Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Speccy or C64

It's 1987.

Do you buy the flash Commodore computer that can move sprites around and play midi music or...

do you get Uncle Clive's little British gem with it's huge catalogue of games, garish colour clash and rubber keys!?

I bought a ZX Spectrum. I even sent it away to get it repaired when it blew up! I still have a few speccy games on my PC!!

In my opinion, the technical limitations of the graphics and sound (but faster processor) made the programmers work harder and produced games that had been given some thought. Whilst the C64 was in many ways the better machine, the games sometimes had sloppy interfaces and/or very basic gameplay.

Who's up for defending the C64?

I had both and had a lot of enjoyment out of both of them.

The only thing the Spectrum could do better than the C64 was vector graphics, but I'd agree that sometimes the programmers would seem to work harder on the Spectrum versions of some games than their C64 equivalents, which were often unnecessarily sloppy.

The Amstrad made 128k Spectrum (with the built in tape deck) had a better sound chip than the original Speccy and the fact that you didn't have as much of the horrible multiload that plagued later tape games for the Commodore 64 evened things up a bit, but the fact that the Speccy couldn't cope with two colours next to each other always made the games on that look a bit shit. The other bonus on the C64 was that the sound came out of the telly instead of the tiny speaker on the bottom of the Spectrum (I don't know if this was the case on later models) so that always made things seem a lot more impressive.

C64 wins out for me, but not by much

Spectrum everyday of the week for me. Found mine in the attic the other week, plus a boat load of games. Some retro gaming action beckons when I can be arsed to take the hour and a half to load a game

Spectrum everyday of the week for me. Found mine in the attic the other week, plus a boat load of games. Some retro gaming action beckons when I can be arsed to take the hour and a half to load a game

Did you have a c64 though?

I had both and c64 was miles better.

Did you have a c64 though?

I had both and c64 was miles better.

No but loads of my mates did at the time and I played on em enough to know that I preferred the Speccy

• 3 years later...

I preferred the C64. Probably because I had the Spectrum +2A. Some genius had decided to put a different memory chip in it and a lot of the games wouldn't work. I think the football manager type games were better on the Spectrum except The Double. The C64 was better than my Spectrum for other games, mainly because they all worked. Still got them both + ZX81 & Atari ST 520 & 1040. I still use them occasionally when I can be bothered and i'm bored with my playstation games

• 2 weeks later...

In my house both the Spectrum and C64 were out of my mum and dad's price range so I got a second hand Acorn Electron which was brilliant (or so I thought at the time) but there was not a single shop in Melton that sold software for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Why did the games always crash when you nipped off to put the kettle on and have a brew!! speccy for me but only because I had one and the mastertronic games for £1.99 that where utter crap!!! happy days

Bit of an old post ??? but while I'm here. C64 over the speccy any day. The 8 bit music added that bit more to the games you played. Still get Crazy Commet in my head after all these years I'm sure you can download an emulator and the odd rom or two if you want to relive your childhood...

(

)

Archived