Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Not really. He hardly bottled it, in fact it was a brilliant comeback in the final set from 5-2 down to get it back to 5-5.

It could have gone either way at the end and unfortunately for Murray it was Djokovic who was slightly better on the day.

If you look the word unfortunate up, Andy Murray is the definition.

Absolute clown post.

No bottling or choking there whatsoever. Djokovic absolutely clutch to hold at 5-5 in the 5th with Murray putting him under all sorts of pressure.

To his credit he did well to get back into it but he had 2 break points to serve for the match! You can't throw away chances like that.

All in all, he got close but didn't win, the very definition of having no bottle, It's always the same story with Murray the British hero. ;)

Edited by Leicfox

Can;t knock him for the 15-40, Djoko played two incredible points.

At 2-1 up though I thought he almost threw the 4th set away without a fight. This is going to become a huge mental block for him soon.

What a match.

I think today Murray showed he (if he applies himself mentally more) can mix it with the top 3 at the business end of Slams. There's no disgrace in this defeat.

The old Murray would have folded when he went a set and a break down. The new one fought back.

Obviously there were some 'what if' moments there (the point at 5-5 30-40 in the finale was a key one), but I think this result does show positivity for Murray in the future because today there was next to nothing between him and Djokovic in terms of skill and mental strength. If he can push on from this, I think he has every chance of breaking his Slam duck.

As for the final...well, Djoko is pretty damn hardcore, but I think this match may have taken too much out of him for him to be able to deal with Nadal.

What a match.

I think today Murray showed he (if he applies himself mentally more) can mix it with the top 3 at the business end of Slams. There's no disgrace in this defeat.

The old Murray would have folded when he went a set and a break down. The new one fought back.

Obviously there were some 'what if' moments there (the point at 5-5 30-40 in the finale was a key one), but I think this result does show positivity for Murray in the future because today there was next to nothing between him and Djokovic in terms of skill and mental strength. If he can push on from this, I think he has every chance of breaking his Slam duck.

As for the final...well, Djoko is pretty damn hardcore, but I think this match may have taken too much out of him for him to be able to deal with Nadal.

Completely agree.

Just checked the odds and Djokovic has been priced up as the fave, got to have a few quid on Nadal there.

Djokovic will be fine I'm sure. Ignoring the fact that he's 6-0 from his last 6 finals v Nadal, I remember Rome last year when after a 3 hour lung burster with Murray, he came back the folllowing day and disposed of Nadal without fuss. He always looks on the brink of collapsing, then finds a 2md, 3rd, 4th wind etc etc.

Murray didn't seem up for it fourth set, and last set I thought he was totally doomed but it's good to see him fighting.

But at the end of the day he failed again, he has had so many chances but even with Lendl and 2 sets to 1 advantage he still can't topple Djokovic.

I thought Murray had it at 5-5, there were also a few line calls which may of been in, but the idiot wasted all of his challenges early doors.

Better look next time Andy, seems to me a Grand Slam is still way off and probably will never ever come.

Murray in no way bottled it. It was a superb match and Murray more than held his own and showed he can definitely mix it with the best. He's still relatively young, improving all the time and WILL win a Grand Slam sooner rather than later.

Yey MILKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've missed ya!

I just can't stand it when people with no real talent have a go at someone with ability. I guess as an amateur, and enthusiastic sportsman myself I can appreciate just how hard it is to perform to such a high standard. Ok he lost, and keeps losing at the latter stages in major tournaments, but this guy has reached the top four in the world in his field, top frour in the world! Yet he has to take abuse from complete no marks. Really gets to me.

In the words of kevin keegan, i would love it, love it, if he managed to pick up one of these major trophies. Even if he doesn't, i'll always respect the bloke for his immense talent. I know you aren't a fan of Henman purpleronnie, but i'll always defend him to the hilt. It's ****ing hard to be really good at these things.

Edited by Milky

And exactly how much was there in terms of ability between Murray and Djokovic last night, in all aspects?

That's part of the problem though I think.

We have all seen Djokovic play far better than that, I think that was Murray at the top of his game and unfortunately it still just wasnt good enough to put him away. He should get a slam by law fo averages but I do worry for him as the mental side of it could start to effect him, The Aus and US are the only two i think he can win as well.

And exactly how much was there in terms of ability between Murray and Djokovic last night, in all aspects?

Well, basically, enough for Djokovic to be in another final and Murray to be crying himself to sleep for the god knows how many-th slam in a row.

That's part of the problem though I think.

We have all seen Djokovic play far better than that, I think that was Murray at the top of his game and unfortunately it still just wasnt good enough to put him away. He should get a slam by law fo averages but I do worry for him as the mental side of it could start to effect him, The Aus and US are the only two i think he can win as well.

Murrays game in the first set wasn't anywhere near his best - his serve was all over the shop. And in the fourth he just didn't seem to want to try. In the other three sets I think he was playing at about the limit. Agree with you on Djokovic looking a little tight at times too - thing is because of that it became a very close game, and what's to say Djokovic won't go into his next match with Murray feeling the same way?

What I'm saying is based on that match the margin in ability between Murray and Djokovic in Slams appears to have decreased. What's to say it won't continue to do so?

Well, basically, enough for Djokovic to be in another final and Murray to be crying himself to sleep for the god knows how many-th slam in a row.

Come on man, don't be facetious. I'm assuming you watched the match and saw how damn close it was, especially considering how Murray got wiped out by Djokovic the last time they met in a Slam. What's to say the next match won't be even closer? Last night showed a lot of progression, particularly in Murrays mental state - and that's key.

I watched most of it aye. And yes it was close, but all the while it seemed to me and most the people i was watching with, and maybe even to Murray himself that there was only going to be one winner, and it wasn't going to be him. Even on the bbc website, in the 3rd set breaker someone claimed the winner of the third set would take the match. The winner of the third set should have taken the match. But then Murray produced a 4th set disaster, basically telling Nole if he wanted to win, he could win. And he did.

Like I said, whether it's mental, physical or skilfully, I'm not sure, but the other 3 top players are better than Murray, and more or less every single time they meet in a slam, they'll beat him. Viewers know it, pundits know it, coaches know it, and I hate to say it but it's starting to look like the players know it as well.