Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Well...Berdych WOULD have been a decent QF opponent for Djoko. Unfortunately he's gone out to everyone's favourite genius/idiot player, Gulbis. Perhaps should have put a few bob on that one because Gulbis can spring shocks like this.

I think as well this highlights an essential difference between Ferrer/Del P/Tsonga/Berdych and Murray - he's far more consistent than any of them at Slams. Yes, any of them can beat him on their day, but often they don't even get to face him in Slams because they've gone out to lesser players. That doesn't happen with Murray now - he's not lost to an unseeded opponent at a Slam since 2008 and last time he lost in a Slam to a player outside the top 10 was nearly two years ago against Wawrinka. That's why I don't hold much truck with the theory that they're catching him up - he's far more consistent. That said, barring a superb performance here he's not gaining on the 3 above him either.

Of course, he could lose to Davydenko tomorrow and make me look a bit silly.

Tip on another match for today - Hewitt/Tsonga to go to 5. Hewitt loves Wimby and nearly always manages to take one big name out every year, or at the least push him close. Don't think he'll beat Tsonga, but he'll run him to the wire.

No Isner/Mahut rematch either. :(

Edited by leicsmac

Tip on another match for today - Hewitt/Tsonga to go to 5. Hewitt loves Wimby and nearly always manages to take one big name out every year, or at the least push him close. Don't think he'll beat Tsonga, but he'll run him to the wire.

Hewitt will lose in straight sets, Australian open this year aside he has only won a handful of matches in the last 18 months.

Hewitt will lose in straight sets, Australian open this year aside he has only won a handful of matches in the last 18 months.

True, but this is Wimbledon, and the normal rules of form don't seem to apply to Hewitt here. They haven't in the last couple of years, anyway. Nearly beat Soderling last year, did beat Del Potro the year before.

Of course I could be wrong but I think a 5-setter is worth going for at a decent price.

True, but this is Wimbledon, and the normal rules of form don't seem to apply to Hewitt here. They haven't in the last couple of years, anyway. Nearly beat Soderling last year, did beat Del Potro the year before.

Of course I could be wrong but I think a 5-setter is worth going for at a decent price.

I don't think LH will trouble Tsonga he is probably the best grass court player outside the the top 4, his results have been dire and he's way over the hill.

I don't think LH will trouble Tsonga he is probably the best grass court player outside the the top 4, his results have been dire and he's way over the hill.

You're probably right...but I think there's just a small chance. As I said - something seems to fire up inside Hewitt when he steps on to Wimbledon courts.

You're probably right...but I think there's just a small chance. As I said - something seems to fire up inside Hewitt when he steps on to Wimbledon courts.

He does seem to raise his game at Wimbledon and had it been someone with a little less talent the Tsonga I might agree with you.

I actually thought Hewitt had retired. I'm sure they said something like that at the French. Unless it was just his last French open

Well he should and many people are calling for him to retire. Not sure on his actual rankings but believe it is outside the top 100 (largely due to injury) but it's just sad to see him still battling and not the same fighting player he once was.

Pretty consummate from Murray there. Karlovic probably next up - will be a different kettle of fish but can't really hurt Murray's serve...shouldn't be a massive obstacle.

Tsonga too good for Hewitt - fair enough, it was just a hunch from me. Nadal took a little while to get going but looked decent enough when he did.

Guest MattP

Shame Ivo couldn't volley like that ten years ago when the courts were faster and his serve was even bigger.

Actually it's not. I love the traditions of Wimbledon but in terms of quality of tennis it's so far behind the rest of the slams now.

Wonderful effort from Ward. Hopefully he can take that experience and build on it because he really tested Fish for the majority of the game.

You always felt he would lose though....

It was a decent effort, played much better than his ranking, Fish is hardly at his best though, just had heart surgery. And yes there was always an air in the 5th that fish's serving would see him through. For those of you saying future star, afraid not, he's 25 and normally a woeful tennis player compared to most of the top 100, if he breaks 150 in the world before retiring I will be impressed.

Baltasha should be extremly red faced if she doesn't get a game on the board, so poor the BBC have taken her off to put Nadal on.

Didn't see Anna Kea however you spell it, props to Murray for seeing off Karlo was a potential bananna skin.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

It was a decent effort, played much better than his ranking, Fish is hardly at his best though, just had heart surgery. And yes there was always an air in the 5th that fish's serving would see him through. For those of you saying future star, afraid not, he's 25 and normally a woeful tennis player compared to most of the top 100, if he breaks 150 in the world before retiring I will be impressed.

Baltasha should be extremly red faced if she doesn't get a game on the board, so poor the BBC have taken her off to put Nadal on.

Didn't see Anna Kea however you spell it, props to Murray for seeing off Karlo was a potential bananna skin.

Oh didn't realise he was 25, he looks about 16 lol

Be impressed then. He was ranked 137 earlier this year.