Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Struggled in the first set. Pistol Pete had his chances to before the tiebreak to go a set up and didn't take 'em.

2010 THE YEAR OF THE TOMIC ......you heard it here first.

Tomic = decent run to the QF's and a heroic loss to Federer. He's not quite the finished article yet. But he's certainly got potential.

I've been saying it every year. His getting closer tho still only 19 and last year he was very good at Wimbeldon. Had a chance there to take the joker to 5 when won a set then was up a break and lost his serve after 40-15.

Been some amazing matches so far - great to watch.

SoccerooFoxs favourite Bernie Tomic currently locked at all square in the third with Sam Querrey. Could go either way.

John Isner (he of the 70-68 final set at Wimby year before last) just finished another marathon against David Nalbandian...10-8 in the fifth it finished. Great entertainment.

He won it in 4 played was some brilliant tennis.

Any one see Bagdhatis lose his shit and break 4 raquets in the one change of ends lol

Was watching that match but the bastard coverage turned over to an advert just before it happened. They didn't even show a replay! :(

Bet it'll be on The Tube soon though. That was a great game...the crowd were nuts. Baghdatis games in Aus are always good value for that reason.

Kudos to Tomic for a gutsy win there - still have him pegged for the QF's. Murray to play today against a French qualifier - believe he's played him once before and it went to 5 sets...can't see that happening here though.

Tomic in the QF means he has to beat Federer, can't see that although he might take it to 4 sets. Don't really like Tomic's game but he knows how to win and is more proactive on the important points, an invaluable commodity. He'll be top 10 by the end of the year.

Hopefully he'll mature as well, pretty scummy move against Dolgo where he clearly went to challenge by raising his racket, Dolgopolov then hit the subsequent ball out and then Tomic pretended he didn't challenge and won the point.

Shaping into an interesting tournament, all the top guys look somewhere near their best and dangerous players like Berdych and Del Potro are looking in ominously good form. Could be a great 2nd week.

Yeah, that's my bad - thought he would play Fed in the QF, not R4. Think he'll push Fed but won't win. Definitely got a bright future - playing style actually reminds me of Murray at the same age.

Speaking of which...Murray playing a hugely entertaining match against Llodra at the moment - some of it is pure exhibition stuff. The game that Murray won to take the 2nd set is one that'll be replayed again and again.

All going pretty According To Hoyle at the moment. Tomic gave Federer a decent match. Murray's opponent (Kukushkin, beat Monfils in previous round) was knackered pretty much from the moment he stepped onto court so it was laughably one-sided. Djoko playing Hewitt later - might go to 4 if the crowd can lift Hewitt enough to grab one set.

Can see Lyetton getting flogged tonight but good on him for coming back from injury and making it to the 4th Round.

Bernie will learn from that lose and he is still only 19 so hopefully with more experience and natural strength and conditioning will be right up there ready to match it with the big 3 and Murray.

Top 4 all into the semifinals. Couldn't see that coming... :ph34r:

Djoko obviously a decent favourite against Murray in one semifinal, but Murrays been on good form this week himself. Should be interesting.

Federer-Nadal...well, that's impossible to predict.

He'll definitely need to serve better against Novak. I think he was at about 43% first serve today.

He'll definitely need to serve better against Novak. I think he was at about 43% first serve today.

Yeah, the serve was fvcking awful today - if he serves like that against Djoko he'll be murdered. But then he knows that too - for me that match will come down to who is better on the day in terms of mentality, because I think in terms of ability they're practically on a par. But for the last year or so Nole has been the most mentally strong person on the Tour. On Friday...we'll see exactly how much Lendl has been able to do as Murray's coach in terms of his mentality.

Expect him to go out to be honest, his record V the big 3 in grand slams is appalling.

Hopefully Roger can take home the tournament, would be fantastic to see him return to top form at this age.

Expect him to go out to be honest, his record V the big 3 in grand slams is appalling.

