Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

The French crowd are so rude and disrespectful. Horrible people.

Murray was sensational. I don't remember seeing him play better than that on clay. Shame Nadal is on the horizon.

I doubt he'll beat Ferrer tbh, worst possible quarer final draw at Roland Garros for a top 4 player.

Sorry peeps, but sport is about the mind as much as the body...if Gasquet was daft enough to get wound up by Murray's tricks - feigned injury or not - he didn't deserve to win this. Psychological warfare has always been a part of top-level sport, and always will be. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's a fact. Djoko is partial to the odd tactical injury timeout to put pressure on his opponent too. Gasquet should have used the crowd more too - like Murray did against him in Wimbledon 2008.

Anyhow, brilliant from Murray in the final two sets, but Ferrer will be another few notches up the scale. I'd make Ferrer favourite.

And Nadal looks utterly destructive right now.

Edited by leicsmac

Sorry peeps, but sport is about the mind as much as the body...if Gasquet was daft enough to get wound up by Murray's tricks - feigned injury or not - he didn't deserve to win this. Psychological warfare has always been a part of top-level sport, and always will be. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's a fact. Djoko is partial to the odd tactical injury timeout to put pressure on his opponent too. Gasquet should have used the crowd more too - like Murray did against him in Wimbledon 2008.

Anyhow, brilliant from Murray in the final two sets, but Ferrer will be another few notches up the scale. I'd make Ferrer favourite.

And Nadal looks utterly destructive right now.

This! Gasquet absolutely fell apart, dislike Murray but he was superb today

Ferrer will end Andy"I fake back spasms"Murray run.

Was disgusted by Murray's antics against Gasquet, simply not on.

Will have a spaff over Cibulkova tomorrow in preparation for her match against Stosur.

Ferrer will end Andy"I fake back spasms"Murray run.

Was disgusted by Murray's antics against Gasquet, simply not on.

Will have a spaff over Cibulkova tomorrow in preparation for her match against Stosur.

Fair enough mate, but the last time I checked what he did wasn't against the rules, and it's not like the rest of the Tour is whiter than white (Djoko's MTO's, Nadal's excessive time-wasting etc) either.

Don't quite understand why everyone's jumping on Murray's back (no pun intended) for this when gamesmanship is part of sport (as all top-level sportsmen understand) and Gasquet should have had the stones to not let it get to him and close the match out when he had Murray down at the start of the second set. As I said before, sport is about the mind as well as the body. The days of "It's the taking part that counts" are long gone now.

Agree with you about Ferrer beating him next round (in all likelihood) though.

Not been able to post for a while..

Djokovic looked woeful against Seppi and limped through, will be interesting to see how he plays later against a strong Tsonga who will make Djokovic work in front of a home crowd too,

Goffin was excellent against Federer but just couldn't keep up the buzzing tempo that he started with. Federer could struggle vs Del Potro who seems to be finally returning to his pre-injury form.

Nadal looks pretty unstoppable, although I wouldnt be surprised if Almagro nicked a set or even two, he was very impressive vs Tipsarevic - who himself had done well in the previous rounds.

Ferrer is the favourite for tomorrows match with Murray, very awkward match for Murray, I fancy putting a bet on Murray to 'retire through back spasms' when 2-0 down. Whiny bitch.

Not been able to post for a while..

Djokovic looked woeful against Seppi and limped through, will be interesting to see how he plays later against a strong Tsonga who will make Djokovic work in front of a home crowd too,

Goffin was excellent against Federer but just couldn't keep up the buzzing tempo that he started with. Federer could struggle vs Del Potro who seems to be finally returning to his pre-injury form.

Nadal looks pretty unstoppable, although I wouldnt be surprised if Almagro nicked a set or even two, he was very impressive vs Tipsarevic - who himself had done well in the previous rounds.

Ferrer is the favourite for tomorrows match with Murray, very awkward match for Murray, I fancy putting a bet on Murray to 'retire through back spasms' when 2-0 down. Whiny bitch.

Almagro is one of the Spanish bunnies whose sole duty it is is to lay down for Nadal when he plays them in Grand Slams. Lopez, Almagro, Verdasco and Ferrer all do the same thing vs Nadal in GS's - fold. Expect a straight sets victory for Nadal dropping no more than 12 games.

Djoko v Tsonga and Fed v Del P will both be extremely interesting. Wouldn't really want to call either.

And one more thing...in 459 matches on the ATP Tour, Murray has had to retire during a match once. 1 match. And that was because he'd practically broken his wrist during the match (bad sprain which kept him out for six months). So I don't think he'll retire out of this one. Ferrer definitely favourite though...first set will be crucial IMO. Think it'll be either straight sets Ferrer (more likely) or 3-1/3-2 Murray (less likely).

