Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

The Photography Thread

28 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I put an order in on a VI, but the wait list is ridiculous as apparently someone told twats that it will make them an instant tickytok celebrity.

Ordered a Nikon ZF instead - and adore it. Full metal jacket with gorgeous FM2 flashbacks.

Great camera. If I hadn’t been so invested in Canon for so long I’d have considered it. 
I also have full frame mirrorless, Canon R5 but managed to slim down the lenses to ones I’ll actually use. My RF100-500 just about lives on the camera now though, absolutely stunning lens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I put an order in on a VI, but the wait list is ridiculous as apparently someone told twats that it will make them an instant tickytok celebrity.

Ordered a Nikon ZF instead - and adore it. Full metal jacket with gorgeous FM2 flashbacks.

Ah, that explains why they were desperate to buy my old X100F off me for twice what it's worth. 

I'm glad you're enjoying the ZF... My DSLR and all of my lenses are Nikon, so I've been very tempted by it myself! (albeit on a different mount)

54 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Ah, that explains why they were desperate to buy my old X100F off me for twice what it's worth. 

I'm glad you're enjoying the ZF... My DSLR and all of my lenses are Nikon, so I've been very tempted by it myself! (albeit on a different mount)

It's weird the affection I have for Nikon - and the aversion I have for Canon. I've no idea why either. Ever since I was a kid I wanted Nikon stuff. Instead, all I could afford was a secondhand East German Praktica...and then couldn't afford the film and developing. Out of necessity to save money, I'd focus on double exposures on out of date stock. No one liked my shots lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It's weird the affection I have for Nikon - and the aversion I have for Canon. I've no idea why either. Ever since I was a kid I wanted Nikon stuff. Instead, all I could afford was a secondhand East German Praktica...and then couldn't afford the film and developing. Out of necessity to save money, I'd focus on double exposures on out of date stock. No one liked my shots lol

I grew up on Zenith and Praktika, took them on all my travels taking more than 2500 images. Took 50 rolls of 35mm with me and bought more along the way. Didn’t get some processed for years as I couldn’t afford it. Labelled and dated them and posted home whenever I could. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I grew up on Zenith and Praktika, took them on all my travels taking more than 2500 images. Took 50 rolls of 35mm with me and bought more along the way. Didn’t get some processed for years as I couldn’t afford it. Labelled and dated them and posted home whenever I could. 

I'm always paranoid of losing films when I'm travelling so I can't imagine what I'd be like with 50 in my bag. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm always paranoid of losing films when I'm travelling so I can't imagine what I'd be like with 50 in my bag. 

I used to keep them in sandwich bags taped up when exposed, I think I guarded them more than my passport 😂. Bear in mind that I only had a rucksack too. A sleeping bag, bivi sheet and some clothes, I look back and wonder how I managed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I used to keep them in sandwich bags taped up when exposed, I think I guarded them more than my passport 😂. Bear in mind that I only had a rucksack too. A sleeping bag, bivi sheet and some clothes, I look back and wonder how I managed 😂

I can understand. I probably guard them more than my passport too. A passport you can replace, lost photos you can't. Rolls of 35mm film still sometimes catch the attention of curious border force officials too. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

I can understand. I probably guard them more than my passport too. A passport you can replace, lost photos you can't. Rolls of 35mm film still sometimes catch the attention of curious border force officials too. 

I planned carefully and most borders I crossed were either unmanned or the staff were nonchalant. Others just made me empty the sack and asked a few questions but I didn't really encounter any more than that.

5 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I planned carefully and most borders I crossed were either unmanned or the staff were nonchalant. Others just made me empty the sack and asked a few questions but I didn't really encounter any more than that.

Got my bag searched quite a lot in the Balkans. I think it's a bit of a contraband route and they probably wanted to tick a box saying they'd searched somebody while choosing the person they knew probably wouldn't be smuggling anything. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Pentax spotmatic I've had for about 11 years. One of the best SLRs ever made imo. Very good particularly in low light. Absolutely love it.

IMG_20240820_134252921.thumb.jpg.7d035d7f71aec2370dfaf69ecf613f40.jpg

Lovely piece of kit in its day.

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

It's weird isn't it. My first proper SLR was a Nikon (F65) and from that moment on I just hated Canon lol. I will happily flirt with all other brands but not the dirty C word. I'm quite sure it would have been the other way round if I just so happened to buy a Canon SLR first...

1 hour ago, Houdini Logic said:

It's weird isn't it. My first proper SLR was a Nikon (F65) and from that moment on I just hated Canon lol. I will happily flirt with all other brands but not the dirty C word. I'm quite sure it would have been the other way round if I just so happened to buy a Canon SLR first...

I come across this so often, it’s almost as though one is better than the other. I was a Nikon owner in the late 80’s, got offered a mega upgrade for a Canon and never looked back. Not interested in tribalism over something so petty. As long as it does what I need it to do then I’m happy. 

15 hours ago, jgtuk said:

I come across this so often, it’s almost as though one is better than the other. I was a Nikon owner in the late 80’s, got offered a mega upgrade for a Canon and never looked back. Not interested in tribalism over something so petty. As long as it does what I need it to do then I’m happy. 

What does irk me though is the poor range of mirrorless lenses from Nikon - and that they are clearly asking for a wedge from third party lens manufacturers, leading to a price differential compared to the same lenses being made for other brands. Currently looking at getting an adaptor just so I can buy some old, bulky secondhand FX lenses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

What does irk me though is the poor range of mirrorless lenses from Nikon - and that they are clearly asking for a wedge from third party lens manufacturers, leading to a price differential compared to the same lenses being made for other brands. Currently looking at getting an adaptor just so I can buy some old, bulky secondhand FX lenses.

I was an early adopter with the R5 and next to no RF lenses that I wanted were available so I bought the Canon adapter and used my existing collection, all high end white models, and they worked well. Bought my first RF lens and the difference in having a dedicated system was amazing so over the following months I sold them all and transitioned to full RF. 

Third party barely exists for mirrorless unfortunately 

16 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Pft, sounds like a typical Canon shooter :ph34r:

• Haha 2