Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

21 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I get the argument, but we were as good as forced to take it. That's wrong. If people had chosen to take a vaccine not for their own good, but for the good of others, that's kinda a selfless personal choice. But, we were given Hobson's choice....take the vaccine or we make life incredibly difficult for you. That's coercion 

The virus doesn’t care about your personal choice. Science has a funny habit of poking fun at prejudice.

For the purposes of clarity I should point out that I don't see the young lady at the centre of this story as the absolute c*** in this, as although she's done dreadful, dreadful things, something has gone very, very wrong at some point in her life to turn out like that.

For me the c***s are the hundreds, probably thousands of people ready to jump on a social media bandwagon without stopping to think for a second whether what's being put out there is actually true, and then themselves behave terribly based on nothing at all

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/04/how-eleanor-williamss-lies-about-grooming-and-abuse-unravelled

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

For the purposes of clarity I should point out that I don't see the young lady at the centre of this story as the absolute c*** in this, as although she's done dreadful, dreadful things, something has gone very, very wrong at some point in her life to turn out like that.

For me the c***s are the hundreds, probably thousands of people ready to jump on a social media bandwagon without stopping to think for a second whether what's being put out there is actually true, and then themselves behave terribly based on nothing at all

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/04/how-eleanor-williamss-lies-about-grooming-and-abuse-unravelled

... and some folks still maintain that "only words" aren't harmful and can't have a destructive effect on someone's life.

41 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... and some folks still maintain that "only words" aren't harmful and can't have a destructive effect on someone's life.

well, in fairness, it's not the words that do that. It's certain people's reaction to those words. But, yes, I get what you're saying.

12 minutes ago, taupe said:

well, in fairness, it's not the words that do that. It's certain people's reaction to those words. But, yes, I get what you're saying.

Seeing as those reactions would in all likelihood never have happened if the words hadn't been spoken or written....

But yeah, I hope I'm being clear here.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's just all kinds of messed up.

That original post is just so graphic and believable you can't blame people for being taken in by it, but the response to it is just insane and highlights the tensions running beneath surface of our "civilised society".

• Like 2

I sympathise so much for those men that were vilified and hung out to dry on the back of absolute nothing. 'Ellie' played a blinder on them all - she went to such lengths to make such believable stories but to self-harm in such a brutal way is what is extremely disturbing.

I'd love to know what the thoughts of those are who believed her at the time, and parted with their cash for the 'Justice for Ellie' campaign. Especially one of them being the person who helped bring down the Rochdale abusers.

Ultimately it's actually quite a sad story - sad because someone would hurt themselves for whatever reason, and in turn they actually hurt so many others, and sad because so many thousands of people believed them and went on to harm further innocent people.

• Like 1

You could apply that same logic to a whole bunch of issues though. She's the criminal. Although I also kind of agree. It's hard to imagine what sort of punishment is just and they don't seem to have established a motive. 

4 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

You could apply that same logic to a whole bunch of issues though. She's the criminal. Although I also kind of agree. It's hard to imagine what sort of punishment is just and they don't seem to have established a motive. 

She's criminal, and one that inspired plenty of other criminality on the part of others that didn't need a lot of prompting by the sound of it.

One of the numerous sad aspects of stuff like this to me is what a huge waste of time and energy it all is. There are so many problems in the world that need sorting and people channel their effort and emotion into something that a) isn't real and b) causes more upset and bad feeling. Imagine if you could get folk to take actual real problems so seriously

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

She's criminal, and one that inspired plenty of other criminality on the part of others that didn't need a lot of prompting by the sound of it.

One of the numerous sad aspects of stuff like this to me is what a huge waste of time and energy it all is. There are so many problems in the world that need sorting and people channel their effort and emotion into something that a) isn't real and b) causes more upset and bad feeling. Imagine if you could get folk to take actual real problems so seriously

And that's part of it all. By taking to social media etc and engaging online with people you have no connection with, but target nonetheless, one is deflecting away from their own issues and real problems in society that they can't manage or give any constructive thought process to. Sadly t'inernet has exposed and encouraged so much that has brought society to a level that every individual with access to it now has a way of expressing whatever they want regardless of any consequence. 

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

And that's part of it all. By taking to social media etc and engaging online with people you have no connection with, but target nonetheless, one is deflecting away from their own issues and real problems in society that they can't manage or give any constructive thought process to. Sadly t'inernet has exposed and encouraged so much that has brought society to a level that every individual with access to it now has a way of expressing whatever they want regardless of any consequence. 

It's an interesting discussion.

My two pennyworth is that the internet, like any other tech, is only as good or as bad as those who use it, and the issue is perhaps the human brain rather than the tech itself.

Prince Harry... kills some Taliban, yet does not appear to have the fact he was (apparently) in combat recognised on his medal rack.

There should be a rosette on his Afghanistan Campaign medal...  Prince Andrew has one on his South Atlantic Medal, meaning he really does have an excuse of not being able to sweat.

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's an interesting discussion.

