Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yet a very wealthy man is taking £10m to add to his already bulging wallet and thats OK? Lycett is clearly someone who cares about those less well off, you only have to watch his stuff to know that, and I imagine he would rather not do this, but the shock value makes people sit up and listen. There's one way it could stop, that aforementioned wealthy man could respond, or promise to use that £10m for good, but he won't, because he'll do anything for a little extra cash to his pile, whist half the country who worship him struggle to live.

I agree with what you’re saying, but to add more shame to the puppet, he’s actually receiving 150million from the Qatar.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

At this point perhaps a famous commandment (paraphrased from @Finnegan remarks about musicians a while back) should be repeated:

Thou Shalt Not Put Any Famous Person (except possibly Frederick Rogers and David Attenborough) On Pedestals Because They Are Never Perfect.

I'll happily take credit for this but I in turn was almost certainly quoting Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip.

Great song. And some great commandments. Although the 3rd Commandment probably does contradict a few of the others, including the one you're referencing. lol

(Also, poor Danny Glover.)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

RMT and the cowards that hide behind them with a second honourable mention from me. 

Got a problem with your employer? Boo fvcking hoo. Poor you. 

Cost me just over a thousand pounds in November and will be about the same this month. That make you happy? 

Fvck off back to the seventies. 

Cvnts. 

Edited by Milo

39 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They've completely lost the plot on trans nonsense.

I'm sure that people I care for deeply will be thrilled to know that their lives, difficult as they always are, continue to be a punchline for some folks who have not the slightest idea of what they go through.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sure that people I care for deeply will be thrilled to know that their lives, difficult as they always are, continue to be a punchline for some folks who have not the slightest idea of what they go through.

I have huge sympathy for people who are struggling with such issues, however this is not a justification for impinging on women's rights, and the unquestioning irreversible mistreatment of children without properly considering root cause or consequences.  Stonewall have been and continue to be a part of the shouting down of proper debate which helps no one, least of all those in the most need of help.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

I have huge sympathy for people who are struggling with such issues, however this is not a justification for impinging on women's rights, and the unquestioning irreversible mistreatment of children without properly considering root cause or consequences.  Stonewall have been and continue to be a part of the shouting down of proper debate which helps no one, least of all those in the most need of help.

Given your commentary on the topic in the past, I'm sorry, but I don't think I believe you on this one Jon.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Given your commentary on the topic in the past, I'm sorry, but I don't think I believe you on this one Jon.

I am a great believer in people living their lives as they wish, I just think this current TRA driven campaign is about the exact opposite.  Mostly dominated by angry men shouting at women standing up for their rights - how can that possibly be a good thing?  How can the shutting down of debate be a good thing?  How can employers discriminating against people who belove in biological fact be a good thing?  Forced ideology is always bad imo.  I am also reasonably convinced the huge increase in young teenage girls who think they are boys is social contagion, and they are not being helped.  Those who detransition are being shouted down, but surely they have something important to say?  Such huge decisions should be be made by children, or indeed those who think they should be made by children.  See Mermaids - people are going to end up in jail and rightly so.  

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am a great believer in people living their lives as they wish, I just think this current TRA driven campaign is about the exact opposite.  Mostly dominated by angry men shouting at women standing up for their rights - how can that possibly be a good thing?  How can the shutting down of debate be a good thing?  How can employers discriminating against people who belove in biological fact be a good thing?  Forced ideology is always bad imo.  I am also reasonably convinced the huge increase in young teenage girls who think they are boys is social contagion, and they are not being helped.  Those who detransition are being shouted down, but surely they have something important to say?  Such huge decisions should be be made by children, or indeed those who think they should be made by children.  See Mermaids - people are going to end up in jail and rightly so.  

I rather think these two parts contradict each other. If you really believed that people could live their lives as they wish, the second bolded part wouldn't be an issue for you.

