Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JakeShingler

Snow

it's just been on the radio that shops are running out of bread , milk and staples , :dunno:

i can understand about the bread and milk , but why the fook is anyone bothered about staples ?

Quick update

For anyone wondering if the shops are going to run out of staples , do not worry there is no need to go out on a panic buying for them or indeed any other stationery requisites .

I went to the supermarket and asked about the shortage of staples and was told by the shop assistant ( a little too condescendingly in my view ) that what was being referred to was "dietary staples" such as rice and potatoes :thumbup:

sorry about the confusion

From the Merc

If you reckon 2010 has been the winter of discontent, then think again.

In 1947, Leicestershire shivered in temperatures as low as -32C (-26F).

For two months, the county was frozen solid. Canals were sheets of ice, snow drifts rose to 12 feet high and homes did not have central heating.

Tilton on the Hill, near Melton, was cut off for five days, while Somerby, Pickwell and Wymondham were also badly hit.

To make the misery worse, rationing from the Second World War was still in full force.

John Bree, 90, from Eyres Monsell, Leicester, remembers it well. He said: "I was working as an engineer and it was my first job, so I made sure I got in to work every day.

"It was much worse than this. Everywhere you went you were walking on two feet of snow.

"In Saffron Lane, the buses couldn't get up The Fairway and we all had to walk down to the main road to catch them.

"In those days it was all coal fires and we had to keep warm with blankets. It went on for two or three months."

The winter cold snap of 1947 finally ended in the third week of March, only to be followed by more misery in the form of floods from the melting snow.

Another big freeze came in 1982, which was to be the second coldest winter of the 20th century.

Jean Hudson, 65, from Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, said: "There were terrific snowdrifts. I remember taking my children to school in Netherhall and part of the estate being cut off completely.

"But I made sure the children got to school because my daughter's teacher made it in from Market Harborough each day."

Stephen Noon, 60, from the city centre, was living in the village of Hallaton in 1982.

He said: "I remember people pushing their cars on the hill to East Norton after they got stuck in the snow.

"But I don't remember it as a bad time – I was working on the railways and all the snow saved me going to work."

With the temperatures continuing to drop, the winter of 2010 could yet make it into the record books.

Dave Mutton, the Leicester Mercury's weather man who has been monitoring the fluctuations of climate for 51 years, said: "This is certainly one of the coldest in recent memory.

"The forecast is for about three more weeks of the same, so it could get a lot colder.

"So far, it's the coldest since 1987. But in terms of the amount of snow we've had, it's probably going to be on a par with 1982."

On January 13, 1982, Dave's thermometer at his home in Cosby got as low as -19C (0F).

He said: "The brook here in Cosby froze solid. That was certainly the coldest winter I can remember.

Sorry Rocky! :D

Yeah not in this craphole of a country but means I'm off on my Jolly's with my mates for a week and then comeback and go away with the family.

lol

Ah fair enough if you're off on holiday the only way you're gonna see any warm summer sun in reality!

I'll probably have to wait till next Chrismas when i'm hopefully going Australia, unless I do actually get the gut to go over there on a working holiday some time through the year.

Right i'm not gonna say it's not cold, but it's not as cold as people are making out (I don't think), I was outside in a t-shirt, no coat/jumper yesterday and it was fine.

I am actually getting use to the cold, it's just whole disruption of it and the poor condition of side streets.

lol

Ah fair enough if you're off on holiday the only way you're gonna see any warm summer sun in reality!

I'll probably have to wait till next Chrismas when i'm hopefully going Australia, unless I do actually get the gut to go over there on a working holiday some time through the year.

I hope you are going Oz to watch the Cricket?

I hope you are going Oz to watch the Cricket?

Not for that reason, but I probably will/hope to go to the MCG for one of the days, When I went 2 or 3 years ago (?) I went as a Cricket hater I came back as a fan, Not a huge fan but I do like Cricket now! I didn't go to any of the Ashes matches but watched alot on TV with my Australian cousins (Quite painful, seeing as it was whitewash - I just kept saying good job I don't like Cricket :giggle:) and played alot aswell, they said they wanted to get to one of days at the MCG but didn't in the end so hopefully if I do go in December I will actually get to one of the days!

I was meant to go Christmas just gone but when I got made redundant last year and other things happened through the year that was knocked on the head.

Edited by Matt

Absolutely gutted Valerenga hasn't updated me in the last ten minutes on the snow in Norway.

