Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Favourite Game Of All Time

I don't know if anyone else noticed this is whether it was just me by on no fewer than 3 occasions over the years I have had my Link to the Past saved game data completely wiped. First one was when I was younger in the mid 90's. Second one was probably circa 2006 when I tried to replay it on the SNES (Furthest I'd got, had 6 out of 8 diamonds in the Dark World, was fuming) and then I bought it for my DS, same thing happened again. Just turned it on  normally and save had gone. 

Can't say I've had those problems. Have you tried running it on an emulator?

Silent Hill 2 takes some beating.

It was the game that showed us all why horror games are so much better and more effective than horror films, because of the involvement of the player and the fact you can't passively observe, it's you who has to make the decisions whether to go ahead or not and the clever implementation of infrequent save points meant you had to go forward and couldn't just fear quit at any time.

Add to the Akira Yamaoka's incredible ambient soundtrack, a style of music which had never really been used effectively in games before and  one of the best stories ever in gaming - being one of the first games to maturely approach subjects such as murder, euthanasia, rape, suicide, child abuse, depression and psychological guilt in a way most games really still don't approach with any level of maturity.

And it was one of the early big games along with Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X which helped launch the PS2 in to becoming the biggest selling and best console ever.

Still so many moments from that game burnt into my brain.

The decline of the Final Fantasy series has been majorly depressing. 

Damn right. 7-10 (and possibly 6) was the golden era. Everything after that has been stylised pap with no attempt to put in a decent plotline (which used to be the staple of the FF series). That said, going back to play 7-10 is still a pastime of mine and they'll always be classics.

For the record, FF8 is better than FF7.

Yes, I went there.

Ooooooo. 0.0

It's more of a personal favourite of mine than 7, I must say (first played it at an impressionable age and the plot and characterisation really left its mark on me) - but I'm not sure it's a better game.

Edit: Also, we really need to distinguish between single-player and multiplayer games here in this thread. GoldenEye was utterly legendary in multiplayer, but the single-player mode was frankly crap.

FF8 being better than 7 is a bold statement but i must admit they are very close. I loved 8 with the GFs but i think the materia system on 7 and the story was slightly better.

I thought FF9 was decent but 10 i think was the best storyline loved playing blitzball

I actually cannot wait for the remastered version of Final Fantasy X to come out, must have completed that game at least 5 times with several different party combinations lol

Rumours of online blitzball as well although I don't know if there is any truth behind that.

You're not hardcore until you've beaten Penance and Nemesis without using Yojimbo. :ph34r:

Fantastic game, really looking forward to the HD release too.

You're not hardcore until you've beaten Penance and Nemesis without using Yojimbo. :ph34r:

Fantastic game, really looking forward to the HD release too.

Good lord don't even get me started on those two  lol  Must have done an overall 200 hours of grinding and then my disc just finally gave way due to overusage and I haven't been able to play since I'd just wiped out all of the dark aeons...

I even had a guilty crush on Yuna in my early teens  :pearson:

Good lord don't even get me started on those two  lol  Must have done an overall 200 hours of grinding and then my disc just finally gave way due to overusage and I haven't been able to play since I'd just wiped out all of the dark aeons...

I even had a guilty crush on Yuna in my early teens  :pearson:

Ugh, worst possible time for the disc to give out. Level grinding to beat Penance doesn't actually take that long if you know what to do (last time was about 75 hrs gameplay when I beat him) but capturing some of the rarer monsters 10 times to fight Nemesis is an utter time-consuming nightmare.

All about Lulu. Those belts were clearly not just fashion accessories. :ph34r: *ahem

Got me wanting to play it through again now. I'll have to dig out my old disc.

Back vaguely on topic, pretty much the entirety of the Metal Gear Solid series deserves a mention here too.

I liked 9 :ph34r:

Nowt wrong with 9 at all, very underrated, normally by people who had grown up playing 7 and 8 and didn't know how to use the character classes well. Liked the characterisation (for the most part) too, and the plot was great.

Also (I maintain) possibly the toughest optional superboss in the ENTIRE FF series in terms of knowing how to beat it and actually doing so.

I go up against Emerald/Ruby/Omega Weapons, Penance etc I have a plan for each and I'll win 9.9 times out of 10. Against Ozma plans normally go out the window and I'll win perhaps 5/10.

Damn right. 7-10 (and possibly 6) was the golden era. Everything after that has been stylised pap with no attempt to put in a decent plotline (which used to be the staple of the FF series). That said, going back to play 7-10 is still a pastime of mine and they'll always be classics.

Ooooooo. 0.0

It's more of a personal favourite of mine than 7, I must say (first played it at an impressionable age and the plot and characterisation really left its mark on me) - but I'm not sure it's a better game.

Edit: Also, we really need to distinguish between single-player and multiplayer games here in this thread. GoldenEye was utterly legendary in multiplayer, but the single-player mode was frankly crap.

I wouldn't agree entirely, XII was passable for me, I enjoyed it, finished it, and I liked the combat system (even if it was them clearly pissing around getting ready for MMORPG combat) although it was certainly the weakest one I've played from a story point of view first three aside. 

I wouldn't agree entirely, XII was passable for me, I enjoyed it, finished it, and I liked the combat system (even if it was them clearly pissing around getting ready for MMORPG combat) although it was certainly the weakest one I've played from a story point of view first three aside. 

That's fair enough. For me the plot is the bread and butter of any FF game and the weak one of XII killed it for me.

Streets 0f rage - Megadrive

That was good but I have to say Streets of Rage 2 was probably my favourite game, I used to love just blasting though that on 2 player. Never got boring.

Honourable mentions go to Tekken 2 and Tag Tournament, many an evening playing winner stays on.

That's fair enough. For me the plot is the bread and butter of any FF game and the weak one of XII killed it for me.

It was certainly the start of the decline, it sits somewhere directly in between 10 and 13, I had to give up with 13, ridiculously bad. 

That was good but I have to say Streets of Rage 2 was probably my favourite game, I used to love just blasting though that on 2 player. Never got boring.

I loved Streets of Rage 2, used to play it all the time and only once beat it on the hardest mode. Pity SOR3 was such a pile of tripe, with a terrible soundtrack that had none of the quality from the first 2

Archived