Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Nintendo Wii

1 Wii + Wii fit + rayman raving rabbid... 269.02 GBP 269.02 GBP

1 Wii Play with Wii Remote (Wii) 32.89 GBP 32.89 GBP

1 Official Nintendo Wii Nunchuk Contro... 14.67 GBP 14.67 GBP

Oh.

My.

Giddy Aunt.

What have I done? :unsure: What have I done? :cry:

Someone hold me...

If this doesn't produce a total infactuation (ala iPod) within hours of opening on Chrissy Day then there's going to be moaning a-plenty.

I am very interested in the snow-boarding.

I reckon I'd be ace at snow-boarding, I have snow-boarding hips.

If this doesn't produce a total infactuation (ala iPod) within hours of opening on Chrissy Day then there's going to be moaning a-plenty.

I am very interested in the snow-boarding.

I reckon I'd be ace at snow-boarding, I have snow-boarding hips.

If you've never played WiiSports... you're in for a treat! Tennis is especially good! :thumbup:

Anyway Daggers... why now? 2 years later when "There are no good games, No HD, No online etc.!"??

Because it's not for me...

The kids' mates have them, their cousins have them and anything else the wife suggested was a little bit crap. Moreover, they know that I would never in a million years buy one because they know that I reckon the Wii is totally crap.

What better evidence for the existence of Prankster Santa can there be than the arrival of one of these under the tree? :D

And, as I say, I have snowboarding hips. :whistle:

Because it's not for me...

The kids' mates have them, their cousins have them and anything else the wife suggested was a little bit crap. Moreover, they know that I would never in a million years buy one because they know that I reckon the Wii is totally crap.

What better evidence for the existence of Prankster Santa can there be than the arrival of one of these under the tree? :D

And, as I say, I have snowboarding hips. :whistle:

Have you just got WiiFit or Shaun White's Snowboarding/Family Ski..

Because the Snowboarding in WiiFit is a little... errrm... Limited Good but limited!!!

I'm going to buy Shaun White

Oh Christ! This is terrible..I wrote the bloody word 'buy'! :cry:

:o

And did I see the word "Official" in you list of purchased goodies!!? :eek:

What happened to you Daggers? ... :nono:

lol:P

• 2 years later...

I was never interested in getting one of this generations consoles, but I grew up with Nintendo, and having got a Wii as a Christmas surprised I find the core titles for the machine (the Mario, Zelda, Metroid kinda games) as good as ever. Love Wii fit as well.

You'll only need a build up a collection of around 8 games and you'll find the kids are happy, happier than they'd be buying every £40 film tie in, every FIFA, every COD and stuff that people with an Xbox or PS3 seem to do. Being behind the times like I am, you'll find you can dip backwards into the catalogue and find that the best quality games are now much lower in price.

edit: didnt check the dates :P but still, my general message is that I'm happy with mine.

I was never interested in getting one of this generations consoles, but I grew up with Nintendo, and having got a Wii as a Christmas surprised I find the core titles for the machine (the Mario, Zelda, Metroid kinda games) as good as ever. Love Wii fit as well.

You'll only need a build up a collection of around 8 games and you'll find the kids are happy, happier than they'd be buying every £40 film tie in, every FIFA, every COD and stuff that people with an Xbox or PS3 seem to do. Being behind the times like I am, you'll find you can dip backwards into the catalogue and find that the best quality games are now much lower in price.

edit: didnt check the dates :P but still, my general message is that I'm happy with mine.

That's reassuring and echoes my own thoughts really, and like you I don't aspire to being at the cutting edge of gaming. We're mainly buying it for Wii Fit/Balance Board-feeble-attempt-at-getting-in-shape-fun, but since I've been 'encouraged' to make the purchase I've since discovered that you can get lovely things like Goldeneye and decent versions of the COD games that seem pretty cheap to me, and the gf has got to leave the house at some point. I've just discovered it's got wifi and I genuinely didn't know that

Goldeneye is lots of fun. Especially if you can get a few mates around.

It's alright, there are two main problems with the Nintendo Wii, numero uno for every decent game on there about 10-15 for Xbox/PS3 ganes that are as good or better, and the Wiimotes are now out dated by better technology on the other two consoles as well. And I did all that without mentioning the stone age graphics!

It's alright, there are two main problems with the Nintendo Wii, numero uno for every decent game on there about 10-15 for Xbox/PS3 ganes that are as good or better, and the Wiimotes are now out dated by better technology on the other two consoles as well. And I did all that without mentioning the stone age graphics!

