Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Fallout 3

Am I the only one that found super mutants stupidly easy?

By the time I found my first super mutants I'd already got the combat shotgun and the +25 AP hockey mask. From them on it was just too easy.

I enjoyed the game but it was too short (if you didn't think so you've clearly not played the Baldur's Gate series, the Icwind Dale series, the NWN series, the original Fallout series, the Elder Scrolls series, the KOTOR series or any other epic RPG that Fallout 3 was supposed to be the next generation of) and it was pretty easy.

Only thing in the game I found fairly challenging were the Deathclaws. And, again, by the time I encountered those I had Lincoln's Repeater (and the Hockey Mask) and I just head-shotted my way to victory.

Stealth + Small Guns = Victory.

By the time I found my first super mutants I'd already got the combat shotgun and the +25 AP hockey mask. From them on it was just too easy.

I enjoyed the game but it was too short (if you didn't think so you've clearly not played the Baldur's Gate series, the Icwind Dale series, the NWN series, the original Fallout series, the Elder Scrolls series, the KOTOR series or any other epic RPG that Fallout 3 was supposed to be the next generation of) and it was pretty easy.

Only thing in the game I found fairly challenging were the Deathclaws. And, again, by the time I encountered those I had Lincoln's Repeater (and the Hockey Mask) and I just head-shotted my way to victory.

Spot on. :thumbup: Though that seems the way of many things. Take films for example, plotting and dialogue often sacrificed to the god of SFX and loud bangs. I'm not saying FO3 is a bad game, or has bad plotting even, but compared to the earlier FO games and as you say, the Baldur's Gate games, it's disappointingly brief.

And for the record, I played over 50 hours game time. One of the reasons I didn't do ALL the missions is because I do role-play my characters and I avoid missions that they wouldn't do (very few people would refuse the Megaton Bomb mission from Burke, but help Mai Wong to escape from Sister). Which is why I'm playing throuigh as a second character with a more "ambiguous" morality. Hell, I shoot Amata's father dead right in front of her! (She took it remarkable well! Which I found disappointing.)

The game as a whole IS too short - unfortunately, the developers are trying to cater for everyone. Most people havent got the time to put 50 hours into a game, let alone 100+. Does that mean people who havent got the time should miss out, as they inevitably wont finish the game? Maybe, but then they wouldnt buy the game in the first place would they?

Compared to most games these days, excellent games, such as Dead Space, Bioshock, Gears of War, Fallout 3 is a very long game. You're looking at 50+ hours compared to 10-15 on something like Gears, obviously its more with a couple of play through's, but how many casual gamers re-play their games once they've finished them once?

Compared to games of old, it is short, but thats the current market.

Spot on. :thumbup: Though that seems the way of many things. Take films for example, plotting and dialogue often sacrificed to the god of SFX and loud bangs. I'm not saying FO3 is a bad game, or has bad plotting even, but compared to the earlier FO games and as you say, the Baldur's Gate games, it's disappointingly brief.

And for the record, I played over 50 hours game time. One of the reasons I didn't do ALL the missions is because I do role-play my characters and I avoid missions that they wouldn't do (very few people would refuse the Megaton Bomb mission from Burke, but help Mai Wong to escape from Sister). Which is why I'm playing throuigh as a second character with a more "ambiguous" morality. Hell, I shoot Amata's father dead right in front of her! (She took it remarkable well! Which I found disappointing.)

So yeah okay, you role play your characters... doesnt that encourage multiple play throughs in a diferent role?

I mean, 50 hours x 2 is 100 hours just with 2 kinds of character, with a 3rd, its 150. Thats a hell of a lot of game time, and replayability. Okay, maybe you want 150 hours with one play through - ain't gonna happen. And its not something i'd want to happen. I enjoy long games, but over 100 hours is too much. I have neither the time, nor the boredom threshold to play a single game for that period of time, unless its a multiplayer shooter or something like that.

It isn't just about game time though, really.

It's about depth of story. Games like Pro Evo or Tekken have technically unlimited play time because of their infinite replayability, that doesn't necessarily make them better games.

Fallout is a highly story driven game with - ultimately - a six or seven hour (at most) storyline. Having endless subplots and a large world to explore means nothing if it's not really rewarding to do so.

Longer, harder story with a higher level cap would encourage people to explore for the rewards of experience and equipment and I didn't really feel there was that in Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the game but just not for long enough. I'm an avid RPG gamer and I just didn't find it rewarding or motivating to play much beyond the actual storyline.

I disagree that there isn't an audience for epic RPGs either - you clearly just don't hang around in nerdy enough circles, hahaha. Fallout should have been a game for the sort of people that skulk around Forbidden Planet laughing at World of Warcraft jokes and not been sold out for the sakes of the FPS crowd. That's my biggest gripe with it, really. If Square Enix can consistently make high profit off of epic RPGs then I don't see why companies like Bethesda couldn't.

