Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Evidently we do disagree on who the snake oil salesmen were, and I think that's because we also disagree on what snake oil is.

Other parties may have enacted restrictions regarding the Covid vaccines, but it is a matter of statistical fact that the vaccine itself was both necessary and effective (if only slightly in some cases) at preventing a much worse crisis than the world had. They really were not "snake oil".

As per above, I share some scepticism regarding those with power. But as I said on the Covid thread many times, I don't share such scepticism when the opposition is a proven harmful force of nature that cannot and will not stop unless it is stopped by human effort and cognition.

Yup, fair points. But remain unconvinced the means justified the ends. 

The elderly and at risk, take it like they'd take a flu jab. Fair enough. The young and healthy, again, take it voluntarily as they'd might choose to do with a flu jab. 

Locking everyone up til they'd taken it, regardless of a everso slightly heightened risk? Nah. Far too draconian. I can't be swayed from that view. Sorry x

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

The elderly and at risk, take it like they'd take a flu jab. Fair enough. The young and healthy, again, take it voluntarily as they'd might choose to do with a flu jab. 

Locking everyone up til they'd taken it, regardless of a everso slightly heightened risk? Nah. Far too draconian. I can't be swayed from that view. Sorry x

Fair enough.

I fear the next natural crisis may make Covid look very small, though. And I fear more what will happen to society when the response required to fight it occurs, too.

31 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

But you're not taking into account the fact that young people having the vaccine reduced the risk of them spreading the infection. It wasn't just about personal protection it was about building up enough herd immunity to protect the vulnerable and stop the spread. We've done that and now have a viable vaccine that will become available like the flu shot and keep it under control.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Sadly it's also not quite true...

He posted four days ago that he was in Romania.

Rumour has it that in Romania you need proof somone is in the house to get a "search warrant"..dunno... either way... lol

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I couldn't then - nor still now - believe how compliant the public was. 

Nor me in truth, but I suspect we might see different sides of it. 

I was impressed that the vast majority did as requested (for the NHS, or whatever personal reasons) despite the obvious uncertainty and dubiousness that was floating around, and the tensions as it continued on. It gave me cause for hope that people can put their own thoughts aside and act together when and if they have to.

I see it as a ray of hope if we do again have to act together on such issues as climate change, etc. We might all get it wrong but at least we'll get it wrong (largely) together! ;)

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But you're not taking into account the fact that young people having the vaccine reduced the risk of them spreading the infection. It wasn't just about personal protection it was about building up enough herd immunity to protect the vulnerable and stop the spread. We've done that and now have a viable vaccine that will become available like the flu shot and keep it under control.

I get the argument, but we were as good as forced to take it. That's wrong. If people had chosen to take a vaccine not for their own good, but for the good of others, that's kinda a selfless personal choice. But, we were given Hobson's choice....take the vaccine or we make life incredibly difficult for you. That's coercion 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

It’s easy to look back now but I and several others on here work in healthcare and pre-vaccine were seeing healthy people in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s hooked up to ventilators en masse due to covid. Now I appreciate there has been harms linked to the vaccine but it was really, really bleak pre-vaccine. From the scientists I follow, you always wanted your first exposure to the virus to be the vaccine. Once you’ve had the first two vaccines then young people probably shouldn’t be having any more. But I just want to throw in there how appalling the situation was pre-vaccination. 

Memory (in this case of the period under pandemic and the reasons for restrictions)  is usually pretty poor when it comes to context and perspective. I generally equate it to being at the dentist. It’s often akin to hell whilst you’re in the chair but a few months later, you make another appointment…..

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, taupe said:

Nor me in truth, but I suspect we might see different sides of it. 

I was impressed that the vast majority did as requested (for the NHS, or whatever personal reasons) despite the obvious uncertainty and dubiousness that was floating around, and the tensions as it continued on. It gave me cause for hope that people can put their own thoughts aside and act together when and if they have to.

I see it as a ray of hope if we do again have to act together on such issues as climate change, etc. We might all get it wrong but at least we'll get it wrong (largely) together! ;)

Here's hoping we don't get it wrong.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Memory is usually pretty poor when it comes to context and perspective

Yes, we adjust the memory to conform with our changing perspectives and current contexts. Indeed, I think the act of remembering/recalling a memory reshapes it, adds a bit of the 'now' to it. No criticism of anyone intended by that BTW, we all do it. 

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Sadly it's also not quite true...

He posted four days ago that he was in Romania.

A post 4 days ago doesn't really prove much for two men with access to private jets that regularly fly to several countries every week though. Not to say the pizza box thing is true but rather to say hos tweet 4 days ago saying he's in the country doesn't hold much when they needed to be certain him and his brother were both there. 

I just saw an interview with Tate on us tv - he was released within an hour. He says he was the victim of a dodgy phone call tip off and that he is guilty of nothing, presumably, if what I’d read (also on Twitter) about what he’d been accused of was true, then he wouldn’t be free within an hour 

EDIT:  apparently this was an old interview 

Edited by st albans fox

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I just saw an interview with Tate on us tv - he was released within an hour. He says he was the victim of a dodgy phone call tip off and that he is guilty of nothing, presumably, if what I’d read (also on Twitter) about what he’d been accused of was true, then he wouldn’t be free within an hour 

Whilst always innocent until proved otherwise....I dont imagine police forces go to that amount of trouble for no reason

Edited by ozleicester

28 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I get the argument, but we were as good as forced to take it. That's wrong. If people had chosen to take a vaccine not for their own good, but for the good of others, that's kinda a selfless personal choice. But, we were given Hobson's choice....take the vaccine or we make life incredibly difficult for you. That's coercion 

Nobody was forced to take it, but consideration of others had to be taken into account. If you're referring to the rules on flying, they had banned all flights for a while. Then had to open it up safely and the safest way to do that was by only allowing vaccinated people to travel. Same with everything else, it was a choice of nothing, or something but that something still had to be controlled. It was a crazy few years and you can argue that we handled something's badly but the vaccine and the roll out and the controlled return back to normal was generally well thought out and minimised risk.

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I'm sure that's an interview from when he was previously arrested on suspicion of the same kind of things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

On topic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64128616

30 days detained, then.

So held for 30 days. charged with human trafficking..  ffs.... but NOT related to the pizza boxes. lol 

awww
May be a meme of 2 people and text that says "We asked a 100 people to name something served with pizza. You said, an arrest warrant BIG OFTHE THEMEM MEME"

Edited by ozleicester

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

An accurate summation.

Oh, and I did get to see your thoughts yesterday before they got 86ed. I'll say simply that I won't deny it.

It wasn’t a criticism as I wasn’t suggesting any intention to mislead but I think you understood that. If you had denied it I’d have been surprised and disappointed. 

• Like 1

Luton - for being a shithole and for producing more than it’s fair share of grade A c***s.

Tate

Charles Bronson (of Woodhill HMP, not the actor)

Tommy Robinson

Anjem Chowdhury

And although she doesn’t qualify for this thread the annoying Stacey Dooley is also from Luton

Edited by Mike Oxlong