Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Just on Wiggins. There was a reporter on talksport this afternoon talking about the overwhelming evidence against Armstrong. He was asked if he thought that the sport and specifically the Sky team was now clean and he refused to give an answer. He also mentioned that the doctor who is affiliated to the team is known to have been involved with doping in the past. Interesting...

So Murray for SPOTY

Murray has been brilliant over the last few months and in most years he'd walk SPOTY. However, as the firstBbritish winner of the Tour and an Olympic gold medallist, (not forgetting the launch of his charity), the SPOTY has to be Wiggins. And after all, he does seem to have more of a personality which might make a difference in a sports personality poll!

Well wiggo and murray have both won something that British sportsmen rarely win, I guess its a matter of weighing up if murrays achievements of gold, wimbledon runner up and US open champion tops Wiggo's golds and first ever tdf title for a brit.

It depends when it is too, wiggo is currently in the tour of Britain, and if he wins that it will be another boost, and Murray has some more tennis to play, winning the final event of the calendar would help his chances, can't remember what it is called or where it is held this year, but it is a top 8 shoot out so quite prestigious.

It depends when it is too, wiggo is currently in the tour of Britain, and if he wins that it will be another boost, and Murray has some more tennis to play, winning the final event of the calendar would help his chances, can't remember what it is called or where it is held this year, but it is a top 8 shoot out so quite prestigious.

It's in London in November and I'm pretty sure quite a lot of it is on BBC. So if Murray wins that too he'll get a boost right before the SPOTY which is at the start of December, isn't it?

It's the ATP World Tour Finals, and it's currently being held at the O2 in London. Think it's got a couple of years left there before moving on.

Got to be Wiggo. Winning the Tour is an absurd demonstration of fitness and endurance no matter who wins, but to be the first Brit as well? And then follow that up by destroying the field in the Olympics road race? And he's a funny fcker. Will be gutted if he doesn't win.

Incredibly tough list really. You've got:

Bradley Wiggins

Chris Hoy

Jessica Ennis

Mo Farah

Andy Murray

Nicola Adams

Greg Rutherwood

I'm sure I'm forgetting some too. The bottom two don't really have much of a chance but on a lot of other years when people like AP McCoy have won it, they'd be head and shoulders above the rest.

Indeed, Jonathan Marray who, let's not forget, pipped Andy Murray at the post.

Indeed, Jonathan Marray who, let's not forget, pipped Andy Murray at the post.

lol dream on Shen!

I think it should be Wiggo regardless of what happens at the World Tour finals in November but certainly will be one of the closest contests between two British athletes who have actually acheived something spectacular I can remember for a very long time.

Incredibly tough list really. You've got:

Bradley Wiggins

Chris Hoy

Jessica Ennis

Mo Farah

Andy Murray

Nicola Adams

Greg Rutherwood

I'm sure I'm forgetting some too. The bottom two don't really have much of a chance but on a lot of other years when people like AP McCoy have won it, they'd be head and shoulders above the rest.

I know, but to reach a wimbledon final, win the olympic final and becoming the first Brit to win a grand slam in 76 years. I think that trumps the rest, I would have said Wiggins otherwise.

Trouble with cycling is, it is so riddled with drugs cheats that you can never be sure who is cheating and who isn't.

Ridiculous statement. Wiggins was subject to doping control tests after every stage when he was the overall leader of the GC. Plus, he will have been tested during the Olympics after he won gold in the TT. If he was a doping he'd have been caught by now.

Also, considering Wiggins' family background and his time at Cofidis, I think it's pretty safe to say he despises drug cheats.

I know, but to reach a wimbledon final, win the olympic final and becoming the first Brit to win a grand slam in 76 years. I think that trumps the rest, I would have said Wiggins otherwise.

But other than that he has had a relatively poor season, only other tournament win was the Brisbane international, which isn't even a masters event.

Wiggins has been a dominant force all year, and was the first Brit to ever win the TDF, add to that his olympic gold, and his selfless attempts to help Cavendish win gold, and other victories this year, I would still back him.

