Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JakeShingler

Snow

Tonight's threatening weather has cancelled tonight's lecture :D

that is the lamest thing ever...

but, generally, it looks like britain is getting its act together, last year it seemed like the country closed for an inch of snow! sounds like you're getting it much worse this year and coping much better...

for the 'too cold to snow' brigade, we had some snow yesterday at -16... none forecast for today, but of course some roads and most pavements (even in the city centre) are still snow covered from christams eve....

oh, and friday we are in for -22 (wind chill -31), thank god i work from home... next week it warms up to -6, so should get some skiing in :santa:

but, generally, it looks like britain is getting its act together, last year it seemed like the country closed for an inch of snow! sounds like you're getting it much worse this year and coping much better...

for the 'too cold to snow' brigade, we had some snow yesterday at -16... none forecast for today, but of course some roads and most pavements (even in the city centre) are still snow covered from christams eve....

oh, and friday we are in for -22 (wind chill -31), thank god i work from home... next week it warms up to -6, so should get some skiing in :santa:

I bloody hate that , you see people in the Antartic suffering with frost bite in -20 conditions , seems to be plenty of snow about there !!

There's nothing Britain could have done, except maybe get a bit more grit ready, to stop what happened last year. It would be a huge waste of money for this country to spend millions gearing us up for snow of a severity that happens once a decade.

There's nothing Britain could have done, except maybe get a bit more grit ready, to stop what happened last year. It would be a huge waste of money for this country to spend millions gearing us up for snow of a severity that happens once a decade.

It''s not once in a decade though is it?

About 6 inch or maybe even more here.

Just had a walk to Cooplands and slipped over on the road. The road is like an ice rink.

College closed 'till tomorow unless the snow keeps coming down, so I've been on Football Manager all day.

This is the first time I can remember where we have had at least 2 big falls/cold snaps in one year (Feb time 2009 and Xmas 09/New Year) so its def becomming a lot more regular.

Its snowed a heck of a lot here last night and had to walk to work in about a ft deep of snow in Reading centre and its still falling as I speak!

This country is pathetic, abit of snow and the whole place goes into complete meltdown. Embarrassing.

Do you want legislation to make us change to snow tyres, carry chains etc. in the winter months like the EU countries that get snow more regularly? It would seem overkill for a few days of travel problems.

Had a great walk with the dog in the fresh snow last night. Got me in a much better mood after a shite day at work. Hurrah for dogs and snow!

Ditto, absolutely loved it last night running round the park with her going nuts! No chavs on there with vicious Staffys either, just me her and the crows! Ran herself ragged and we actually got a decent nights sleep last night without her waking us up at 3am for a pee, bloody dog!

so, now it's two years running, the government spends a lot more on a lot more pointless stuff than winter safety...

anyway, it's not just about the government, it's about individuals, businesses and institutions being prepared and not doing stupid things to make things worse.

i get the feeling that last year everyone was like, shit this doesn't happen very often, let's have a few days off, and this year it's more like, oh well i guess this is going to happen every year, lets just wrap up warm and get on with it...

oh, and for what it's worth, -28 wind chill hurts... and friday is now expected to be warmer than first thought, so only -19 now - um, woohoo.....

Edited by Vålerenga

lol at dogs getting snowballs stuck to their legs.. they end up weighing 3 times as much as when they left he house lol

You'd have had a bigger lol if you'd seen me trying to cram the reluctant bugger into a bowl of luke-warm water to melt them off afterwards.

Most of the reason for schools shutting/footy being called off etc is down to the new stupid level of Health and Safety Laws (introduced by God knows which Government) we had worse snow than this when I was a kid and we just got on with it.

The kids arent allowed out at break to play in the snow incase they get injured. :rolleyes:

Most of the reason for schools shutting/footy being called off etc is down to the new stupid level of Health and Safety Laws (introduced by God knows which Government) we had worse snow than this when I was a kid and we just got on with it.

The kids arent allowed out at break to play in the snow incase they get injured. :rolleyes:

The contrast is stark. My sister was saying yesterday that her teacher let her onto the school playing field when she was like 6-7 years old (16 years ago now) when it snowed bad.

My mum is a dinner lady and she was saying that, the kids aren't allowed out, and if they are, it's in small, supervised groups at a time (this is primary, infant and nursery though)

One mishit snowball though, and it's lawsuit galore. One child slips and does their leg.

Where there's over-protective/greedy mothers, there's a claim! :thumbup:

Most of the reason for schools shutting/footy being called off etc is down to the new stupid level of Health and Safety Laws

Not really - Once upon a time we had local schools for local folk - and local staff too. No more.

Only two of our staff live near the school, five live the other side of the city and I live about 5 miles away. Last night it took me 50 minutes to get home, a journey which would normally take me about 15 minutes.

Living right near a main road, we were able to leave the house at 10ish but the road is already back to being nasty ice...there's hardly a thing moving by. The school road hasn't seen any grit at all, nor the roads leading to it. The estate next to our house can't move their cars for the snow and ice at all and even a load of places on the street can't get their cars onto the roads without risking sliding into another car.

So do you leave two people to open up the school and child-mind 250 kids?