Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Fallout 3

I've never played Stalker no - its doesnt ring any bells at all to be honest. How old is it?

2007 I think? It was 23985729353 years in production. It's set in Chernobyl in the modern day, real life weapons, etc. You play a STALKER, a sort of scavanger in "The Zone"

2007 I think? It was 23985729353 years in production. It's set in Chernobyl in the modern day, real life weapons, etc. You play a STALKER, a sort of scavanger in "The Zone"

So similarities to Fallout.

I've never heard of it - must be a PC exclusive im guessing? I dont really do PC games.

So similarities to Fallout.

I've never heard of it - must be a PC exclusive im guessing? I dont really do PC games.

Aaah right, yeah sorry it's a PC game. I forget I'm on my own in that regard.

It's the "original" Fallout, so to speak. The Fallout series is older but the book (and film) that STALKER's based on is aeons old and a real forerunner in that sort of nuclear, post-apocalyptic kinda scene.

It's the "original" Fallout, so to speak. The Fallout series is older but the book (and film) that STALKER's based on is aeons old and a real forerunner in that sort of nuclear, post-apocalyptic kinda scene.

Really? Thats interesting. I thought Fallout was the first on that kinda scene.

I just finished playing Fallout 1 and 2, having recently purchased them from GOG.com at $5.99 (about £4.60) (GOG is great - classic old games download straight to your PC, all with the necessary tweeks to make sure they run on modern machines too!) I had played them both years ago - completing the 1st, but not the 2nd (I went to the Enclave base way before I'd leveled up enough. Its a one way journey and I had just kept saving over the same slot so had no other saves to go back to :doh: )

In any case, I upgrade my graphics card last week and dropped in an extra gig of memory whilst I was doing it and NOW I CAN RUN FALLOUT 3! :thumbup:

Just got out of the vault and into Megaton. Loved the character creation... better than Oblivion or Morrowind - though AGAIN, when I was given my job title it was way wide of the mark for what I was thinking of (which also happens in Oblivion ("I can see that you are a cleric!" What?!! I've been hacking stuff to pieces with my sword and lobbing fireballs around! How on earth do you think I'm a cleric!!?)) - apparently I was the vault's new chaplain! <_<

Hahaha, I loved the GOAT test. I was practically weeing myself laughing.

I was quite happy, it tagged Medical and Sneak for me which is what I was angling after. Had to swap Science for Small Guns though. The character creation's okay but I hated that hazy, dark portal you're supposed to get your appearance from. Couldn't bloody see anything.

Told me I was management material. :cool:

I came as far as leaving the bunker - but from there on, I struggled motivating myself in order to explore the cityscape. Also, carrying too many small items with me slowed me down tremendously.

But the lack of enough ammo is frustrating. Scorpions, dogs, bees and other weird creatures just want to be killed, right? lol

No sympathy for anyone who runs out of ammo or finds themself frequently carrying too much.

You can make regular trips to Moira to sell up, get a house in Megaton stupidly easily and there's a near infinite supply of ammo once you start going out and killing raiders.

There were a few rough patches early on where I was short of 556 and 308 is never in over-abundance but other than that. :dunno:

Edit: Though, just to make sure, you ARE using VATS in most close-quarters situations right? Huge, huge, HUGE ammo saver. Leave the manual aiming for sniping.

No sympathy for anyone who runs out of ammo or finds themself frequently carrying too much.

You can make regular trips to Moira to sell up, get a house in Megaton stupidly easily and there's a near infinite supply of ammo once you start going out and killing raiders.

There were a few rough patches early on where I was short of 556 and 308 is never in over-abundance but other than that. :dunno:

Edit: Though, just to make sure, you ARE using VATS in most close-quarters situations right? Huge, huge, HUGE ammo saver. Leave the manual aiming for sniping.

I haven't played it for a while and didn't have an awful lot of VAT choices so far. And I have yet to explore the city further. Coming out of the hole, where's Moira's place? Right-hand side? I've walked around in the other half so far.

And you can buy a house???

Megaton is pretty much right outside of Vault 101.

Moira is the trader in there, she gives you the Survival Guide quest which pretty much teaches you how to play.

If you disarm the bomb in Megaton you get a house (positive Karma option) or you can destroy all of Megaton to get a house in Tenpenny Towers.

I'd not recommend the latter.

Megaton is pretty much right outside of Vault 101.

Moira is the trader in there, she gives you the Survival Guide quest which pretty much teaches you how to play.

If you disarm the bomb in Megaton you get a house (positive Karma option) or you can destroy all of Megaton to get a house in Tenpenny Towers.

I'd not recommend the latter.

Well, I've walked the wrong direction then. Great. All the way back now, past the scorpions, blind rodents, bees and other fancy pants. Not to forget the cows with two heads. Awesome.

Sounds like you were en route to Arefu, you'll end up there eventually anyway so handy to get the map point for Fast Travel.

Fast Travel back to Vault 101 and pretty much head straight out of the front door and keep walking. You can't possibly miss Megaton, it's a huge, fenced off enclave with a robot stood out front and occasionally a trade caravan.

I haven't played this, but my Mrs plays it a lot. Obviously I have watched her playing it and its a very, very good game...Has anyone found the UFO and the Alien? Apparently the gun by the Alien is the best on the game, but the Ammo is limited.

I don't bother with laser weapons 'cos the ammo's so rare 'til late on and by then I've got insanely good 'Small Guns' anyway.

I have Lincoln's Repeater, Blackhawk and the Terrible Shotgun and between the three of them there's not much need for anything else, really.

It is good, like you say, but not so much better than those three that it's worth the hassle for ammo.

Where the smeg can I find 'The Family'????

Uh. In one of the Metro stations. The chap at Arefu tells you they could be in one of three places one of which is Northwest Seneca. You don't actually want to go there, the route you take that way involves a fair few Mirelurks which I found to be a pain in the ass so early in the game (shoot their legs, by the way, if you can't see their faces.)

You ACTUALLY want to get in the tunnels at Meresti Trainyard which is nearest. Just watch the floor for traps and mines, you can spam the action button to disarm and pick them up. It's a walk East-South-East of Northwest Seneca above ground.

Oh and by the way, if you don't do this quest quick enough (relax, you have a few days) Arefu will turn hostile I believe. It's piss easy, just talk to people - no killing involved.

Uh. In one of the Metro stations. The chap at Arefu tells you they could be in one of three places one of which is Northwest Seneca. You don't actually want to go there, the route you take that way involves a fair few Mirelurks which I found to be a pain in the ass so early in the game (shoot their legs, by the way, if you can't see their faces.)

You ACTUALLY want to get in the tunnels at Meresti Trainyard which is nearest. Just watch the floor for traps and mines, you can spam the action button to disarm and pick them up. It's a walk East-South-East of Northwest Seneca above ground.

Oh and by the way, if you don't do this quest quick enough (relax, you have a few days) Arefu will turn hostile I believe. It's piss easy, just talk to people - no killing involved.

Ok thanks, I actually did that quest early on and didn't spend too much time looking for the family then said sod it and went off to do something else, I guess I should go back and finish it.

The problem I have with this game is that I don't play it much, but when I do, I end up sitting there for hours and hours and getting nothing else done!

Archived