Murray achieved things very few Brits have done before, but Wiggins achieved something no Brit has ever achieved.

But other than that he has had a relatively poor season, only other tournament win was the Brisbane international, which isn't even a masters event.

Wiggins has been a dominant force all year, and was the first Brit to ever win the TDF, add to that his olympic gold, and his selfless attempts to help Cavendish win gold, and other victories this year, I would still back him.

Murray achieved things very few Brits have done before, but Wiggins achieved something no Brit has ever achieved.

Murray still got to the Semi final in Australia and also a Quarter final at Roland Garros, his performances at the master events haven't been great for sure but at the slams he has done fantastic in all.

I don't mind if Wiggins or Murray won it both would be well deserved winners.

Edited by shearfox

When push comes to shove Murray has had a great year in the major tournaments and that's all that matters.

He did well in Australia, Roland Garros was always going to be his hardest, Wimbledon final, Olympic Gold and Silver medal and now US Champion.

My top three would be Farah, Ennis and Murray but don't know which order.

Farah is just an amazing athlete, two gold medals is an incredible feat he is also a very respected guy aswell.

Ennis deserves to be in top three, poster girl, gold medal and a Woman deserves top three, get overlooked too many times.

Murray great year in Majors, Gold Medal and Grand Slam Champion, just awesome.

No doubt Wiggins will be in top three though and will probably win, but I can't stand the bloke, seems so cocky and arrogant.

As far as I can remember Murray has only won one match at a slam against opponents ranked higher than him, and that was Djoko in the last one,

I know that there are only 3 players ranked above him in the world, and I'm not including the Olympics, but that is not a great record in the slams, he has had a very very very good year, but Wiggo has had a legendary year.

I think it should be Wiggins, purely based on the fact that Murray will have more years and opportunities like this, and Wiggins will not.

In fact I reckon Murray, now he's won his first, will win at least one more Slam next year. That should be the SPOTY in the bag for him in 2013...so let Wiggins have it this year. Don't really think anyone else is in the frame to win it.

As far as I can remember Murray has only won one match at a slam against opponents ranked higher than him, and that was Djoko in the last one,

I know that there are only 3 players ranked above him in the world, and I'm not including the Olympics, but that is not a great record in the slams, he has had a very very very good year, but Wiggo has had a legendary year.

US Open 2008 SF, beat Nadal

Aus Open 2010 QF, beat Nadal

There are also several other examples, beating Roddick at Wimbledon 2006 for instance of Murray beating higher ranked players at the time. Murray has been concentrating massively on slams this year, he's been there and done it at the Masters Series events, all his preparation this year was geared to performing at slams, he's done it.

US Open 2008 SF, beat Nadal

Aus Open 2010 QF, beat Nadal

There are also several other examples, beating Roddick at Wimbledon 2006 for instance of Murray beating higher ranked players at the time. Murray has been concentrating massively on slams this year, he's been there and done it at the Masters Series events, all his preparation this year was geared to performing at slams, he's done it.

I mean this years achievements, despite the fact he won the US open, he hasn't really surpassed any expectations, and generally underperformed outside the slams, whilst at the slams he did well, he lost to Djoko (AUS), Federer (UK) and Ferrer (FRA), and didn't beat any of the top 3 until the final of the US.

Obviously the Olympics and US open were great achievements, but SPOTY takes the whole year into account, and not just the last 2 months. Wiggins has been successful all year.

