say that Murray isn't a good player because he is BUT what i am questioning is his ability to WIN a grand slam. I'm merely highlighting the fact that he gets deep in tournaments looking good and then when the pressure is on he (and i don't like to use this word) chokes.

I'm not english or british so i'm just an impartial tennis fan but the stats don't lie he has had his chances as did Tim Henman in his day.

EDIT: I actually believe if he wins a Grand Slam the flood gates will open and he will get on a role and win a few

It's just hard to say that he chokes when he's up against the players that he is. Djokovic has been unbeatable this year and only an exceptional performance (even by his standards) by Fed could stop him. Can't say Murray choked in the Aussies. Losing to Nadal at Roland Garros? Only Söderlings not done that since Nadal's first win there. In fact, the only player to defeat Nadal or Fed in a slam final apart from eachother is Del Potro on one occasion. Surely, it's not the 'choking' or 'failure' of Murray here, it's the historical brilliance of Nadal and Fed that has kept him and others at bay.

And when Murray wins, I actually DON'T believe it will open the floodgates. The current climate indicates that the Fed-Nadal domination could continue for a few more years. If Djokovic can sustain this form then it will make a slam win even harder.

If losing to Nadal in 3 Semi Finals at his 2 strongest Grand Slams and losing 2 finals to the best player ever constitutes choking, then I guess no-one has a chance. The French Open is moot as Murray lags well behind the big 3 on clay.

Statistics are deceiving, of course he's generally going to get past the first week when he's generally playing against low ranked mugs up to around Round 3. Where he has lost to lower ranked players at grand slams, it's been against decent shotmakers who hit a purple patch and were able to exploit passive play (Berdych, Verdasco) or benefiting from Murray not being 100% fit (Wawrinka, Cilic).

For me, it's not mental fragility stopping him, it's the lack of a world class forehand. Where the top players raise their game in best of 5 set encounters, Murray hasn't quite got that extra weapon to make it easier for him.

Andy Murray is a better player than Henman ever was, it's a lazy lazy comparison. It is ridiculous to say he won't win a Grand Slam when he has a realistic chance for the next 3-4 years (during which time Federer and Nadal's level will have dropped).

Yes i agree that Federer level will have dropped but I disagree about Nadal, he's just turned 25 so vertually the same age as Murray and alot better standard, then you've also got Djokovic who is 24 and is looking at the moment like he is going to take Federers place in dominating Grand slams with Nadal.

Ok on reflection my prediction that Murray will never win a grand slam is abit over the top but he will definetley not dominate tennis in the way Nadal and Federer have been doing that is for sure.

Edited by leicesterisme

Murray's pretty unlucky really, he'd have been easily good enough to win a grand slam 7 or 8 years ago, but with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all at their peak so far through his career, he's not going to.

Yes i agree that Federer level will have dropped but I disagree about Nadal, he's just turned 25 so vertually the same age as Murray and alot better standard, then you've also got Djokovic who is 24 and is looking at the moment like he is going to take Federers place in dominating Grand slams with Nadal.

Ok on reflection my prediction that Murray will never win a grand slam is abit over the top but he will definetley not dominate tennis in the way Nadal and Federer have been doing that is for sure.

Imo, Nadal's playing style and knee problems will see him struggle to stay dominant. I think we've already seen his peak.

Murray will never dominate tennis, but he can definitely take at least 1 slam.

James Ward through to the semis of Queens. Ranked 216th in the world and has beaten Stanislas Warwrinka (ranked 14th), Sam Querrey (defending champion and ranked 26th) and Adrian Mannarino (ranked 54th). Now he plays Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semis and could line a possible all British final against Andy Murray.

Brilliant effort from the lad, hopefully he can keep it up and have a decent run at Wimbledon.

Much prefer Jamie Ward than Andy Murray. Hope Ward makes it to the final. Tsonga will be a tough test though. Nadal didn't play his best today, looked tired and kinda gave up in third set. Don't blame him to be honest!

Can't see Murray beating Roddick. The latter was on fire today against Verdasco.

Much prefer Jamie Ward than Andy Murray. Hope Ward makes it to the final. Tsonga will be a tough test though. Nadal didn't play his best today, looked tired and kinda gave up in third set. Don't blame him to be honest!

Can't see Murray beating Roddick. The latter was on fire today against Verdasco.

Don't really get the Murray hate, but whatever. Really hope Ward can build on this and push up the rankings. He's a full 212 ranking places below Murray and he's the British number 2!

An all British final at Queens would be great for British tennis. So would another British male other than Murray going a few rounds into a Grand Slam.

Much prefer James Ward than Andy Murray. Hope Ward makes it to the final. Tsonga will be a tough test though. Nadal didn't play his best today, looked tired and kinda gave up in third set. Don't blame him to be honest!

Murray dispatched him with ease. :)

I know :(. I just got back in from town and saw the score :o. Did Roddick really play that badly?!

Didn't watch it all but from what I saw, Murray won because he's far the superior player. Roddick wouldn't have to play THAT bad to lose to Murray, because as much as you don't like the guy, he's world number 4 for a reason.

Didn't watch it all but from what I saw, Murray won because he's far the superior player. Roddick wouldn't have to play THAT bad to lose to Murray, because as much as you don't like the guy, he's world number 4 for a reason.

Ha I didn't mean to say that Murray is shit. That wasn't what I was aiming for at all. It's just that Roddick was playing 'on fire' and looked very confident. So just to see him lose 6-3 6-1 against any player, be it Murray or Nadal or Federer is a bit unexpected.

Ha I didn't mean to say that Murray is shit. That wasn't what I was aiming for at all. It's just that Roddick was playing 'on fire' and looked very confident. So just to see him lose 6-3 6-1 against any player, be it Murray or Nadal or Federer is a bit unexpected.

I'd heard Roddick hadn't won since March until he played at Queens so maybe it was just a case of getting passed a few easier players on his favourite surface and then getting torn to shreds when facing a tougher opponent. :dunno:

• 2 months later...

US is in full swing, Murray should just be about to come through in 5 sets after being 2 down against Haase. Shame really as since about half way through the third Haase hasn't even been able to move!

Not over yet, Haase has one break back in the decider.