My two pennyworth is that the internet, like any other tech, is only as good or as bad as those who use it, and the issue is perhaps the human brain rather than the tech itself.

Or how it is regulated. I'm really torn about the internet as a force for good or evil. It's the tech wild west and while there are a few sherrifs it is generally pretty lawless and unregulated.

I've often toyed with the idea of a safe web. Websites apply for and have to prove that they are secure and genuine to get access to the safe web. Sort of like web version of iso standards. Forums like FT would have to prove that it has regular moderators and takes steps to eliminate toxic behaviour. E-commerce sites need to prove they are genuine If you are felt to have broken those rules then you lose your certification and people can still access you but it is at their own risk. You would set up kids profiles and vulnerable profiles to only be able to access the safe web.

I appreciate this would add costs to small startups and drive them to using platforms like Amazon. However I don't see that as a bad thing it is too easy to setup fake websites fake profiles and groom/scam/abuse people.

It certainly takes away a lot of what makes the internet incredible, but the internet really is turning into a cesspit of toxicity and lies.

I'd be interested in any evidence of the internet becoming worse. I'm always a bit surprised when seemingly well educated people express an interest in regulating the internet heavily because I don't see it as plausible or a proportionate response to an actual problem. China uses the internet as part of its authoritarian system of control over its own populace. Russia has a sort of internal ghost internet to act as a propaganda mouthpiece and to give it resiliency against western sanctions. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I'd be interested in any evidence of the internet becoming worse. I'm always a bit surprised when seemingly well educated people express an interest in regulating the internet heavily because I don't see it as plausible or a proportionate response to an actual problem. China uses the internet as part of its authoritarian system of control over its own populace. Russia has a sort of internal ghost internet to act as a propaganda mouthpiece and to give it resiliency against western sanctions. 

My idea would hopefully not stifle the creative and amazing potential of the internet just create a small well regulated safe zone that you can venture outside of understanding the risks. Mainly for the young, vulnerable and elderly. Even as a bloke in my forties who has grown up with the internet I still find certain things daunting and I have clicked on links I shouldn't and bought things from sites I hadn't fully vetted. I do find it amazing how many scam sites are allowed to advertise on Facebook.

There was an advert on my feed the other day about this awesome looking laser engraver for £30 I so nearly bought it, but it seemed too good to be true and it was. The website is flagged up all over trust pilot as a scam and the equivalent laser engraver on Amazon is £150. Amazon is another problem so many products misrepresented you have to be so careful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Prince Harry... kills some Taliban, yet does not appear to have the fact he was (apparently) in combat recognised on his medal rack.

There should be a rosette on his Afghanistan Campaign medal...  Prince Andrew has one on his South Atlantic Medal, meaning he really does have an excuse of not being able to sweat.

As far as I am aware Harry flew non-combat helicopters:

Harry's two tours in Afghanistan took place from 2007-2008 and 2012-2013. During his first tour, he served patrol duties in hostile areas and even helped to fend off Taliban insurgents.

There's no record of him "killing" Taliban insurgents.

If he's actually been in involved in attacks on the Taliban it would have been widely and enthusiastically reported.

Nothing in the press.

Blokes up his own arse, lubricated by that social media ho Megan.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Harry's two tours in Afghanistan took place from 2007-2008 and 2012-2013. During his first tour, he served patrol duties in hostile areas and even helped to fend off Taliban insurgents.

If he's actually been in involved in attacks on the Taliban it would have been widely and enthusiastically reported.

Nothing in the press.

Well annoying that these two idiots still get so much airtime. I’m defo reading his book but absolutely not buying it. The ‘help the poor and downtrodden Meghan live the billionaire life she deserves’ fund doesn’t need any of my money 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Bit harsh. Nowhere near as bad as some of the despicable people on social media that still get to spout their bile. 

You mean people who aren't already millionaires still pushing for money through exploiting an already wealthy thicko who IMO can't see through the money grubbing leech that sucked him off in?

Edited by Parafox

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have to disagree, I would absolutely classify her as an absolute c**t. The amount of damage she's done to innocent men's lives is bad enough, but the damage she's done to female domestic violence survivors is incalculable. She put a man in prison for 10 weeks when he'd done nothing wrong. Men have killed themselves after being victim of false allegations. It destroys reputations, families and lives. Men are lost to suicide for this sort of thing all the time. And it makes it harder for real victims to come forward and achieve justice.

IMO she deserves a sentence just as long as the men she accuses would have got if she'd got them prosecuted.

I didn't really the see the point of bestowing the absolute c*** status on her as when someone has reached the point of smashing their own face up with a hammer, I think moral judgements of their character aren't of much value, regardless of what they've done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parafox said:

Nothing in the press.

He was an apache attack helicopter pilot/gunner and so it is highly likely he killed people in this role. Just because it isn’t in the media doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Whether he should be talking about it is the more relevant point.

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

You mean people who aren't already millionaires still pushing for money through exploiting an already wealthy thicko who IMO can't see through the money grubbing leech that sucked him off in?

Where's the exploitation?