To compare:

Wiggins:

In 2012 Wiggins' focus remained on road racing. The individual pursuit is no longer an Olympic event, and in December 2011 coach Rod Ellingworth told The Guardian, "The chances of him doing the team pursuit are really slim now".[59] He began his 2012 season with 3rd place in the 2012 Volta ao Algarve, including victory in the race-concluding time trial, edging out world champion Tony Martin by less than a second.[60] Wiggins also helped with team-mate Richie Porte's successful bid to win the race overall. In March, Wiggins finished 2nd to Vacansoleil-DCM's Gustav Larsson in the opening time trial of 2012 Paris–Nice, despite setting his time in wet conditions. The following day he took the lead of the race after being part of a 30-man breakaway as the peloton split into echelons. He held the lead for the rest of the race, winning the final stage, a time-trial on the Col d'Èze,[61] despite a strong challenge from Dutch rider Lieuwe Westra, of the Vacansoleil-DCM team. Starting the final 9.6 km (6.0 mi) stage with a 6-second lead, Wiggins beat Westra's time by two seconds, to win the race by eight seconds overall, becoming the first British rider to win the race since Tom Simpson in 1967.[62] His final stage victory was also good enough to give him the points classification ahead of Alejandro Valverde.[63]

In April Wiggins took a rare sprint victory from a group of 59 riders on stage 1 of the 2012 Tour de Romandie.[64] He lost the jersey to Luis León Sánchez after Sánchez won two consecutive stages.[65] However, Wiggins won the final time trial, despite suffering a dropped chain, to take the overall victory.[66] He became the first British rider to ever win the event.

Wiggins began defending his 2012 Critérium du Dauphiné title in June, with a 2nd place finish in the race-commencing prologue, 1.35 seconds behind Orica-GreenEDGE rider Luke Durbridge.[67][68] He assumed the race leadership the following day, after Durbridge was dropped on one of the stage's six climbs. Wiggins won the stage 4 of the race, a 53.5 km (33.2 mi) time trial, by 34 seconds over his nearest rival, world champion Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) to extend his race lead to 38 seconds over Martin.[69] Wiggins held the race lead to the end, eventually winning by over a minute from team-mate Michael Rogers.[70]

Wiggins wearing the yellow jersey on his way to victory on the stage 19 time trial of the 2012 Tour de France

He entered the 2012 Tour de France as one of the favourites for overall victory. Wiggins began the Tour with second place in the prologue, behind Fabian Cancellara but taking time from all of his general classification rivals, finally taking the yellow jersey by finishing third on the first mountain top finish on stage 7. In doing so, he became only the second British rider to have led all three Grand Tours after David Millar. Wiggins won stage 9, an individual time trial, which ultimately helped him increase his lead over his competitors.[71]

On stage 10, Wiggins and his team were able to stave off an attack by Vincenzo Nibali on the descent of the Grand Columbier, leading Nibali to accuse Wiggins of showing him a lack of respect.[72] Wiggins extended his lead on stage 11 after Chris Froome helped him to bridge across to Nibali and Jurgen Vandenbroeck, who had attacked on the finishing climb to La Toussuire, while Cadel Evans was dropped and slipped to 4th overall, behind Froome and Nibali. Froome had appeared to put Wiggins into difficulty at one point, and was ordered to wait for his leader.[73][74] For his efforts in assisting Wiggins, Froome was lauded in the media as a super-domestique,[75] and conceded that he was frustrated at being second fiddle, but vowed to help Wiggins win the Tour de France.[76] Stage 12 passed without much incident with Wiggins maintaining his two minute lead over Froome. Stage 13 and 14, demonstrated Wiggins' sportsmanship. Wiggins rode a strong race in stage 13, leading the peloton and overtaking the leading group who had fallen back. Wiggins was in first, but instead of taking the stage win for himself, he slowed down to try (unsuccessfully) to lead his team-mate, Edvald Boasson Hagen to victory, but he maintained his own lead in the general classification.[77]

Stage 14, a mountain stage, was remembered for a sabotage incident involving a spectator throwing carpet tacks onto the narrow road at the top of the climb of the Mur de Péguère.[78] The tacks inflicted a number of punctures for a number of riders, including the defending champion and Wiggins's rival for the yellow jersey, Cadel Evans, who lost approximately two minutes as his team repaired his bicycle. Wiggins and his Team Sky team-mates emerged from the incident without a puncture. In response to the incident, Wiggins instructed his team-mates and competitors in the peloton to slow down to allow Evans and the affected cyclists to catch up – believing that a puncture resulting from an unfortunate incident should not determine the fate of a competitor.[79] Evans and others duly caught up with the peloton, which remained together for the rest of the race, resulting in little change to the general classification. The act was perceived as a generous act of sportsmanship and Wiggins was called "Le Gentleman" following the race.[80] On stage 16, Wiggins and Froome were able to follow attacks by Nibali on the final climb of the day, and finished with the same time as the Italian to consolidate their positions.[81]

Wiggins won the time trial at the 2012 Summer Olympics.

