Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

He better win another one and celebrate it like he's actually won a slam, not just walk around looking sad. Where's the Djoko-esque shirt rip, roar and dive into the crowd? Come on Andy, you've won it!

He looks too knackered to do that. Never seen 2 players so tired at the end of a final before. Great stuff.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

He better win another one and celebrate it like he's actually won a slam, not just walk around looking sad. Where's the Djoko-esque shirt rip, roar and dive into the crowd? Come on Andy, you've won it!

I think he's actually numb. To go after something and get so close to it for so long...when you actually get it, you don't know what to do with yourself.

But he'll get more.

• Like 1

Murray started well. But he doesn't have the composure or stamina to keep his game together over five sets. That's why he'll always be vulnerable against the very top players, and with too many of those around right now, he's very unlikely to ever win a major.

Well, that was me told.. :blush:lol

But Murray's moved up so much since winning at the Olympics. Did anyone EVER imagine he would have destroyed both Djokovic AND Federer in straight sets? Those wins built up reserves of confidence and self-belief he never showed previously.

And he certainly needed to make full use of those last night, against an opponent who has so often been his nemesis in previous grand slam events. Djokovic wasn't always at his best during the marathon contest, but his fighting spirit would probably have been enough to see him home against any other player (Federer and a fit Nadal included).

Yet Murray managed to hold his nerve and secure his first major title. There is every prospect that more will follow, especially at Wimbledon.

In the meantime, he must have taken over from Bradley Wiggins as favourite for Sports Personality of 2012. Maybe only an F1 title win for Lewis Hamilton can challenge him now.

But Murray's moved up so much since winning at the Olympics. Did anyone EVER imagine he would have destroyed both Djokovic AND Federer in straight sets? Those wins built up reserves of confidence and self-belief he never showed previously.

And he certainly needed to make full use of those last night, against an opponent who has so often been his nemesis in previous grand slam events. Djokovic wasn't always at his best during the marathon contest, but his fighting spirit would probably have been enough to see him home against any other player (Federer and a fit Nadal included).

Yet Murray managed to hold his nerve and secure his first major title. There is every prospect that more will follow, especially at Wimbledon.

In the meantime, he must have taken over from Bradley Wiggins as favourite for Sports Personality of 2012. Maybe only an F1 title win for Lewis Hamilton can challenge him now.

I still reckon Wiggo will win it, but in any other year at all - any other year - Murray would walk it.

Can't we just give a communal SPOTY award to a lot of people this year? It's been so fantastic...

I still reckon Wiggo will win it, but in any other year at all - any other year - Murray would walk it.

Can't we just give a communal SPOTY award to a lot of people this year? It's been so fantastic...

Rusedski won it for getting to a grand slam final. Murray wins an Olympic Gold, an Olympic Silver and the US Open, and will probably come 2nd...crazy! :frantics:

lol

That's settled it, I'm having a tenner on Wiggo.

I'm pleased for Murray, though those people chanting sports personality of the year contender should look no further than the sideburns of Sir Wiggins.

Besides to win that award there should be a pre-requisite that one actually possesses personality or even an ounce of charisma not drowned in verbal monotonic misery.

Edited by Nick

I don't care too much, but i loved seeing Henman always fail at the last couple of hurdles and was also enjoying seeing Murray do the same over the last few years.

I feel quite sorry for you. By all means enjoy a victory, but to take pleasure in the sorrow of a person who dedicates their life in pursuit of achieving a dream is, well, quite sad to be honest.

I'm pleased for Murray, though those people chanting sports personality of the year contender should look no further than the sideburns of Sir Wiggins.

Besides to win that award there should be a pre-requisite that one actually possesses personality or even an ounce of charisma not drowned in verbal monotonic misery.

People still don't get that it has nothing to do with 'personality'. It's just a title to refer to the sportsman/woman.

• Like 2

People still don't get that it has nothing to do with 'personality'. It's just a title to refer to the sportsman/woman.

Oh, I get it, disagree with the title completely (it should be Sportsperson of the year) but the irony of Murray winning anything with the word personality in the award is surely just too much.

He's probably bagged the Sports Personality of the Year award, too.

Incredibly tough list really. You've got:

Bradley Wiggins

Chris Hoy

Jessica Ennis

Mo Farah

Andy Murray

Nicola Adams

Greg Rutherwood

I'm sure I'm forgetting some too. The bottom two don't really have much of a chance but on a lot of other years when people like AP McCoy have won it, they'd be head and shoulders above the rest.

Incredibly tough list really. You've got:

Bradley Wiggins

Chris Hoy

Jessica Ennis

Mo Farah

Andy Murray

Nicola Adams

Greg Rutherwood

I'm sure I'm forgetting some too. The bottom two don't really have much of a chance but on a lot of other years when people like AP McCoy have won it, they'd be head and shoulders above the rest.

You can throw Ben Ainslie, Ellie Simmonds and David Weir in there too.

Don't think Ainslie has a chance, and Ellie will be around in Rio, but Weir probably has a shout.

Maybe Laura Trott or Pendleton to make it a bit more lady friendly.

Should there be a male and a female one? There was controversy last year when not a single woman was shortlisted, but women's sport is so much lower in profile.

Edit: Would they pick team GB (as in the whole Olympic team) as team of the year?

Edit: Is there a young personality too? In which case Simmonds must be a favourite for that, or Jade Jones

Lifetime acheivement could be Hoy, or Ainslie if he retires, but that is not confirmed.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

Just on Wiggins. There was a reporter on talksport this afternoon talking about the overwhelming evidence against Armstrong. He was asked if he thought that the sport and specifically the Sky team was now clean and he refused to give an answer. He also mentioned that the doctor who is affiliated to the team is known to have been involved with doping in the past. Interesting...