Anyhow, my own take is that the deck is still stacked against trans folks in terms of social perception and rights in the UK and elsewhere (and I think that's reasonably obvious tbh) and while the discussion of it all requires nuance, for every situation where someone detransitions and/or a big brouhaha is brought by the right-wing press regarding "won't someone please think of the children?!!!11111", there are ten, or even a hundred, cases of trans adults facing discrimination both social and institutional simply because they are trying to adjust themselves to live their lives in a way they feel OK with, or even to save their own lives by doing so, while actually harming no one.

NB. Come back to me when that "biological fact" (which beyond GSCE Science textbook level isn't all that cut and dried at all) actually means everything in terms of social interaction, viz. we're using chromosomal data to identify the sex of people on sight and basing our perception of them on that, rather than secondary characteristics.

46 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

people are free to think what they want, as long as its what i believe

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I rather think these two parts contradict each other. If you really believed that people could live their lives as they wish, the second bolded part wouldn't be an issue for you.

Anyhow, my own take is that the deck is still stacked against trans folks in terms of social perception and rights in the UK and elsewhere (and I think that's reasonably obvious tbh) and while the discussion of it all requires nuance, for every situation where someone detransitions and/or a big brouhaha is brought by the right-wing press regarding "won't someone please think of the children?!!!11111", there are ten, or even a hundred, cases of trans adults facing discrimination both social and institutional simply because they are trying to adjust themselves to live their lives in a way they feel OK with, or even to save their own lives by doing so, while actually harming no one.

NB. Come back to me when that "biological fact" (which beyond GSCE Science textbook level isn't all that cut and dried at all) actually means everything in terms of social interaction, viz. we're using chromosomal data to identify the sex of people on sight and basing our perception of them on that, rather than secondary characteristics.

Adults can live as they wish, society has a duty of care to children which it is failing.  Medical professionals should carefully consider whether someone who is about to go through live changing permanent treatment might have reasons which are worth looking into for that.  We have not been doing that and this is a problem.

Biological fact is perfectly clear cut, we are either make or female biologically (even if things very occasionally are not obvious) means lots of things medically and physiologically, but clearly not so much socially beyond stereotypes which people have spent a lot of years overcoming.  Which makes it even stranger that the likes of Mermaids use those stereotypes to "identify" potential trans kids.  These things are important and should be questioned.  

Another Guardian journalist quit this week because they have been told they as a woman will not be allowed to write on gender.  This is bad for our predominant left wing paper.  Where is the journalistic integrity?

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Adults can live as they wish, society has a duty of care to children which it is failing.  Medical professionals should carefully consider whether someone who is about to go through live changing permanent treatment might have reasons which are worth looking into for that.  We have not been doing that and this is a problem.

Biological fact is perfectly clear cut, we are either make or female biologically (even if things very occasionally are not obvious) means lots of things medically and physiologically, but clearly not so much socially beyond stereotypes which people have spent a lot of years overcoming.  Which makes it even stranger that the likes of Mermaids use those stereotypes to "identify" potential trans kids.  These things are important and should be questioned.  

Another Guardian journalist quit this week because they have been told they as a woman will not be allowed to write on gender.  This is bad for our predominant left wing paper.  Where is the journalistic integrity?

Three paragraphs, two false. and one im yet to seee fulkl detail for.

What you "believe" isnt fact.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

More often than people with red hair, as it happens, and so this somewhat invalidates the statement before.

In any case, my argument about the vastly bigger problem stands and I think I'll leave it at that.

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

They've completely lost the plot on trans nonsense.

I've not been too aware of their trans activism just the great things they do and have done to support young people struggling with their sexuality.

Trans rights is a very tricky issue and there are some areas which are paradoxical and contradictory and almost impossible to resolve. Having watched one friend transition I'm aware of how much hormones can change someone's personality. They are essentially a completely different person now and not really much happier. I just dearly wish that everyone felt free to be who they are and act how they want without persecution and judgement so there was no need to take personality changing hormones and have expensive, invasive surgery to feel like they fit in somewhere. Until that happens we need groups like Stonewall to push and promote the trans agenda and the powers that be to listen and make things easier for people struggling with their identity.

• Like 2