On stage 17, the final mountain stage, Froome and Wiggins finished together in second and third place respectively and taking further time from all of their rivals to put Wiggins on the verge of victory.[82][83] He further solidified his position by winning the stage 19 time trial, and opening a likely insurmountable lead of 3:21 heading into the final stage.[84] On the final stage, Wiggins led out Mark Cavendish to his 4th consecutive victory on the Champs-Élysées, confirming his overall victory in the process. Wiggins became the first, and is currently the only person in history to win the Paris-Nice, the Tour de Romandie, Critérium du Dauphiné and Tour de France in one single season.[85] On 23 July, Queen Elizabeth II issued a message of congratulation: "I send you my warmest congratulations on becoming the first British cyclist ever to win the Tour de France. Your historic achievement of claiming overall victory in this prestigious event is a great testament to the efforts of you and your teammates."[86]

Wiggins rang the bell to start the opening ceremony at the 2012 Summer Olympics.[87] He was selected to participate in two road cycling events at the Olympics – the time trial and the road race. Wiggins along with David Millar, Ian Stannard, Chris Froome aimed to guide the team's sprinter, Mark Cavendish to victory in the road race.[88] However, after the team tried to control the entire race, a large breakaway formed on the final ascent of Box Hill in Surrey, and despite Wiggins' best efforts Team GB could not bring back the leaders, with Cavendish eventually finishing 40 seconds behind winner Alexander Vinokourov.[89] Wiggins won gold in the time trial at the 2012 Summer Olympics, ahead of Tony Martin of Germany and team-mate Chris Froome. He became the most decorated British Olympian in the process, with seven medals in total, surpassing the six won by Steve Redgrave. This record is now shared with Chris Hoy who also obtained his 7th Olympic medal in the Olympics.[90]

After a post-Olympic break, Wiggins plans to racing at the 2012 Tour of Britain. He will participate in the road race at the 2012 UCI Road World Championships, but not in the time trial.[91] Wiggins has also hinted he may return to track cycling at the Six Days of Ghent in November.[92]

Murray:

With Ivan Lendl as his new full-time coach,[113] Murray began the season by playing in the 2012 Brisbane International. He overcame a slow start in his first two matches to win his 22nd title by beating Alexandr Dolgopolov in the final.[114] In doubles, he lost in the quarterfinals against second seeds Jürgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner in a tight match.[115] After an exhibition tournament,[116] Murray made it to the semi-finals of the Australian Open, where he was defeated by Djokovic in a four hour-and 50 minute match.[117]

At the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Murray defeated Djokovic in the semi-finals, but lost in the final to Roger Federer.[118] After an early defeat at the BNP Paribas Open, Murray made the finals of the Miami Masters, losing to Djokovic.[119] Murray then had quarterfinal losses at the Monte Carlo Masters and Barcelona Open, and a third round loss at the Italian Open.[119] Murray battled back spasms all through the French Open and in the quarterfinals he was beaten by David Ferrer.[120]

Murray lost in the opening round of the Queen's Club Championships to World No. 65 Nicolas Mahut.[121] At Wimbledon Murray set the record for the latest ever finish at the championships, when he completed a four-set victory over Marcos Baghdatis at 23:02 BST.[122] Murray beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final in four sets to become the first male British player to reach the final of Wimbledon since Bunny Austin in 1938.[123] In the final he faced Federer, but after taking the first set he lost the match in four sets.[124]