Hopefully Roger can take home the tournament, would be fantastic to see him return to top form at this age.

Yeah...only 2 wins (both against Nadal) from 9 in Slams against the big 3 is not a good record. Still, the only one of the big 3 to put him out in Slams before the final up to now is Nadal so you never know... :ph34r:

And on a more serious note, Djokos results against Fed and Nadal in Slams were appalling until this time last year. But he had a massive mentality change. We'll see if Murray is capable of that too - as I said before, the problem is between his ears, not with his play. We'll see if Lendl can help there pretty soon.

As for Roger - he's got so much natural talent and he's a brilliant player even at this age, but I always get the air of a Schumacher about him - lots of arrogance and conceit to go with the skill. He's had a great tournament, however - definite regular flashes of the old genius.

Edited by leicsmac

Yeah...only 2 wins (both against Nadal) from 9 in Slams against the big 3 is not a good record. Still, the only one of the big 3 to put him out in Slams before the final up to now is Nadal so you never know... :ph34r:

And on a more serious note, Djokos results against Fed and Nadal in Slams were appalling until this time last year. But he had a massive mentality change. We'll see if Murray is capable of that too - as I said before, the problem is between his ears, not with his play. We'll see if Lendl can help there pretty soon.

As for Roger - he's got so much natural talent and he's a brilliant player even at this age, but I always get the air of a Schumacher about him - lots of arrogance and conceit to go with the skill. He's had a great tournament, however - definite regular flashes of the old genius.

Roger seems to have been back to his best for a while, was superb towards the end of last season and probably would have won the US not for that bizarre collapse on match point V Djokovic. He seems to be able to still turn it on when he wants but there is a definate change in his attitude this year, certainly putting more time in on the practice court.

Agree on Murray, its in the head and he does have to be more aggressive on court, hitting winners is what wins slams, waiting for the unforced errors can get you this far but thats the massive difference in getting over the line.

Roger seems to have been back to his best for a while, was superb towards the end of last season and probably would have won the US not for that bizarre collapse on match point V Djokovic. He seems to be able to still turn it on when he wants but there is a definate change in his attitude this year, certainly putting more time in on the practice court.

Agree on Murray, its in the head and he does have to be more aggressive on court, hitting winners is what wins slams, waiting for the unforced errors can get you this far but thats the massive difference in getting over the line.

Yeah - I think we'll know a lot more about Rogers return to form and Murray's possible mentality shift in the next 48 hours, as they're both playing the toughest opponents it is possible to face for them, IMO. I'm just hoping for three great matches from here, and I do hope Murray can acquit himself well and get this fvcking Slam millstone off of his neck.

Edited by leicsmac

Well, it's hard to see where Federer goes from here. I honestly can't see him winning another Grand Slam event.

Yeah - both Djokovic and Nadal know they can beat him in Slams now, and it's likely that if he wants to win another he'll have to play both. Unlikely. He's still got the ability there, but both of the players above him can just outlast him.

Well, it's hard to see where Federer goes from here. I honestly can't see him winning another Grand Slam event.

He has no intention of retiring yet, I'm quite friendly with a guy who has a lot to do with the Halle tournament in Germany and he actually enjoys playing and travelling the world and wants to do it as long as possible.

I still think he will win another couple at some point, though I agree to beat Nadal he probably has to go 2-0 up.

Great game but Andy Murray must now be known as the Jock Bottler.

Not really. He hardly bottled it, in fact it was a brilliant comeback in the final set from 5-2 down to get it back to 5-5.

It could have gone either way at the end and unfortunately for Murray it was Djokovic who was slightly better on the day.

Great game but Andy Murray must now be known as the Jock Bottler.

Wondered how long it would be until someone said he bottled it. Appears that you even watched the game and yet still believe this.

I'm not Murray's biggest fan by any means, I'm not really that bothered if he wins or loses but today he didn't bottle it. He was marginally beaten by the best player in the world.