This is true, but can you afford the 10-15 other great games per Wii game, or if you can, find the time for them? It's not all about the graphics in any case. I have a respectably specced PC but I still play games like the X-com series and Planescape Torment on it. Some people, like Bellend and Burnham I guess, are happy with their lot even if it's not cutting-edge (and PS3 and X-box are a good few years old now. I'm thinking this is probably the longest gap between "generations")

Go the Mario way. Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii will keep you happy for while, if you want to have local multiplayer fun. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are both amazing singleplayer fun. Only problem is, that Nintendo's first party games, like the ones mentioned, never really fall that much in price.

The new Donkey Kong game is awesome, if you like 2d platformers and a challenge.

Also, one of the most delightful gaming experiences I ever had is on the wii: Little King's Story:

Seriously, if one of your minions dies, you can attend their funeral the next day... I never forget, when I lost Caden... :cry:

This is true, but can you afford the 10-15 other great games per Wii game, or if you can, find the time for them? It's not all about the graphics in any case. I have a respectably specced PC but I still play games like the X-com series and Planescape Torment on it. Some people, like Bellend and Burnham I guess, are happy with their lot even if it's not cutting-edge (and PS3 and X-box are a good few years old now. I'm thinking this is probably the longest gap between "generations")

Well, I've had a ZX81, a Spectrum, a Commodore 64, an Amiga, a PC, a PS1 and a PS2 and I stopped there mainly because I couldn't really justify spending ever growing amounts of money and time on nicer looking versions of the same game. I'm pretty sure the Wii will be better than all of those in that list. My main telly isn't even HD, so the flashy stuff would be wasted on me anyway I reckon.

Thanks for the gaming suggestions, people.

Does anyone play any of these online?

Well, I've had a ZX81, a Spectrum, a Commodore 64, an Amiga, a PC, a PS1 and a PS2 and I stopped there mainly because I couldn't really justify spending ever growing amounts of money and time on nicer looking versions of the same game. I'm pretty sure the Wii will be better than all of those in that list. My main telly isn't even HD, so the flashy stuff would be wasted on me anyway I reckon.

I haven't played online yet but I hear Mario Kart is good online.

I've always quite liked single player games and multiplayer in the room - I prefer online gaming on my PC. I'd get COD or whatever on there, to me consoles are for less intense games. But its definitely personal preference.

If you played those consoles try some of the classic games from the Wii store. I loved Donkey Kong on the SNES, I'm gonna play through all three before I consider investing in Donkey Kong Country returns.

I have a copy of Worms for the Sega Megadrive, fully boxed with instructions.

The price label on the front says "£39.99". :ph34r:

In a world where drinks prices have gone from reasonable to just plain ridiculous as far as a pint goes (to name one example!), computer games haven't risen at all.

I have a copy of Worms for the Sega Megadrive, fully boxed with instructions.

The price label on the front says "£39.99". :ph34r:

In a world where drinks prices have gone from reasonable to just plain ridiculous as far as a pint goes (to name one example!), computer games haven't risen at all.

When I bought Jetpac for my Spectrum in 1983 it cost £5.50, and it's only the ignorance of the gaming public that means you cannot go and buy Jetpac 2011 from your favourite retailer, but if you could it would probably be more than that.

It's more the cumulative cost - if you bought every version of Call of Duty from the original one to Call of Duty: Two weeks leave in Skegness or whatever they're on now, you'd probably have spent more than it cost to buy a PS3. Or something. It's still pointing a gun at people with silly foreign voices and laughing as they die, but with more detailed facial hair and louder unwanted rock music.

I'm talking like an old person again, please ignore me

Being as it's more than two years since anyone posted on this thread, this is clearly the MUST HAVE console, which is great news as I've just bought one.

Stop laughing and tell me something good

love the wii. FIFA's a bit arcade-y but there are quality games on it.

Super Charged Mario Strikers is fun in a random way: Playing football where every tackle is pushing someone into an electric fence, where they can fall into lava, be smashed off the pitch by a cow/pick-up truck flying across the pitch, where every foul gets some crazy power-up (such as mario becoming huge and stepping on everyone or bananas), where some of the characters you can have on your team can do crazy things (hammer bros. throw hammers at the keeper before shooting if you hold shoot for long enough) - it's football, but not as we know.

The super mario titles are brilliant. COD is fairly good as is guitar hero. Wii sports/Wii play are quite fun as well. And that's just the games that come to mind straight away.

Archived