Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Guest MattP

Queens club was fantastic last week. Probably my new favourite tennis venue.

Saw Andy Murray earlier tthis week in the Montcalm hotel, he was going up a lift carrying a pot of Scottish thistles lol

Edited by MattP

Queens club was fantastic last week. Probably my new favourite tennis venue.

Saw Andy Murray earlier tthis week in the Montcalm hotel, he was going up a lift carrying a pot of Scottish thistles lol

Heard Queens does come pretty highly recommended, just wish they'd make a bit more noise when a home player is playing.  :P

You get to see Murray play?

Guest MattP

Heard Queens does come pretty highly recommended, just wish they'd make a bit more noise when a home player is playing.  :P

You get to see Murray play?

lol They are far too busy sipping champagne to even watch it half them time, never seen a crowd like it!

Yes watched Murray v Becker, shame it wasn't a bit more competitive but the German did well.

Utter cakewalk draw for Djokovic, can't see him losing before the final barring Berdych going on one of his hot streaks. Ferrer is tough on any surface but he offers no weapons on grass. Haas in R4 might be entertaining though.

Murrays draw is simple up until the SF when it takes a massive jump to uber-tough. Tsonga is the ideal QF opponent and there's no one before that to really threaten him. Shame both Nadal and Federer ended up in his half - small mercy I guess that he just has to play one of them. On the flip side, that means if he does make it to the final he'll have the confidence and a partisan crowd behind him, rather than playing against Fed/Nadal where it would be more split. Still wish that Nadal would have been in Djoko's half, though.

Both Fed and Nadals draws are tough by virtue of having to face each other, and Nadal has a tough potential R4 in Wawrinka. That being said, I expect them both to make it to face each other. 

As an aside, poor Tsonga has Goffin R1, Gulbis R2, Bennateau R3 and Cilic R4 - that's as nightmarish a draw on grass as I can think of. Real possibility he won't make it through to face Murray.

Edited by leicsmac

As an aside, poor Tsonga has Goffin R1, Gulbis R2, Bennateau R3 and Cilic R4 - that's as nightmarish a draw on grass as I can think of. Real possibility he won't make it through to face Murray.

Agreed, that is one nasty looking draw for Tsonga.

I think Murray will be pretty happy with the draw. Should be a very interesting Wimbledon. I believe it will be a Murray Djo final but to call that now would be very difficult.

I'm going for a Murray - Djok final

Murray has made the last 3 slam finals bar the French (which he didnt play) so it is obviously a massive possibility. With Nadal back and looking as good as ever though its going to require Murray at his absolute best to do so. That slam win is going to give Murray that extra confidence in the tight matches against the best.

Having thought about it some, it's actually Nadal I fear most as a Murray fan in this competition. Old injury or no, he's beaten Murray here a few times before, whereas Murray has good grasscourt wins against both Federer and Djokovic to his credit. I'd much rather Fed roll back the years and put Nadal out in the QF so Murray has to face him. 

I also think that if Murray does make the final, the crowd will be fully behind him (unlike last year - Fed and Nadal tend to divide local support wherever they go), and that combined with confidence from seeing off either Fed or Nadal will be enough to beat anyone - even Djoko.

Utter cakewalk draw for Djokovic, can't see him losing before the final barring Berdych going on one of his hot streaks. Ferrer is tough on any surface but he offers no weapons on grass. Haas in R4 might be entertaining though.

Murrays draw is simple up until the SF when it takes a massive jump to uber-tough. Tsonga is the ideal QF opponent and there's no one before that to really threaten him. Shame both Nadal and Federer ended up in his half - small mercy I guess that he just has to play one of them. On the flip side, that means if he does make it to the final he'll have the confidence and a partisan crowd behind him, rather than playing against Fed/Nadal where it would be more split. Still wish that Nadal would have been in Djoko's half, though.

Both Fed and Nadals draws are tough by virtue of having to face each other, and Nadal has a tough potential R4 in Wawrinka. That being said, I expect them both to make it to face each other. 

Fair for Djokovic considering he was drawn in the same half as Nadal at Roland Garros . A Nadal/Federer quarter final sets up perfectly for Murray to dispatch the winner should they go to 5 sets. Djokovic/Murray final for me. However, Cilic/Tsonga and potentially even Tipsarevic could cause Murray a few problems in his quarter. 

Edited by Father Ted

Fair for Djokovic considering he was drawn in the same half as Nadal at Roland Garros . A Nadal/Federer quarter final sets up perfectly for Murray to dispatch the winner should they go to 5 sets. Djokovic/Murray final for me. However, Cilic/Tsonga and potentially even Tipsarevic could cause Murray a few problems in his quarter. 

I'd favour Nadal against Murray unfortuantley Andy doesn't turn up against Nadal in slams. Fortuantley I think Fed might just have enough with Nadals injurys, plus there is the roof factor that if it rains Federer immediatley becomes faviourate to beat anyone, it will be an interesting side of the draw. The other not so much lol.

Anyway, 10 British players in the draw, a lot playing today, can see most of them going out lol.

I'd favour Nadal against Murray unfortuantley Andy doesn't turn up against Nadal in slams. Fortuantley I think Fed might just have enough with Nadals injurys, plus there is the roof factor that if it rains Federer immediatley becomes faviourate to beat anyone, it will be an interesting side of the draw. The other not so much lol.

Anyway, 10 British players in the draw, a lot playing today, can see most of them going out lol.

He does occasionally (has beaten him at the Aus Open and the US Open), but yes Nadal at Wimbledon is a huge block for Murray. Hopefully as you say Fed can roll back the years with the roof closed against Nadal in the QF then have one of his off days in the blazing sunshine against Murray in the SF.  :P

Something to pass the time at work for two weeks.

Women's is always more interesting and not just for the obvious reason, but it's a lot less predictable than the men's.

Still should be a great tournament.