Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JakeShingler

Snow

Just realised i know nothing about Oslo apart from the fact it gets cold in winter, it's the Captial of Norway and is an expensive place to live...........but i can't wait to go.

look forward to your visit...

based on how much snow, i thought you guys only had about 10 minutes worth :dunno:

Er, that was yesterday - it snowed most of the evening and overnight too. I'm sure that in your opinion there's nothing like enough snow to warrant shutting the school though... Norway manages to cope... people here haven't a clue how to drive in snow... etc, etc.

My son's school has just closed due to one inch of snow. I think its more to do with it being the last day of term.

Obviously can't comment on your son's school. However, the whole 'oh, schools shouldn't shut... it's only a small snow flurry' argument is starting to piss me off. In the school I work in the majority of children come by bus. The bus companies are very quick to refuse to do the journey if they think there's an increased risk. In many ways, I can understand this - in today's litigious society who'd want to be responsible for a bus-full of over-excited kids, whilst trying to focus on driving in difficult conditions. If the bus did crash and children were injured the bus company would be hung out to dry for operating in such conditions and putting the little darlings at risk. (Parents who actually wanted the kids out of their hair for the day and put them on the bus in the first place would obviously be absolved of all responsibility - after all, who could expect them to make a decision themselves?!)

Factor in that in most rural school many members of staff also have to travel in significant distances (often on minor roads), putting themselves at risk, only to find that a small number of children are there and I can completely understand why some schools have closed. Yes, being the last day of term may have some bearing on the decision, I don't deny that. But, in all honesty, should children and staff be putting themselves at risk when you know they're going to be nothing more than watching films/pantomimes, having assembly, and the like? :dunno:

When I was a kid and it had been snowing alot we used to listen to Radio Derby for the list of schools that are closed. Eating our Ready Brek with fingers crossed it was great. All kids should be allowed to stay off school when it's snowed so they can make snowmen and throw snowballs with lumps of coal in them at eachother.

When I was a kid and it had been snowing alot we used to listen to Radio Derby for the list of schools that are closed. Eating our Ready Brek with fingers crossed it was great. All kids should be allowed to stay off school when it's snowed so they can make snowmen and throw snowballs with lumps of coal in them at eachother.

I used to like going in school when it snowed, when we had snow days I did pretty much fuck all. Tiny village with about 6 kids in having a snowball fight, or a school with hundreds of kids in having a snowball fight. Was fun.

I used to like going in school when it snowed, when we had snow days I did pretty much fuck all. Tiny village with about 6 kids in having a snowball fight, or a school with hundreds of kids in having a snowball fight. Was fun.

Yeah it was a good laugh at school when there was alot of snow. Our high school rarely got closed even in deep snow so everyone had alot of big snowball fights on the fields. We also had another High School very close to ours so we used to have a battle with them at dinnertime on the football pitches. Someone always got mardy and started a proper fight just cos they'd been whanged in the face with a snowball from point blank range. Loved the mardy kids, could never take a joke!

But when I was young and still at Juniors our school always got closed and I loved that. We had about 20 kids on our street and some fields and big hills round the back so we always had plenty of stuff to get up to on a day off

I remember when i pelted a snowball at my fat german teacher. Never seen the bugger move so fast. Got me into alot of trouble tho that did.

Or when i threw one thru the window of a skoda. Some swave businessmen in it, and they took an absoulete pasting.

Good times.

:)

Issued by The National Weather Service

New York City, NY

10:54 am EST, Fri., Dec. 18, 2009

... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE OVER THE ATLANTIC SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT WILL RESULT IN THE POTENTIAL FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS ACROSS REGION. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES WITH WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 35 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. THE GREATEST POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS WILL BE ALONG THE COAST AND IN THE NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN AREA.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM IS STILL UNCERTAIN. A GLANCING BLOW WITH LESS SNOW AND LIGHTER WINDS REMAINS A POSSIBILITY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.