It's about depth of story. Games like Pro Evo or Tekken have technically unlimited play time because of their infinite replayability, that doesn't necessarily make them better games.

Fallout is a highly story driven game with - ultimately - a six or seven hour (at most) storyline. Having endless subplots and a large world to explore means nothing if it's not really rewarding to do so.

Longer, harder story with a higher level cap would encourage people to explore for the rewards of experience and equipment and I didn't really feel there was that in Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the game but just not for long enough. I'm an avid RPG gamer and I just didn't find it rewarding or motivating to play much beyond the actual storyline.

I disagree that there isn't an audience for epic RPGs either - you clearly just don't hang around in nerdy enough circles, hahaha. Fallout should have been a game for the sort of people that skulk around Forbidden Planet laughing at World of Warcraft jokes and not been sold out for the sakes of the FPS crowd. That's my biggest gripe with it, really. If Square Enix can consistently make high profit off of epic RPGs then I don't see why companies like Bethesda couldn't.

Testify brother!

I think this is where Achievements on the 360 come into play - it IS rewarding to continue playing, because of that. People say gamerpoints mean nothing...well I disagree.

I do agree with you point about there being an audience for the hardcore RPG fan - yes there is - but Bethesda (and other devs) know where their breads buttered... you only have to look at the success of the Wii. The casual market wins for them, and thats probably why the story, and the game in general is short.

Some good points there though Finners. Good post.

I've got to the point on Fallout 3 where I need to go & complete 'Take it back!' which is the final quest in the main storyline.

My final choice for my level 20 level-up was the 'explorer' perk, which shows all the destinations on the map.

I've spent the last 15+ hours of gameplay going to every single destination before I complete the last quest.

I know I can't get any more XP etc. but I feel the game is SO amazingly put together with the scenery & graphics etc.

I don't want to finish the game before I've seen all the locations, explored all the buildings, built all the weapons etc.

I know I won't go back to it once i've completed it, so i'm holding out & doing the other bits first.

I'd definately put it down as being one of my favourite games of all time (after the original Half-Life & Deus Ex).

They could have made it more detailed in places, and allowed you to carry on gaining XP, but at level 20, it's powerful enough!

Now i'm just getting all the acheivements & enjoying the landscapes.

Qualityyyyyyyy.

Can anyone help please.

Im stuck at the point where the objective is "listen to dads personal journal entry 10". The pointer points me to the chemical filtration thing and I can do nothing with it. What do I have do to to it please?

Done it lol.

Can anyone help please.

Im stuck at the point where the objective is "listen to dads personal journal entry 10". The pointer points me to the chemical filtration thing and I can do nothing with it. What do I have do to to it please?

Done it lol.

lol yeah that bit had me for a while, took me ages to spot the casette discs on top.

:doh:

I've got to the point on Fallout 3 where I need to go & complete 'Take it back!' which is the final quest in the main storyline.

My final choice for my level 20 level-up was the 'explorer' perk, which shows all the destinations on the map.

I've spent the last 15+ hours of gameplay going to every single destination before I complete the last quest.

I know I can't get any more XP etc. but I feel the game is SO amazingly put together with the scenery & graphics etc.

I don't want to finish the game before I've seen all the locations, explored all the buildings, built all the weapons etc.

I know I won't go back to it once i've completed it, so i'm holding out & doing the other bits first.

I'd definately put it down as being one of my favourite games of all time (after the original Half-Life & Deus Ex).

They could have made it more detailed in places, and allowed you to carry on gaining XP, but at level 20, it's powerful enough!

Now i'm just getting all the acheivements & enjoying the landscapes.

Qualityyyyyyyy.

Exactly.

There is DLC coming aswel so that you can go past level 20.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered a really weird (and funny) bug outside the Deathclaw Sanctuary.

As I approached the Sanctuary, which is near a wooden bridge, I noticed a deathclaw and was about to take aim with my dartgun (always 1at weapon of choice when dealing with a deathclaw! Just remember to switch afterwards.) when it flew up into the air... rapidly, straight up and not unlike the Bridge of Doom in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

What was even funnier though was that Jericho had obviously targeted the deathclaw and was running around leaning back, with his back at about 80 degrees from vertical, trying to get a shoot.

I love bugs!

Yup... game over man, game over!!

Nice to see you did the honourable thing and didn't send Sarah Lyons in! :P

You could send her in :o, Seriously??

I probably couldnt do anyway, my speech isn't probably that good. I steamed through the game lol

Yep and you can...

ask any companions you have with you (if any) to go in - but they will refuse, giving different reasons depending on their morality

I remember Sarah saying that we have to decide who goes in but I just said I would do it. I thought screw it, I'll enter 216 It makes sense and it worked lol.

Archived