Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Biggest Sell-out Band of all time

There's been a lot made of Oasis and how brilliant they are recently (presents exhibit A - one Ash17LCFC).

The truth is this. They're not brilliant. They are both sold-out and have sold-out. In that they used to be rather good, but as soon as they got some recognition they ditched creativity in favour of chasing the safe money of Mr and Mrs Mediocre.

Let's face it, nothing sells like mediocrity (all you need to do is look at any chart of best selling media, music/film/tv) to find a whole raft of blandness to make Dido and the Lighthouse family look positively irridescent.*

However, Oasis aren't my all-time sold-their-soul band. That would be REM. Their albums up until Out of Time are total class and then they just plunge into a pit of AOR.

Can anyone better/(worse?) that?

*Actually I retract the comment = no one can be more bland than the Lighthouse Family and Dido (It's a joint 1st pairing!)

Foo Fighters have been a huge sell out in the past 2-3 years. Why they want to turn themselves into the new Red Hot Chili Peppers I don't know. They've moved from a great rock band to a middle of the road sell out.

Foo Fighters have been a huge sell out in the past 2-3 years. Why they want to turn themselves into the new Red Hot Chili Peppers I don't know. They've moved from a great rock band to a middle of the road sell out.

Wrong.

People seem to have a loose definition of 'selling out'.

The only band to have ever truly sold out it the Who. :whistle::P

Apart from music snobs who honestly gives a fvck.

I mean you don't start a rock band with the sole purpose of making music that only "the chosen few" will like do you?

Music snobs like to label others mainstream but how many of them bang on and on about the same bands all the fvcking time!

Grow up ffs(not aimed at you TLB just the my bands better then your band brigade)

Apart from music snobs who honestly gives a fvck.

I mean you don't start a rock band with the sole purpose of making music that only "the chosen few" will like do you?

Music snobs like to label others mainstream but how many of them bang on and on about the same bands all the fvcking time!

Grow up ffs(not aimed at you TLB just the my bands better then your band brigade)

I disagree.

There is nothing more disappointing than looking forward to a band releasing an album to find they have 'softened' it to appeal to a wider audience. Made it more commercially appealing to day time radio and the album charts etc etc. Nothing wrong with someone making a few quid but I find it disappointing when I find a band I like have changed their sound to cash in.

I dont care what music others like. I like the music I like and dont think poorly of people who like other bands, even those that have 'sold out'.

I disagree.

There is nothing more disappointing than looking forward to a band releasing an album to find they have 'softened' it to appeal to a wider audience. Made it more commercially appealing to day time radio and the album charts etc etc. Nothing wrong with someone making a few quid but I find it disappointing when I find a band I like have changed their sound to cash in.

I dont care what music others like. I like the music I like and dont think poorly of people who like other bands, even those that have 'sold out'.

Agreed :thumbup:

I disagree.

Spot on.

I disagree.

Listen when a band takes the big money deal(which is after all what they are in it for) they lose all control of what they are going to sound like. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the band. Their ass belongs to the man with the cash.

Listen when a band takes the big money deal(which is after all what they are in it for) they lose all control of what they are going to sound like. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the band. Their ass belongs to the man with the cash.

If the band/artists big enough it wont always be the case.

This is why it's such a shame so many independent labels/producers etc are packing it in.

The industry is littered with poor ex band members who left because they didn't want to sign over their creativity to the big labels.

Why do you think The Smiths broke up?

..........not that I'm saying Johnny Marr is poor!

I've always favoured indie bands myself but eventually the good ones will be signed up by a big label and hey if their next album is shite then you don't buy it and move on to another but you can't accuse them of selling out they're trying to make money like eveyone else.

Archived