Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nugent

Videos

Don't have time to watch all of that but I've seen the first 5 minutes.

What are the tangible long term benefits of it?

That's not a dig, I'm genuinely interested.

I don't mind genuine interest and sensible non-mocking questions.

The benefits enable those those involved to have a purpose in their life. They gain confidence which may have been lost for several reasons including abusem living in child care homes and disowned by parents. They can then learn to fend for themselves and find their own place to live and a job thus contributing by paying taxes. Something a lot of people say they should do. This is only a small part of the benefits. They are the ones best qualified to say what they have gained.

A person I know who volunteers with me was living in a hostel last year, suffered with depression and suicidal tendencies. Since doing the work he has found a place to live, full of confidence and even presents a radio spot on a radio station. To me that is a positive step. There are others like him and if the football and other activities helps to change peoples lives around it can only be a good thing.

I see your point, but "gaining confidence" and "having a purposein life" is not measurable via a football tournament.

And how long after an international football tournament does that confidence/sense of purpose last? What happens after the tournament to get them into work? Are they rushed through coaching courses and become football coaches?

I am confident that I can perform a job emptying bins and sweeping roads. I don't do that for a living because I'm also confident in my current job

And I'm sure these fellas could do that too and it would be a lot cheaper and they would still have a sense of purpose.

Again, it's not a dig but it seems like an expensive idea that to me doesn't seem to give a proper solution.

I hope that makes some kind of sense, I'm on my phone.

Its not so much the tournament but being involved with other people. Another lad I know became homeless when he andhis GF split up. He had nowhere to go and was in line for a good job. The split him hard and he ended up in a hostel. With some help he enrolled for courses such as IT and joined the running club for Action Homeless. Last year he and others represented AH in the Leicester Marathon. He now does more courses volunteering at Apex in the canteen and has ambitions to be a chef. He is now so determined he will do it. He said he has three goals. One to find a place to live. Done. get a good job. Done and settle down with a family. He is young and has time on his side but he will do it.