Norway has more snow and is colder than England. WE GET IT

ooh, ha ha ha, hilarious, haven't heard that before :rolleyes:

that shows what a complete retard you are - i've haven't posted as often as some people on here* and most of my posts have simply been asking what it is like over there...

why is it ok for people in england to randomely post that snow is falling but not for me - we haven't had anything other than a light snow since christmas, i've merely made some observations about how cold it is. i think when you experience places near to you hitting -42 it's worthy of mentioning.

it's a thread about snow you fucking bell end, i'm an englishman living near the arctic circle, do you expect me to not get excited about it and post in here.

you really are turning into the new TPH aren't you - rarely posting anything of any interest but simply loitering waiting to make some lame sarcastic 'joke' about other people's opinions.

at least if your going to attempt to be a funny man, you should probably check to see if there is the remotest bit of accuracy in what you say - IT HAS SNOWED MORE IN ENGLAND THAN IN NORWAY, RETARD, DO YOU GET THAT????

christ, it's raining in the north of the country :rolleyes: or am i not allowed to make any weather related comments, i wouldn't want to bore you...

and the real irony, is that you have the second most posts in this thread :giggle:

EDIT: *this year

Edited by Vålerenga

ooh, ha ha ha, hilarious, haven't heard that before :rolleyes:

that shows what a complete retard you are - i've haven't posted as often as some people on here* and most of my posts have simply been asking what it is like over there...

why is it ok for people in england to randomely post that snow is falling but not for me - we haven't had anything other than a light snow since christmas, i've merely made some observations about how cold it is. i think when you experience places near to you hitting -42 it's worthy of mentioning.

it's a thread about snow you fucking bell end, i'm an englishman living near the arctic circle, do you expect me to not get excited about it and post in here.

you really are turning into the new TPH aren't you - rarely posting anything of any interest but simply loitering waiting to make some lame sarcastic 'joke' about other people's opinions.

at least if your going to attempt to be a funny man, you should probably check to see if there is the remotest bit of accuracy in what you say - IT HAS SNOWED MORE IN ENGLAND THAN IN NORWAY, RETARD, DO YOU GET THAT????

christ, it's raining in the north of the country :rolleyes: or am i not allowed to make any weather related comments, i wouldn't want to bore you...

and the real irony, is that you have the second most posts in this thread :giggle:

EDIT: *this year

And bang goes my theory that his fingers have frozen to the keyboard Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrr! :thumbup:

And bang goes my theory that his fingers have frozen to the keyboard Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrr! :thumbup:

nah, i'm indoors, it's lovely inside, have i not mentioned that we are much better prepared for the cold, and have much higher energy efficiency over here? how slack of me, most remind you all more often :thumbup:

Guest Mee-9

It's all about adaptation to the climate.

In Norway, Yes they don't make a big deal of it, because snow is common. In England, we get it once a year? And people moan that our countries coming to a standstill. Go tell Mr Brown that we properly prepared, because theres not much more we can do when snow falls. :dunno:

EDIT: Began Snowing again in Rearsby (Near Syston) ;)

Edited by Leicester944

Apparently my Granddad use to ice skate from Wigston to town on the canals most winters when he was younger :D

that's nothing

my grandad used a pack of malemute huskies to get from anstey to shepshed to get to work ,

sometimes , if he got stuck he used to camp out in a makeshift igloo for the whole week to make sure he was promptly at his desk ( which he carved out of a solid block of ice )

my grandad was so cold in the makeshift igloo one night, that all his limbs were so badly frost bitten that they all fell off ,

but he demanded his friends should fasten some straps to his body and they use him as an extra sledge to carry an injured workmate home to safety

It's all about adaptation to the climate.

In Norway, Yes they don't make a big deal of it, because snow is common. In England, we get it once a year? And people moan that our countries coming to a standstill. Go tell Mr Brown that we properly prepared, because theres not much more we can do when snow falls. :dunno:

EDIT: Began Snowing again in Rearsby (Near Syston) ;)

except, that is the point, as i took the outrageous liberty to mention yesterday, it was all over the front pages of the newspapers - unfortunately, some people just don't want to hear about different aspects of life, about how things are different - i love hearing how life is different for the aussies on the board for example.

you are correct of course, and scandinava, canada etc have had to deal with wintery conditions on a more regular basis for a lot longer, but my experience of england, it is the quality of the response that is worrying, you know, just things like having a sensible pair of footwear for when it gets icy (and it is always icy in england, every winter).

and as i mentioned the other day, it seems strange that england still thinks the best way to deal with snow is to use salt, which just creates ice...

anyway, i've kept you all from insularly discussing snow long enough with my irrelevancies, carry on....

How different is the winter of 2010 from 1963?

This was the big one for me it went from Christmas until March. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8446942.stm

Leicester City with their famed tent were the Kings of the Ice and managed to complete plenty of home games, because most fans didn't have cars games weren't cancelled due to the surrounding areas but due to frozen pitches - no one had under-soil heating. I remember standing in the snow on the terraces at Filbert St.