Murray next competed at the London 2012 Summer Olympics in singles, doubles and mixed doubles. He partnered his brother Jamie Murray in doubles and suffered a first-round exit to Austria (Jürgen Melzer and Alexander Peya) in three sets.[125] In the mixed doubles, Murray was partnered by Laura Robson. They made it all the way to the finals where they lost to the Belarusian No.1 seeds (Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi) in three sets, settling for the silver medal. In singles, Murray lost only one set on his way to the finals where he met Federer, defeating him in straight sets.[119] By winning the Olympic gold medal, Murray became the first British man to win the Olympic Singles gold medal in tennis since Josiah Ritchie in 1908.[126]

Murray retired early in the Rogers Cup due to a knee injury, and suffered a third round defeat to unseeded Jeremy Chardy at the Cincinnati Masters in straight sets. He next competed in the final major of the season at the US Open. He cruised through his opening two rounds in straight sets against Alex Bogomolov and Ivan Dodig, before facing a tough four set battle with Feliciano Lopez, where Murray had to win three tie-break sets. In the fourth round, he defeated the Canadian Milos Raonic is straight sets and then in the quarter finals, had to come from a set and two breaks down against Marin Cilic to prevail in four. In the semi-finals, he defeated Tomáš Berdych in a long-fought match that lasted almost four hours, to reach his second consecutive Grand Slam final. Murray defeated Djokovic in five sets, making him the first British man to win a Grand Slam final since Fred Perry in 1936[127] and the first Scottish-born player to win a Grand Slam final since Harold Mahony in 1896.[128] The win would also set several records for Murray: it involved the longest tie break in US Open Final history at 12–10 in the first set, it made Murray the first man ever to win an Olympic gold medal and the US Open in the same year, and it tied with the 1988 US Open final (in which Murray's coach Lendl competed) as the longest final in the tournament's history.[129]

Having read those 2 summaries of their year, it has to be Wiggins, especially considering the way he also cycles for others at times, and his reaction to the sabotage incident.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

The maximum number of top 3 players Murray could face before a final is 1 anyhow. Bit harsh to say he didn't meet any top 3 players at the US until the final, given that it would only have been possible to meet 1 (Federer) at the SF stage anyhow. Based on your points, Murray has won 1/3 against higher ranked players at slams this year, and 2/2 at the Olympics (including a 5 set final), it's not really a bad strike rate. I'd say an Olympic Gold, US Open title and WImbledon final is probably surpassing expectations, given that the slams are the absolute holy grail of tennis and the Olympics bridging the gap between Slams and Masters Series. Not sure a couple of extra titles at Indian Wells and Cincinnati, for instance, would make that much difference to the general public. Of course, there is the historical angle as well, which applies to both Wiggins and Murray.

For the record, I think Wiggins will win, and it would be absolutely deserved but Murray's achievements should not be underplayed to justify it.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

The maximum number of top 3 players Murray could face before a final is 1 anyhow. Bit harsh to say he didn't meet any top 3 players at the US until the final, given that it would only have been possible to meet 1 (Federer) at the SF stage anyhow. Based on your points, Murray has won 1/3 against higher ranked players at slams this year, and 2/2 at the Olympics (including a 5 set final), it's not really a bad strike rate. I'd say an Olympic Gold, US Open title and WImbledon final is probably surpassing expectations, given that the slams are the absolute holy grail of tennis and the Olympics bridging the gap between Slams and Masters Series. Not sure a couple of extra titles at Indian Wells and Cincinnati, for instance, would make that much difference to the general public. Of course, there is the historical angle as well, which applies to both Wiggins and Murray.

For the record, I think Wiggins will win, and it would be absolutely deserved but Murray's achievements should not be underplayed to justify it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising Murray and am a big fan of his, cut, when comparing 2 people that have had fantastic years and achieved a lot you need to look at who had the better year. Normally Murray will win 3 or 4 masters and atp events, but he didn't perform well outside the slams, and at the slams he did well and but he still fell at the first serious challenge in all except the US.

Just comparing with Wiggins who won the big events and a number of others, to me makes a better year.