Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

When he first burst into tears I laughed at him, but when he went on a bit more and started crying again I felt sorry for him.

At least he won a set, but he will never win a grand slam, he just doesn't have it in him regardless how hard he tries.

Djokovic and Nadal will only get stronger when Federer is in his last years, Tsonga, Del Potro and Berdych may improve aswell.

Federer was just a class above again.

When he first burst into tears I laughed at him, but when he went on a bit more and started crying again I felt sorry for him.

Odd feelings IMO. Don't get why you'd laugh at him or feel sorry for him :S

If I had a quid for every time I'd heard the "British when he wins, Scottish when loses" joke I'd have enough money to buy a ticket for the final! Really the most overused sports joke I've ever heard.

Well played Murray. Even at his best, he needed Federer to have an off-day but he was simply excellent, especially in the final 2 sets. Glad fans have seen another side to him. If people don't like him because he's boring then fair enough, but if they don't because he's Scottish then they need to grow up.

I really hope he gets his break one-day and hopefully at Wimbledon because it would be celebrated so much more than the US, Aussie or French.

It is funny seeing Murray fall at the final hurdle, he is a good player but some way off the top 3.

I think that's why he cried and got so emotional today. He knows that. He knows he played fantastically for almost a whole 4 sets today and still lost 3 of them. And that was against the "weakest" of the top 3. That's why I feel a bit sorry for him. He genuinely cannot do much more than he has and he's still not won a slam.

Murray started well. But he doesn't have the composure or stamina to keep his game together over five sets. That's why he'll always be vulnerable against the very top players, and with too many of those around right now, he's very unlikely to ever win a major.

But at least his Gazza-style antics after the match will stand him in good stead at the end of the year when sports awards are handed out. Even if Team GB win a shedload of gold medals at the Olympics, too many Brits prefer a "brave loser" to a genuine winner.

But at least his Gazza-style antics after the match will stand him in good stead at the end of the year when sports awards are handed out. Even if Team GB win a shedload of gold medals at the Olympics, too many Brits prefer a "brave loser" to a genuine winner.

Yeah :D.

Dunno if anyone else checked the Betfair graph for SPOTY award odds, but after the first set and when he was looking like he might win, obviously his odds fell quite a bit. They got higher and higher until he finally lost. Then as soon as his interview started again people were piling money into him winning it just because he cried. British people are suckers for tears.

Best player never to win a Slam. So many statistics saying that this is the case. Could possibly make the case for being the world's unluckiest sportsman too (in terms of opportunities at least).

It would be a bit of a shame if he was remembered as that - but there's still time. He just to keep putting himself in GS finals (this will not be his last one) and needs that bit more luck.

Murray started well. But he doesn't have the composure or stamina to keep his game together over five sets. That's why he'll always be vulnerable against the very top players, and with too many of those around right now, he's very unlikely to ever win a major.

I think that's why he cried and got so emotional today. He knows that. He knows he played fantastically for almost a whole 4 sets today and still lost 3 of them. And that was against the "weakest" of the top 3. That's why I feel a bit sorry for him. He genuinely cannot do much more than he has and he's still not won a slam.

Really? I don't think it had much to do with that. I think 95% of it was to do with the overwhelming support from 15,000 inside centre court and god knows how many people outside. I can't even imagine what Wimbledon means to him and how that would feel trying to address a nation who are vocally giving you unconditional support. Not surprised he could hardly get a word out, you could feel the emotion even watching on telly.

As for ability, his fitness is one of the best on tour according to players and pundits. It's a very sweeping statement to make. Before today's match Murray had the better record against Federer. While he might well be behind the top 3 it's not by much and to say the current Number 1 is weaker than Nadal and Djokovic is debatable. He's not able to produce to the scale they do any more but as we saw yesterday, he's still capable of genius on his day.

Murray's been in 4 slam finals now, I think he'll be in plenty more and I'd be very surprised if he never won one. Would be great if it was Wimbledon, it clearly means so much more to him.

Brooker unsurprisingly on the money as always.

I agree that Murray has the fitness to compete 5 sets against anyone, he's one of the fittest guys on tour. Where he perhaps struggles is the ability to retain a supremely high level of tennis over 5 sets to beat the top guys where it matters most. Having said that however, Fed was imperious in sets 3 and 4, hardly anybody could have lived with that level of tennis.

I felt awful for Murray yesterday, he is one of a handful of genuinely world class players we have in "blue riband" sports and his talent surely deserves to be decorated by at least 1 Grand Slam in his career.

lol all round on his day he'd blow anyone one of any court the exception being Nadal on clay. He might not have long left and he might have lost consistancy as he has aged but he is still the best Tennis player in history, and if your determining that from his ranking he has back at no.1.

Really? I don't think it had much to do with that. I think 95% of it was to do with the overwhelming support from 15,000 inside centre court and god knows how many people outside. I can't even imagine what Wimbledon means to him and how that would feel trying to address a nation who are vocally giving you unconditional support. Not surprised he could hardly get a word out, you could feel the emotion even watching on telly.

As for ability, his fitness is one of the best on tour according to players and pundits. It's a very sweeping statement to make. Before today's match Murray had the better record against Federer. While he might well be behind the top 3 it's not by much and to say the current Number 1 is weaker than Nadal and Djokovic is debatable. He's not able to produce to the scale they do any more but as we saw yesterday, he's still capable of genius on his day.

Murray's been in 4 slam finals now, I think he'll be in plenty more and I'd be very surprised if he never won one. Would be great if it was Wimbledon, it clearly means so much more to him.

Ignore Ultra, the fact that he often does not have a clue what he is on about unfortunatly doesn't stop him from opening his mouth.

lol all round on his day he'd blow anyone one of any court the exception being Nadal on clay. He might not have long left and he might have lost consistancy as he has aged but he is still the best Tennis player in history, and if your determining that from his ranking he has back at no.1.

Hence the quotation marks. Everyone said playing Federer rather than Djoko was "his best chance at winning". And he still didn't win.

Hence the quotation marks. Everyone said playing Federer rather than Djoko was "his best chance at winning". And he still didn't win.

A few people said it, and they weren't correct, no one would of stopped yesterday thats why he didn't win, I thought he actually played very well just not good enough.

If murray can reproduce that performance in other slam finals he will win one.

It was a close match, he had break points against federer in every set. Infact the second set he looked on top and was unlucky not to get at least a tie break. That 10 deuce game in set 3 was also of importance, again federer just managed to triumph but it was close.

The rain break helped federer aswell, as he was the older player, getting 30-40 minuntes rest at what turned out to be about halfway through the match would have helped him.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant performance from Robson. Going to need something exactly like that to have a chance against Na Li in the third round, but if she plays like that again anything is possible.

On the mens side...no real shocks so far. Glad to see Del P is in Djokovic's side of the draw and not Federer/Murrays...he will be a big threat if on form.

People going on about Raonic being a threat to Murray don't have a clue what they're saying - he's a massive flake, as borne by the fact that he needed 5 sets to beat a qualifier yesterday. I doubt he'll even make it to round 4.

Federer's corner of the draw looks pretty clean, apart from Berdych. Djokovic has a couple of potential banana skins, Del P amongst them. Murray's quarter seems ok, no real dangerous floaters. Tsonga in the QF would be tough, but Murray hasn't had many problems with him in the past.

Robson beats Li Na, first Brit girl into a Grand Slam 4R since 1998.

Showed she has something about her, thought she might capitulate after losing a close 2nd set and then a truly abysmal bit of umpiring potentially costing a break in the 3rd. Movement and serve much improved, forehand a great weapon.

Probably lose to Stosur next but this has been a great run.