Edited by leicsmac

Almagro is one of the Spanish bunnies whose sole duty it is is to lay down for Nadal when he plays them in Grand Slams. Lopez, Almagro, Verdasco and Ferrer all do the same thing vs Nadal in GS's - fold. Expect a straight sets victory for Nadal dropping no more than 12 games.

Djoko v Tsonga and Fed v Del P will both be extremely interesting. Wouldn't really want to call either.

And one more thing...in 459 matches on the ATP Tour, Murray has had to retire during a match once. 1 match. And that was because he'd practically broken his wrist during the match (bad sprain which kept him out for six months). So I don't think he'll retire out of this one. Ferrer definitely favourite though...first set will be crucial IMO. Think it'll be either straight sets Ferrer (more likely) or 3-1/3-2 Murray (less likely).

Mind you, Murray was fantastic in the last two sets vs Gasquet, the match up's are very exciting!

Totally agree with that - it's a pretty good last 8 lineup.

Still can't look past a Nadal win though - bunnies all the way to the final from here (assuming Ferrer beats Murray) and then a final against one of four players who will probably have knackered themselves out in epic clashes in QF and SF (top half of the draw is very even to me). And in what is essentially his own backyard too.

Still, could be wrong. I'm just looking forward to some (hopefully) epic matches!

Sort of backs up the point that he is very rarely ever really injured. He just complains he was injured after a defeat, or acts like he's been through 12 rounds with Tyson whilst losing, then as soon as his opponent's game dips and he gets back in it, all his "injuries" disappear.

As for it's sportsmanship and "sport is about mind and body", I sort of see what you're saying. But do you say that every time Drogba goes down and stays down so the ball gets put out of play? Surely that's pretty much the same thing, trying to fool your opponent? Or if it's winding them up that you appreciate, did you congratulate Ronaldo and his antics at the World Cup when he got Rooney sent off? Was that just a good bit of sport?

Djok's a break up in the final set vs Tsonga, 1-4. Won't be on much longer I'd say.

Fed won in 5 from 2-0 down about twenty minutes ago in a fantastic game (apparently).

Novak's roaring all around the court now, double break, serving at 5-1 for the win. What a man. :wub:

Wow, watching Djokovic is the most frustrating thing ever as a Serb!

That third set was crazy, at 5-5 when Djok had numerous chances to take the break, Tsonga holds and then Djok is 40-30 up on serve and loses 3 points in a row! Crazy.

Sounds like two fantastic matches there. Told you they'd be difficult to call. :whistle: Will try to check out the highlights later.

Sort of backs up the point that he is very rarely ever really injured. He just complains he was injured after a defeat, or acts like he's been through 12 rounds with Tyson whilst losing, then as soon as his opponent's game dips and he gets back in it, all his "injuries" disappear.

As for it's sportsmanship and "sport is about mind and body", I sort of see what you're saying. But do you say that every time Drogba goes down and stays down so the ball gets put out of play? Surely that's pretty much the same thing, trying to fool your opponent? Or if it's winding them up that you appreciate, did you congratulate Ronaldo and his antics at the World Cup when he got Rooney sent off? Was that just a good bit of sport?

You seem to be of the opinion that I like it when such things happen. I don't - I dislike gamesmanship, but I don't complain about it because I know it's a part of sport that's going to always be there. Some people find it frustrating, especially when their player or team is on the receiving end...I just shrug. It's a sign of the times. As long as the rules are not broken, it's deemed acceptable. And people (this is not directed at you btw ScouseFox, people I've met IRL) do seem to use 'gamesmanship' as an excuse to have a go at people they don't like, while neglecting the fact that practically all top-level sportspeople indulge in it to a degree - even the ones they support. So it can appear to be a bit hypocritical.

Also I believe that as a top-level sportsman you have to cultivate the mental attitude to deal with any 'mind games' - be it Drogba going down like a sack of spuds, or the Aussies giving you lip when you're at the crease, or Murray appearing injured - that your opponent tries. A true test of a sportsman is to be entirely focussed on the game. Entirely. If a player is worrying too much about what their opponent is doing to focus on what they themselves are doing, they don't deserve to win.

Edited by leicsmac

Also, I am seriously fed up of the commentators who mention Murray in the 'top 4', he is nowhere near good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Another quarter-final exit beckons.

As I called... :whistle:

As I called... :whistle:

Good call - Ferrer is a pain in the arse for just about anyone on clay. Except his old pal Nadal, who he'll promptly roll over for in the semi-final. Another Djokovic - Nadal final coming up, as I called. :P

Murray made far too many errors. You can't do that against someone of Ferrer's calibre and get away with it....on clay Ferrer is way too consistent. He needs to look to the grasscourt season where he'll be a bit stronger.